3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Question!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Question!!

With 41,000 plus members, I thought that there had to be a few that ran a Smarty and a Banks Six-Gun / Speed-loader combo. I should have my used Smarty by the weekend and was wondering which program to load. Check my Sig and help me out.
Thanks guys, this forum is the BEST!!
Old 09-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
do not go more than sw3 unless you have a built tranny (smarty alone). I don't know on a banks/smarty stack.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:40 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TNLoneWolf
With 41,000 plus members, I thought that there had to be a few that ran a Smarty and a Banks Six-Gun / Speed-loader combo. I should have my used Smarty by the weekend and was wondering which program to load. Check my Sig and help me out.
Thanks guys, this forum is the BEST!!

I have that stack. Just run smarty on sw 3 like said above until you can build a tranny. Leave banks off. You can use banks to a limited degree once the torque converter is locked to avoid tranny damage. If you choose to use the banks with smarty, use smarty on even numbered sw's like 2,4,6 etc. they have no added timing. I just run the odd numbers and leave banks off. The smarty is much stronger power wise than the banks and has none of the safety features of the banks.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:38 PM

I see your Smarty is a Beta unit, that's probably much stronger than the standard unit I'm getting. I also like the fact that the Banks unit has the safety features built into it. Hopefully, that will help my transmission hold up for a little while. I'll just have to experiment with different programs, thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:27 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

I see your Smarty is a Beta unit, that's probably much stronger than the standard unit I'm getting. I also like the fact that the Banks unit has the safety features built into it. Hopefully, that will help my transmission hold up for a little while. I'll just have to experiment with different programs, thanks.
Just to explain a little bit more and expand on the Banks safties/keep tranny togther comment-- You can leave your smarty off and keep the Banks on 6 and hammer the crap out the truck and the tranny will be just fine. I put over 100k on mine with the six-gun and when I swapped to the Goerend tranny, the stock tranny was still in "excellent" condition. But that is because the Banks simply doesn't really put out that much power and defuels for any reason it can. I've said this before here-- the tranny starts to slip, Banks defuels, you get high egts, it defuels, you step on the throttle, it defuels, you turn on the ignition switch, it defuels. I really feel Banks is one of-- if not THE-- safest box out there for the power. But it is also that reason that holds it back. And holds you back. You bought the Smarty, presumably, to have even more power. That's why I did anyway. To get that power, you have to lose those safeties to keep from being held back. That makes you the responsible party and your own warranty station. You just can't have it both ways. Because the Smarty makes so much more power than the Banks, you can tear up your tranny in a hurry if not careful. Just be wise with the throttle and programs until you can upgrade that tranny. I did, and I experienced no problems at all. I even had some fun time with full power runs and what not so I could enjoy the Smarty. The Beta is more powerful than the standard publicly available programs. Just stick with what the smarty comes loaded with until you start doing the supporting mods, be judicious with the throttle and you won't have any problems.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Banned

i give banks two thumbs down on the fun-o-meter!

brett
Old 09-24-2007, 04:18 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
i give banks two thumbs down on the fun-o-meter!

brett
I'm pretty sure banks broke the fun-o-meter!
I know it broke my wallet
Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 PM

Thanks Soulezoo, I apprieciate the help. Now I just have to be careful not to over do it with the Smarty......once it snaps a shaft.....you can't take it back!!
Old 09-24-2007, 11:20 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Thanks Soulezoo, I apprieciate the help. Now I just have to be careful not to over do it with the Smarty......once it snaps a shaft.....you can't take it back!!
It's the boosted launches that'll break a shaft...especially in 4wd. The smarty will only burn up the TC, warm some clutches and nice stuff like that.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:02 AM

I've got the Smarty set on SW3, yesterday I floored it getting on the interstate and the boost went to 50#, I nearly freaked! I have a boost fooler installed...should I remove the fooler or switch back to SW2?
thanks
Old 09-28-2007, 08:24 AM

50# on a stock turbo isn't the best thing for it at all. but instead of asking about stacking the smarty with the banks unit maybe you should be asking why only one guy on here is answering you about owning a banks unit
Old 09-28-2007, 09:06 AM

I don't think you're 'in the map' for the stock turbo at 50#. Probably no more hp than 40# or so. Plus I bet that thing is turning some SERIOUS rpm's. When they're going that fast, they won't last long. That's why the wastegate in on there, to prevent it from overspeeding.
Probably get the most efficiency from your turbo under 40#, but other people here will know better.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:33 AM

I put down over 400 with a Smarty and Banks six gun (no speed loader) with a slipping tranny, same tranny I have now. haha.. I leave Banks off now, and run Smarty on 3. I can now slip it if I want to with Smarty on 3 since I have hurt my trans.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

I've got the Smarty set on SW3, yesterday I floored it getting on the interstate and the boost went to 50#, I nearly freaked! I have a boost fooler installed...should I remove the fooler or switch back to SW2?
thanks
50?? Wow... I don't hit 50 with my twins. But I have a lot lower drive pressure and live at 4000' too...

I'd leave it alone-- something doesn't seem right about that. Either the reading or just a spike or something... I don't really know. I've just not heard about anyone with standard smarty on sw3, nothing else, hitting 50 with stock turbo. If you want to feel better about it, try sw2 and put your banks on sw2 (for timing...= better fuel milage). Something just doesn't seem right though.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by emfc_22
50# on a stock turbo isn't the best thing for it at all. but instead of asking about stacking the smarty with the banks unit maybe you should be asking why only one guy on here is answering you about owning a banks unit
What will that solve? Unlike some ppl, I didn't realize the banks was so overpriced compared to others(my fault of course). But I sure wouldn't throw away that much $$$ because of others opinions. It worked, it worked well, and it towed great. It didn't add as much as said, but it sure didn't destroy anything either.

Quick Reply: Smarty Question!!