3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr vs Sr Technical Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Jr vs Sr Technical Questions...

So I've been ready a lot about the positive feedback of the Jr and it's really tempting at that price point! However, I have yet to find detailed information regarding the differences between the original and the new Jr.

1. There are only 3 programs... I can deal with that, but does the ability to program the unit let you choose WHICH 3 programs you want?

2. Related to #1... can I have the "less HP valet/fuel saver mode" if I give up one of the other settings?

3. Since the Jr. doesn't have duplicate programs "with timing" or "without timing" I am curious if the default programs do or don't advance the timing. I would think they do since the Jr. seems MPG focused, but I haven't found a definitive answer.

4. Are there any other reasons why someone who just wants ~50HP, better fuel mileage, and a smoother more efficiently running motor would run into a situation where the Sr. version would still be preferred over the "crippled" Jr. model?

I really like to tweak and play with different options which is why I like the idea of Smarty in the first place. I just want to make sure the only thing I'd really be missing is ability to raise the rev limiter and the insane HP settings.

Sorry if I missed it in my search, but if someone has a link to a thread where the technical details of the differences between each unit were discussed, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll attempt to answer your questions.

Originally Posted by thejeepdude
1. There are only 3 programs... I can deal with that, but does the ability to program the unit let you choose WHICH 3 programs you want?
The smarty jr's programs are equal to #1 - #3 - #5 on the Sr. Not positive but, I believe the mild 1,3,&5

2. Related to #1... can I have the "less HP valet/fuel saver mode" if I give up one of the other settings?
I would imagine that any of the downloadable softwares for the Jr are going to be the same #1 (40hp ) #3 (70hp ) & #5 (100hp) but, updated each time

3. Since the Jr. doesn't have duplicate programs "with timing" or "without timing" I am curious if the default programs do or don't advance the timing. I would think they do since the Jr. seems MPG focused, but I haven't found a definitive answer.
They all have timing add. Even # = no timing / Odd # = timing

4. Are there any other reasons why someone who just wants ~50HP, better fuel mileage, and a smoother more efficiently running motor would run into a situation where the Sr. version would still be preferred over the "crippled" Jr. model?
Other than having the option of adding more power, no. You could use the higher setting to possibly getting better mileage ( using timing tunes especially ) but, if you'll never want the extra power, I think you'd be better off with the Jr. ... my opinion :-)