3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty and my tranny/turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty and my tranny/turbo question

So, I know that I am killing my transmission slowly everytime I crank up the smarty. My question is, what am I breaking? Am I just hurting the torque convertor or am I burning up the clutches between the gears? I'm planning on a torque convertor in the ner future, but I wnat to know the price of waiting longer.

I'm also looking at getting a larger turbo. I'm thinking of getting and S300 and as I progress possible a twin setup with the stock HX 35, with the final outcome the s300 over the s400. Does anyone have a twin setu[p using the stocker and an s300? Does anyone use just an s300? Do I have enough fuel for a turbo upgrade? EGT's can get high so I really want to correct the situation so I don't have to watch it. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:13 PM

yup, you can do alot of damage if, lets say you brake an input shaft, which is what brakes all the time on stocker tranny's. you can cause a ton of damage.save up and get a good tranny, not just a tc.as far as your turbo situation using your stock turbo in twins IMO is just stupid.the s300 is good, call nathan at mpi, he nows everthing about them.what program are you running with the smarty, im pretty sure the 4;11 program runs cooler then most.i also would invest in a fass system, your gonna need it.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:56 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RJ285
So, I know that I am killing my transmission slowly everytime I crank up the smarty. My question is, what am I breaking? Am I just hurting the torque convertor or am I burning up the clutches between the gears? I'm planning on a torque convertor in the ner future, but I wnat to know the price of waiting longer.

I'm also looking at getting a larger turbo. I'm thinking of getting and S300 and as I progress possible a twin setup with the stock HX 35, with the final outcome the s300 over the s400. Does anyone have a twin setu[p using the stocker and an s300? Does anyone use just an s300? Do I have enough fuel for a turbo upgrade? EGT's can get high so I really want to correct the situation so I don't have to watch it. Thanks for the help guys.
A lot of good questions I'll give you an opinion in the order of your questions. First, tuning up the smarty can do damage to both the TC and the pack clutches inside. Quality of clutches, VB action and line pressures all play a role too. You could toast a whole tranny... although a former member here got quite the life with his. I do not recommend you try the same.

Second, your stock turbo is more than likely an HE341 and not an HX35. I am not aware of anyone that makes a twin kit utilizing the HE341. But the HE351 on the 04.5 and up trucks is used frequently with good results. Those use a s400 on the bottom. If you are looking for twins... I am selling my HX35 hybrid over BHT3B PDR twins... If interested, PM me. Plenty of folks use s300 derivatives to good success, BD being the first that comes to mind. Their regular twin set uses 2 differntly configured s300's. Yes, with the smarty alone is enough to warrant a turbo upgrade. It alone will push my twins pretty good. Even with a new turbo, you need to keep an eye on egts.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:31 PM

So i need another tranny. HTS is good hopefully. They're right here in lowel so we'll probably go with them. What shafts are needed for just a smarty? I plan on going higher in power, but it is going to be a slow progression.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can use stock shafts if you don't do 4wd boosted launches and the such... HTS is top notch... talk to them and go with their recommendations. You will probably want a billet input (and a few other goodies) at the minimum.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:45 PM

Someone just asked me how fast my truck is with just the smarty. Any opinions? I'm guessing 15 in quarter mile. Another question is how much hp will the CP3 handle before I need to upgrade? How many pony's will it take to do a 12 in the quarter?