3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Questions - VIN and REVO Reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:55 PM
EDR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Questions - VIN and REVO Reprogramming

I had my truck set up with Smarty REVO #3 and had to return it to stock when I took it in for service last week. But after returning it to the stock setting, I started the truck and the check engine light was lite. I checked the code with my Smarty, and it said something along the lines of "no VIN found (or available, or ?)."

I was running late so I cleared the code with the Smarty and took it in for service. The truck ran fine and the dealer didn't mention any VIN issues, so I don't think it was a problem, but now I'm concerned that my Smarty may do the same thing the next time I return it to stock and it may raise a flag.

Anyone have a VIN issue in the past or have ideas on how to correct the problem?

Also, when I reloaded the REVO #3 program the Smarty didn't give me the option of setting or adjusting the speed limiter, timing, etc.

Is that only available on the initial setup, or did I miss something along the way?

Any help would be appreciated - TIA!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went back to stock once and that happened to me. The truck ran for a few seconds, died and threw the code. I cleared it with the Smarty and everything was fine.

I got my Smarty issues resolved (I wanted less smoke) and reloaded it. Not had any problems since.

After clearing the code it has never came back. The only code I do have now is P0513 which is related to the SKIM key.

From what I've read and heard things like this sometimes happen when the dealer flashes the truck.

At any rate, don't worry, if for some reason the VIN is actually lost Bob and Marco can help you out. Its a common thing for some 03's to not have the last few numbers of the VIN programmed in and the Smarty won't recognize the ECM. Marco writes a program to add the entire VIN to those trucks and I'm sure he could do it for you too.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by EDR
Also, when I reloaded the REVO #3 program the Smarty didn't give me the option of setting or adjusting the speed limiter, timing, etc.
Is that only available on the initial setup, or did I miss something along the way?
That option is at the beginning, when you pick (1) for ECM or (2) for Adjust Settings, number two is where you can adjust the settings, then go back to number one to select the catcher software you want to run
Old 06-23-2008, 12:34 AM
EDR

Thanks! Hopefully my VIN issues are over and I'll have to start playing with my settings now that I know how!