3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty jr./XZT 65hp combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty jr./XZT 65hp combo

is the XZT box doing anything around idle? seems smoother. does the XZT just raise rail pressure across the board and fool boost?

Sjr. is on the 100hp setting- truck runs good.... is there any need to back off any of the settings to keep the engine happy?

-truck isn't being used to tow anything with this setup- it's an '07 like mine-

GREG
Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Perty sure the XZT 65 hp box does timing, and pressure. Your Smarty Jr does timing. It is not a good stack combo. If you want to stack with a Smarty Jr., get a pressure only box or Quad II with the Pressure only tune. Stacking will burn down an engine in a heartbeat if done incorrectly.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 PM

XZT ties into the RP sensor, and the manifold press sensor. can it do timing by manipulating these sensors?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Perty sure the XZT 65 hp box does timing, and pressure. Your Smarty Jr does timing. It is not a good stack combo. If you want to stack with a Smarty Jr., get a pressure only box or Quad II with the Pressure only tune. Stacking will burn down an engine in a heartbeat if done incorrectly.
Its amazing how little is revealed concerning what these boxes do.

does anyone know the type of signal (resistance or voltage) the MAP sensor and the rail pressure transmit and what the ranges are? i'd like to run this box through a signal generator and see exactly what it's doing when, and whether the two have any effect on one another....

anybody got the pinout for the engine sensors?

GREG
Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by greg_bingham
XZT ties into the RP sensor, and the manifold press sensor. can it do timing by manipulating these sensors?
Yes, do a good bit of search around and you can find out exactly what each box or programmer does. Takes a little time.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Spooler,

sure, i know it manipulates the reading the computer 'sees' from the 2 sensors, allowing higher rail pressure, and higher boost..

i've never seen an input/output graph where anyone has actually run the span on a box (this or any other) and plotted input-output.

you're saying this box will add timing beyond what is directed by the remapped (smarty jr.) computer as it interprets the modified manifold pressure and rail pressure? how is that? how is it possible then to add only pressure to the mix then?

Greg (confused!)

if you arent
Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To my knowledge if a "chip" only plugs into the rail and map sensor it is a pressure box. I have read that higher rail pressure acts somewhat like advanced timing ie. more fuel sooner. I personally don't like pressure boxes. If you were to stack probably a 40hp setting might be better.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 PM

The different tone your engine produces is due to the timing changes. If you had the adjustable box you would be able to hear the difference on each level and yes it changes when the fuel is injected.