3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Question!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been very happy with my 6-gun for over 1 1/2 years so far. But I to will be trying this stack soon. I been told its better if you turn off the safety's in the 6-gun though, run smarty on low levels and adjust with the banks, or go with higher smarty levels and leave the banks off.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:26 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To my knowledge you CANNOT turn off the safeties on the banks. If you have stock tranny, where you can hammer the truck all day with banks on six with no problems, you will tear up tranny with smarty over level 3. There really is that much difference in power, not just safeties, which there are none on Smarty to allow all that power. I would run Smarty at lower levels until you get tranny upgrades and add with Banks AFTER the TC is locked. Of course I have a Goerends tranny and just run Smarty at sw7 all the time and add banks.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 PM

With the 6-gun with PDA like I have you can tune every level. You can turn off tranny slip protection, add more or less fuel, and a few other parameters can be changed.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:25 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Gotcha! I don't have the PDA, so no extra tuning.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FastTaco
With the 6-gun with PDA like I have you can tune every level. You can turn off tranny slip protection, add more or less fuel, and a few other parameters can be changed.

yes it is adjustable, but the accelerator pump feature on the pda was crap and doesn't really yield any noticeable differences. The adjustability of the six gun is very small when it comes to trying to gain more power. It just lacked the cajones for all the $$$$ spent.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Banned

50 psi on a stock turbo is possible, Rstone did it for a while. I used to run 48psi through my stock turbo daily for months. Never had a problem.

As to how to fix it...idk. You need more than 32psi but less than 50. Try the aftermarket turbo version of the smarty without your boost fooler and check your max boost.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:23 PM
trx

Try the aftermarket turbo version of the smarty without your boost fooler and check your max boost.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:59 PM

I swore I saw 50# that day but I've not been able to reproduce it againMaybe I just thought it was at 50#.....after all I was trying to merge into traffic at 80 mph and trying to read all these gauges at the same glance.
Pyro,boost,fuel pump pressure,speedo,rpm, and 4 lanes of traffic....
I was probably mistaken. The highest I saw today was 42#, TC locked in OD
Have any of you guys showed 0 pressure on the fuel pump gauge with Smarty on SW3 before? Is there a way to check lowest pressure in the memory like there is on the high side?
Thanks, and by the way, I don't feel any more low end power with the Smarty on SW3 than I do with the banks unit alone set on 4, I thought the Smarty had alot of "instant" off idle response? Is that only in the higher settings?
Thaks again
Old 09-29-2007, 10:10 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by TNLoneWolf
I swore I saw 50# that day but I've not been able to reproduce it againMaybe I just thought it was at 50#.....after all I was trying to merge into traffic at 80 mph and trying to read all these gauges at the same glance.
Pyro,boost,fuel pump pressure,speedo,rpm, and 4 lanes of traffic....
I was probably mistaken. The highest I saw today was 42#, TC locked in OD
Have any of you guys showed 0 pressure on the fuel pump gauge with Smarty on SW3 before? Is there a way to check lowest pressure in the memory like there is on the high side?
Thanks, and by the way, I don't feel any more low end power with the Smarty on SW3 than I do with the banks unit alone set on 4, I thought the Smarty had alot of "instant" off idle response? Is that only in the higher settings?
Thaks again
Three points to keep in mind:

1, you have standard Smarty loaded, sw 3 is 60hp I believe. Banks on 4 is about 90-100hp.

2, most of that raving you hear is from the beta files which are pretty hot! If you want really down low, then beta 4.3 is really touchy on the throttle; for many folks it is too much! beta 4.4 smoothed that out a lot, but still a lot down low and can produce a lot of smoke if you are not throttle careful!

3, what TQ management are you running? And yes, just like your banks, the higher you go the more power... try sw9 on wild TQ one time just to see the difference!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
Three points to keep in mind:

1, you have standard Smarty loaded, sw 3 is 60hp I believe. Banks on 4 is about 90-100hp.

2, most of that raving you hear is from the beta files which are pretty hot! If you want really down low, then beta 4.3 is really touchy on the throttle; for many folks it is too much! beta 4.4 smoothed that out a lot, but still a lot down low and can produce a lot of smoke if you are not throttle careful!

3, what TQ management are you running? And yes, just like your banks, the higher you go the more power... try sw9 on wild TQ one time just to see the difference!
About your #3 point, are you saying that I can adjust the TQ on SW3?
If so then I'll bump it up a little....
Old 09-29-2007, 10:33 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by TNLoneWolf
About your #3 point, are you saying that I can adjust the TQ on SW3?
If so then I'll bump it up a little....
What you have to do is go to the MADS website and select the TQ management level program you want-- stock, mild (what Bob Wagner usually loads when he ships), moderate and wild. After you load that program, then choose sw3 or 5 or whatever. Just remember that less TQ management = harder on tranny. But will give you the low down you are looking for.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:35 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

FWIW-- I am just suggesting you load the wild and try it on sw9 for a day so you can see the difference you are asking about. Then I would say go back to where you are until you can upgrade the tranny. More power and more fun can equal broken truck!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:50 AM

Thanks "soul" , I'll check out the Mads site today!!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:04 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

No problem... just keep in mind that what you get there is still pretty mild compared to the beta files. Those will impress you... but, all that power comes at a price. I really don't want to see you run those files and break your truck then blame smarty. It has happened before!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:06 PM

Yea really, I'd be in trouble if I broke the tranny, since I use my truck for work....I'm not going to load up SW9 even once, cause if I do I'll want to keep it and that really would be dangerous. I have downloaded the Moderate TQ setting, and I think it along with the Banks will keep the tranny safe if I'm careful. SW4 with no timing gives a good amount of power down low and with the Banks unit set at 3 or 4 with the safeties seemed pretty nice this afternoon when I took ot out. It does smoke quite a bit if the OD is on with the TC locked with the switch, because it doesn't want to down-shift to 3rd. But if I hit the Tow/Haul switch and it drops to 3rd and then hit the TC switch, it pulls like mad without alot of smoke still a fair amount though.
Thanks for all your help "soul"