3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Level while Towing Heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smarty Level while Towing Heavy?

Currently, while running around empty I have my Smarty set on SW 7. Truck is running great except maybe for a little timing rattle. I haven't abused the truck or tranny at slow speeds, but after the Torque Converter locks I have laid into it a few times. The power is awesome!!

I haven't towed with my truck any since I got the Smarty. So my question is, what is the best level to run it on while towing? Or should I just remove the Smarty altogether and go back to stock?

I will be towing a heavy Toy Hauler Travel Trailer loaded with several ATVs and gear through some hills. Tranny is a stock 48RE. Any advice?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing heavy

So what exactly are you saying when you say towing heavy? Are we talking 8k or 10k or abv?

I tow in that range very frequently and I use SW7 which may seem a bit high but there is less load on the engine with that power setting and therefore lower egts. One thing I found is that I turn off everything else,... the EZ and the TST which I use the by-pass plug on so power is from the SMARTY alone.

The SMARTY has given me the best towing experience I've had over everything else I have used and that's a lot of upgraders.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:01 AM

I would say #3 for yah if you are pulling your TT....Just watch your EGT gauge, and if things do not get hot at all, then you might be able to bump it up...

I have the OD in my trans hating me right now, and I am sad to say it, but I might be taking the SMARTY off for a while, till funds allow me to make a trip up to Iowa, and have a mild Goerends setup installed....
Old 11-09-2006, 07:07 AM

I would like to point out something about the tranny I don't hear mentioned too often.

One thing is the 47 Re as found in the 03-04 SO trucks. Another thing is the 48 RE from 04.5 up.

The 48 RE handles power adders MUCH better than the 47!
Just a heads up....

Marco
Old 11-09-2006, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My concern would be with the stock tranny. I would bump it down to level 3 or 1 to be safe.

MikeyB
Old 11-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Banned

Hey Marco,
I have been thinking about getting a smarty for my 06. Can I tow a 12,000 lb 5th wheel without gauges and worry about EGT's. What level should I run on.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bluebull
Hey Marco,
I have been thinking about getting a smarty for my 06. Can I tow a 12,000 lb 5th wheel without gauges and worry about EGT's. What level should I run on.
Not usre i would be comfortable towing with any box or programmer without gauges. Maybe the Smarty defuels with a cerntain amount of egts.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

the smarty does not defuel due to egt's. it is a downloader, it has no way to interface with a pyrometer. it has no way to tell what egt's are. it loads a program into the ecm, gets unplugged and put away.

I wouldnt add any fueling regardless of module or programmer claims without at least a pyro.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Banned

2 or 3.
I usually tow on 2 but lately have been towing more on 3. Seems to run a bit cooler and better mpg too, not much but better.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 PM

Variance in recommendations

The difference is the terrain that people travel and have to tow across. In Missouri what we would call hilly many of you would call a speed bump.

Marco is of course right on the tranny observation he made and again I have a maxed out 48re billet everything.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:46 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here
The difference is the terrain that people travel and have to tow across. In Missouri what we would call hilly many of you would call a speed bump.

Marco is of course right on the tranny observation he made and again I have a maxed out 48re billet everything.
A quick threadjack! How much power is that rig making Man? You have a ton of mods.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 AM

I would not tow without at least an EGT gauge with ANY power adder.
No matter which.

'Nough said?

Marco
Old 11-10-2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Don M
A quick threadjack! How much power is that rig making Man? You have a ton of mods.

Hey, im calling the police.....You HIJACKED my thread!! Oh wait, I am the police.

I'd be curious to know what kinda power he is making too!!! Probably a little more than me!
Old 11-10-2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here
So what exactly are you saying when you say towing heavy? Are we talking 8k or 10k or abv?

Probably about 11K. This is a Weekend Warrior Toyhauler and it's pretty heavy. I may also be pulling an 8000lb Powerjoke on a Gooseneck trailer, back to Texas too. So that trip may be 12-13K too or a little more.

It will work the truck a little, but I have pulled that much before. Just not with the Smarty or any other power adder. I will go ahead and power down to SW 3 and try that out. I have gauges to watch EGT, tranny temps, boost, and FP.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Marco
I would like to point out something about the tranny I don't hear mentioned too often.

One thing is the 47 Re as found in the 03-04 SO trucks. Another thing is the 48 RE from 04.5 up.

The 48 RE handles power adders MUCH better than the 47!
Just a heads up....

Marco
That is why im so torn about how far I want to upgrade my trans. It seems to be holding the power fine, but then again I don't abuse it. I'd sure like to put more power to the ground with an upgrade on the Valve Body and TQ Converter.......but I don't want to pay double labor on taking the trans back out to upgrade more later. Decisions, Decisions.

Thanks for your product Marco! I am really enjoying the Smarty on my truck.

Quick Reply: Smarty Level while Towing Heavy?