3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty makes my ram chug?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty makes my ram chug?

I have been trying some different programs and none will make my truck stop chugging. What happens is I'll accellerate and then let of the throttle and my truck wants to keep going. Also notice it when crusing down the highway and pull a slight hill and then once I crest it and the load is gone I notice it chugging slightly.

If I remove my Smarty and just run my edge I have no problem with it then.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I like the power of the the smarty but don't think that it is real safe this way.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 11-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

It's a common problem Dustin. I don't know if it's only specific to certain softwares or all of them but, many have had the same issue. many have stopped using it because of the issue.

I know it's happen to me several times and the only way to stop it is to mash the peddle or turn the truck off.

The beta's especially can do it. The question has been broght up on several forums but, AFAIK, there's never been a answer for it. It's obviously in the programming somewhere.

You could write Bob and ask about it. Whether you hear back from him or not is a question though. I've sent several emails lately and can't ever get a response.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it has to do with pressure build up in the rail the truck will keep pulling until the pressure starts to drop most trucks running a program that adds pressure will get the surging or run away feeling
Old 11-10-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rpainter
it has to do with pressure build up in the rail the truck will keep pulling until the pressure starts to drop most trucks running a program that adds pressure will get the surging or run away feeling
That's how I feel about it. When I ran the Quad Race on the highest setting it would do that to me as well.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Well I wouldthink that it is caused be all the boost of the turbo still trying to turn the engine over even though you let of the throttle, when you turn up the truck it builds more boost and it has to go some where when you left off, Just my opinion, not sure if its right?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned

i think it might be written in to help prevent alot of guys having terrible turbo bark??

brett
Old 11-10-2007, 12:44 PM

A stock truck will do this.....both my 05 and 06 did.....go back to stock.....in a nice safe out of the way area....from a stop or slow speed, get on the throttle until you get to about 2-2.5k rpm and let off suddenly....it'll keep going....i think it's turbo related and the stock software has the logic to keep the turbo from barking....scarred the tar out of me and the family one day when i was darting in a praking lot....

I havent seen it on the freeway (stock or otherwise), and i actually dont have it with the beta software....that or i subconciously learned to drive around it???
Old 11-10-2007, 12:57 PM
KKB

I agree the stock software has this problem too. I also haven't noticed it nearly as bad with the beta 4.4.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:59 PM

But what is really weird is when I notice it at crusing speeds. Like I said before, when just cresting a hill at 60 mph and just letting off the throttle ever so slightly to maintain 60 (on the down side of the hill) i will get the chugging then some too. I wouldn't think that I would have my rail stacked that hard.

Thanks guys for the reply!!!

Dustin
Old 11-10-2007, 05:57 PM

Smarty doesnt have issues. Thats why everyone should buy one, at least one if not two in case the other fails.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by pos dodge
Smarty doesnt have issues. Thats why everyone should buy one, at least one if not two in case the other fails.
POS, if you've been around here long enough, you know people speak their mind if they dont like something, nothing's perfect, but 100's if not 1000's of positive posts don't lie.....in my case i explained my experience.....and it's a fact that the stock sw does do it....but that doesnt mean that the freeway occurance isnt an issue?? Don't be envious, you too could have a smarty! Maybe even 2!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:26 AM
KKB

Snoxracer, maybe with all of your other mods you have the Smarty does this on your truck. Where my truck is stock except Smarty on beta 4.4 S&B intake and Goerend tranny, maybe if I had all your other mods I would have the problem too. I have an idea give me everything on your truck so I can put it on mine and we will see if mine does this too.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:42 AM

I wasnt aiming that at you! And i was just kidding, i wish i had the cash i would buy one to check it out, like i did the C5 that is doing me no good right now.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:15 AM

No worries....how come the C5 isnt doing any good? I was thinking it would have a ton of potential....are they still working on it?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:19 PM

cant run it with the bd, to much timing. I havent figured out what can be ran with what, on what setting. Too much rattle when running together. Gave up.

Quick Reply: Smarty makes my ram chug?