3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty POD ROCKS!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Brown's Diesel?

Originally Posted by Pitz
I met Marco over this last weekend, played on the dyno a little, and installed the new Smarty POD on my truck! Marco is a great guy, and that POD; WOW, is it nice. I get to keep my TNT/R turned up and ready to go without excessive smoke!

I've had some unfortunate experiences lately where I've had my Smarty turned down to something like 3... but really wished I had it on 9. Now, I can!

I really like the fact that I can cruise around, and bump it down to around 22 to 30 on the freeway- hopefully that might net a little better mpg. I did drive from Riverdale back to Riverside with the firm intention of testing the mpg. Unfortunately, I met another Dodge (Nice truck: Lift, edge sticker, and great exhaust) on the road going over the Tehachapi grade and decided to "play" a litle. I was up to setting 99 in two clicks of a button and push of the throttle!

It was great weekend, and worth the trip! THANKS MARCO!!!!
Were you at Brown's Diesel by some chance?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShakinRedCTD
I understand how the pud works. What I don't like us the wait time to change the programs. And I run level 9 all the time anyway. The only time I would ever need the pod is for towing. I am very happy with mine. I will continue to be content with it. But I for 1 think the r&d could have gone into a better box design and a mounting pod. These are just the ramblings of a happy customer. No pod for this guy though. I will put the 200 towards other mods.
Good for you...
Old 10-31-2008, 12:26 AM

I have not had a chance to do much reading on the new smarty program/device. And wont have to much time for the next few days. But I need something that will smoke less then my JR. on economy. Its become a pain pulling my boat and now that I cleaned it all up the smoke has ruined my logo's on my trailer and am sick of having to detail the boat every weekend multiple times from the smoke.

What im gathering is that i need to by the POD, or ask if they can upgrade my JR. Then turn the fueling down from my program enough to where the smoke stops? Or will it be able to quit smoking and still have the power im wanting? I hate towing 7-8klbs with stock tune. So maybe I could run the towing setting on my JR or like a setting 3 on the SR and just turn the fueling down till the smoke stops? Am I thinking in the right direction?

Sorry for the hijack, thanks for any help possible!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
I have not had a chance to do much reading on the new smarty program/device. And wont have to much time for the next few days. But I need something that will smoke less then my JR. on economy. Its become a pain pulling my boat and now that I cleaned it all up the smoke has ruined my logo's on my trailer and am sick of having to detail the boat every weekend multiple times from the smoke.

What im gathering is that i need to by the POD, or ask if they can upgrade my JR. Then turn the fueling down from my program enough to where the smoke stops? Or will it be able to quit smoking and still have the power im wanting? I hate towing 7-8klbs with stock tune. So maybe I could run the towing setting on my JR or like a setting 3 on the SR and just turn the fueling down till the smoke stops? Am I thinking in the right direction?

I hear ya but the power is worth every sore elbow. My white Dodge is never white on the rear box quarter panels!!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Danderson
Were you at Brown's Diesel by some chance?
Yep, Unfortunately, I had to go back to work, but I hear Erick's truck pulled 1127HP on #2 only! Reb's truck will hopefully be going on the rollers with Nitrous!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 AM

When they release the POD for the Jr, you'll be able to put it on a program, and then turn it down so it doesn't smoke.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:56 AM

Ahhh preciate it! I think I would rather the smarty SR, that way I will have the possiblity of higher HP. 100HP isnt enough anymore unfortunately. So I might be up for selling the jr and buying the SR with POD.

But when I turn it down is it gonna be laggy or powerless? I herd someone say you could make a valet mode out of it, thats not what im after by turning down the fuel.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:45 PM

Ahhh preciate it! I think I would rather the smarty SR, that way I will have the possiblity of higher HP. 100HP isnt enough anymore unfortunately. So I might be up for selling the jr and buying the SR with POD.

But when I turn it down is it gonna be laggy or powerless? I herd someone say you could make a valet mode out of it, thats not what im after by turning down the fuel.
I have the Smarty S06 POD. I used to have the Smarty Jr. It is definitely not laggy. It all depends on what percentage you use. I have mine set on SW #5 (100 HP) with Moderate Torque Management Timing all the way up. When I have it set on 40% it is still more responsive than Stock. At full power it outdoes what the Smarty Jr can do on SW#3 and I have way less smoke. Now if you go all the way down to 1% you can't drive it. Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Brown's Diesel

Originally Posted by Pitz
Yep, Unfortunately, I had to go back to work, but I hear Erick's truck pulled 1127HP on #2 only! Reb's truck will hopefully be going on the rollers with Nitrous!
I've never been there,but spoke to them by phone concerning a clutch install. They were very patient and knowledgable. I'd have to combine a road trip to make it worthwhile to use them. I'd sure have complete faith in them though.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Banned

Am I understanding this right?
All the pod is doing is acting like the accerator limiter.
If so, what's the advantage over using your foot?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by #2 only
Am I understanding this right?
All the pod is doing is acting like the accerator limiter.
If so, what's the advantage over using your foot?
negative, what they are talking about is if you have the PoD turned down to "01" the truck is so detuned that it can barely get out of it's own way. i don't know how much hp it is actually making but it feels like it's only making 50hp! the advantage that like the 12v's that were making 180hp and getting 20+mpg, that's how the PoD is intended to work. being able to switch from low hp to high hp on the fly is also a great feature.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by smoke19D
negative, what they are talking about is if you have the PoD turned down to "01" the truck is so detuned that it can barely get out of it's own way. i don't know how much hp it is actually making but it feels like it's only making 50hp! the advantage that like the 12v's that were making 180hp and getting 20+mpg, that's how the PoD is intended to work. being able to switch from low hp to high hp on the fly is also a great feature.
ok, but what's the difference between doing that and just controlling the pedal or running a lower sw? Does the pod offer more mpg than say sw1 with the most timing?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by #2 only
ok, but what's the difference between doing that and just controlling the pedal or running a lower sw? Does the pod offer more mpg than say sw1 with the most timing?
yes, you will get better fuel mileage with the pod. It works by letting you drive around with LESS horsepower than what you had stock but still has far better drivability. I have run every smarty tune since it came out and you can not control your fuel mileage with your foot near as well as the pod does. The beauty is you can leave it on #9 and turn it down and then 2 clicks of a button your back at full power--no downloading