3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Problem?...Bob, Marco?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I will be shipping another smarty overnight to brad to get this figured out.

Brad is a nice guy so I know we can get this figured out and hopefully this can help someone else in the future.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one thing that I think is funny is how these guys always say "IF it was the smarty"......
IF it was the Smarty, we'll know it! Bob is sending out a new unit overnight.
With the new unit we'll know for sure IF the problem was caused by us. Until then everything is an "IF". In the digital electronics field everything IS or IS NOT. Assumptions have no place in it. Thus "IF" until there's a proof, otherwise it's an assumption. I don't need assumptions I need facts! Everything else is just bla bla bla...

Clear as mud?

Marco
Old 02-20-2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
you should stop by and meet all the college station folks you see on here. some local guys have gotten smoke tickets actually....and i've only gotten the finger once for smoke. generally everyone here is cool with smoke....back home i had people following me chewing me out for black smoke...the cops back don't care though since they also drive modded cummins!
What kinda price tag is attatched to a smoke ticket by the way? And Yeah I will try and stop by I will be travelin home on the 2nd of March probably early in the day though. You guys all be busy that day?

And thanks marco for answerin my ? Marco/Bob, I just wanted to know since I think quad once said that one of the DL's used to change the overhead to read a higher # on the MPG meter and it just struck me as odd.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 PM

Good customer service Bob,Marco look forward to trying a Smarty out in the near future.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tristan21
What kinda price tag is attatched to a smoke ticket by the way? And Yeah I will try and stop by I will be travelin home on the 2nd of March probably early in the day though. You guys all be busy that day?
don't know the particulars on the smoke ticket, PM TheBigNasty.

march 2..someone will be around for sure....theres plenty of DTR guys in this town.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Ok, I got the new Smarty. And cleared my codes with it. Then loaded my stock program back in from my old Smarty. Then Downloaded level 5 with the new one, then back to stock. Hvac controls still don't work. Not sure if I am still going to get the other codes. Bob is going to talk to Marco some more. It seems to me that at one time or the other when I was loading the stock program in. It got corrupted. And now I am just downloading a bad stock program in and out of the truck. I dont know though. Maybe we will get this worked out.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Brad, Please fell free to try the stock software out of the other smarty that I sent you.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:09 PM

I am not sure if this has any Bering on your problem.. My 05.. Once in a while I will start the truck and the HVAC and power windows do not work.. Shut the truck off and restart and all work fine. I am just waiting for this to start happening on a regular basis to take it in to the dealer..

BTW.. no downloaders or boxes have ever been on the truck.. Maybe we have the same thing your has just progressed???
Old 02-22-2007, 07:07 PM

Bob, I couldn't download any stock software out of the new Smaty you sent me. When I plugged it in, it thought the truck was stock. Could only download Catcher settings. Is there anyway for you to email me a stock program than I can download into the Smarty?

Thanks for all your Help, Brad
Old 02-22-2007, 08:10 PM

Bob, Marco just to let yall know. I downloaded another program off the internet. Still the same problems. After I loaded the new program, I was setting in the driveway with the truck running. Started playing with the Hvac controls then while I was doing that. Everything dropped to 0, got all the ABS, Brake, check engine lights. And "no bus" where the mileage should be. Again I am not blaming the Smarty, but it sure does seem like the problem is linked.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:32 AM

sounds more like a "DODGE" problem then a smarty problem, dodge has major electrical issues they need too work out!!! I mean, i cant plug my truck into a gfi recepticle, infact since new it will trip gfi's, but regular outlets are fine.....too bad building codes call for all outside recepticles too be gfi!!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going out on a limb here but it appears that the HVAC control module is acting up. The PCI bus is getting corrupted for some reason and since all other devices are on the same bus it's tripping errors.
From what I have gather it's only doing it when you make changes to the HVAC.

I would try reseating the HVAC connection on back of the unit before doing anything else.

MikeyB
Old 02-23-2007, 08:09 AM

blcoonrod,
Having the first Smarty set an internal failure code... it was a little far fatched but it could have been ( don't know how! ) that your problem was caused by that Smarty. Now that you have a new unit and the problem still remains it's obvious that Smarty's programming has nothing to do with it.

It's not that you can't get rid of a corrupted SW! Again, chances that Smarty could download a corrupted SW into an ECM are close to zero. Maybe even less than that...Let's assume anyway that had happend with the defective unit. The new unit you received would have erased that SW and written a correct one into the ECM. Your ECM HAS a correct SW in it now. For SURE!

I think MikeyB hits the nail on it's head.

Marco
Old 02-23-2007, 08:14 AM

Started playing with the Hvac controls then while I was doing that. Everything dropped to 0, got all the ABS, Brake, check engine lights. And "no bus" where the mileage should be. Again I am not blaming the Smarty, but it sure does seem like the problem is linked.
Maybe this helps with the thinking...

The " PCI " bus used to connect all the various electronic modules in the truck is a single wire bus. Short just one wire to ground and what you get is a very dead bus. Thus all the light's you see.

To me it sounds very reasonable to assume that the HVAC module causes the problem on the bus. Since you say : "Started playing with the Hvac controls then while I was doing that. Everything dropped to 0, got all the ABS, Brake, check engine lights"......

Makes sense?

Marco
Old 02-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Marco
blcoonrod,
Having the first Smarty set an internal failure code... it was a little far fatched but it could have been ( don't know how! ) that your problem was caused by that Smarty. Now that you have a new unit and the problem still remains it's obvious that Smarty's programming has nothing to do with it.

It's not that you can't get rid of a corrupted SW! Again, chances that Smarty could download a corrupted SW into an ECM are close to zero. Maybe even less than that...Let's assume anyway that had happend with the defective unit. The new unit you received would have erased that SW and written a correct one into the ECM. Your ECM HAS a correct SW in it now. For SURE!

I think MikeyB hits the nail on it's head.

Marco
I agree with Marco and MikeyB... I think the problem is internally with the truck.. It's seems that the smarty and the truck are possible fighting each other or the truck is refusing any type of re-set.? I am not an expert by any means but I would unload the smarty and call the dealer.

Shane

Quick Reply: Smarty Problem?...Bob, Marco?