3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr. vs. Quad X2

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good. But when I set it back to stock,will I lose my dealer installed pinion setting, & high idle? If I do, I can just re do them with the smarty?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by bigwheels94
Sounds good. But when I set it back to stock,will I lose my dealer installed pinion setting, & high idle? If I do, I can just re do them with the smarty?

You will not loose them...they're retained even when going back to stock.....FYI, once you load smarty, your not going to go back to stock for any longer than a service appointment......ever! :-)
Old 11-30-2007, 01:08 AM

I got an X2. I don't like how the Smarty loads itself into the factory computer, I would rather have a module that modifies factory signals because it can be cleanly removed. I also like the fuel pressure display and the change on the fly settings.

The only disadvantage is the X2 uses pressure which can cause injector failure, however quad claims that the X2 doesn't over do it. I haven't seen any injector failures due to running a quad so I suspect its fine.

schu
Old 11-30-2007, 01:23 AM

I ordered a Smarty Jr yesterday.....
From what i have read on this forum so far the X2's seem to have high EGT's..
Old 11-30-2007, 02:00 AM

I bought the Smarty Jr to stack with my X2 Std and to hopefully lower EGTs a bit. I can hit 1400* pretty quick with the X2 on 100 h.p. Figure I'll load SW#3 from the Jr then use the X2 Std add a bit more on the fly when needed.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Banned

I use to recommend a box or module to guys for adding power since I don't like the idea of programmers leaving traces in the ecm that a power enhancement was on the truck. Now since I have to remove these boxes and modules every time someone wants to go in for dealership service I recommend nothing but a SMARTY or SMARTY JR. All other programmers can be detected. Did I mention all other programmers can be detected. Smarty is the only programmer that can not be detected IF returned to stock setting before going to dealership.

The Smartys are simple and easy to put back to stock without any trace of them being on the truck.

The boxes and or modules are a real pain to remove and hook back up when they have to be run through the fire wall and installed neatly inside the cab. The one installed just under the hood are not so much of a pain but then theres not adjust on the fly either. I have had connector tabs brake off, gee there's a telltale sign something was installed on the truck. Cleaner looking connectors from disconnecting and reinstalling them. Remember, I've had to unhook these boxes and or modules many times and it's a real pain in the............................................... ..hands, back, neck, and shoulders. Bet you thought I was going to say.............now that's illegel on these forums .

Now before anyone jumps on the cheating the dealership or customers band wagon let me say this.
I do not advocate anyone lieing or cheating on some thing you created to get warranty work. The only reason for my advice on warranty work is for things that chrysler created and should fix without using excusses that something you did created the failure.

I'am also not affiliated with smarty or bob or marco in any way shape or forum so don't take my advice as a plug for them.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM

As the original poster to this thread, I wanted to update everyone...

I've placed an order for Smarty Jr. I did a lot of research and took into account the information people posted up. I agree, both products sound very good (according to current users).

My future plan is to stack X2 with Smarty Jr. I'll post up my impression once I load Smarty Jr. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by tincan
As the original poster to this thread, I wanted to update everyone...

I've placed an order for Smarty Jr. I did a lot of research and took into account the information people posted up. I agree, both products sound very good (according to current users).

My future plan is to stack X2 with Smarty Jr. I'll post up my impression once I load Smarty Jr. Thanks for the help guys.
Thank you for starting this thread -- a lot of my question have been answered. Just got back from the dealer 30 minutes ago, had the high idle feature enabled thanks to another thread where I learned about THAT.

Speed limiter? Had not heard about that -- what is that set at? Have only had mine up to 85 mph so far.

Tincan, I'd like to hear how you like the Smarty Jr.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:23 PM

I'm still on the fence. I'm waiting for someone to tow with a jr. up in the mountains,at wot., & tell us what thier EGT's were. With my set up, I don't get too hot 'till I get over 2700+/- rpm. Then it will go over 1400 if I stay in it. I'll buy a jr in a second if it will lower my EGT's, & give me the same, or more power in the process.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:33 AM

With the new software (smarty jr or sr.), you have to actually try to get the egt's above 1250*.....granted, this isnt towing, but absolutely flogging the truck, it is difficult to do....vs. a stock truck on a 1-100mph run you can easily get to 1400*.....so not a direct answer, but should help you feel comfortable that the smarty is an absolute way to lower your egt's....without doubt! Also, the new software is way less smoke....one of the main complaints i saw from the "towers' that use smarty.....You're in Washington State.....not sure how close to Bob Wagner....but see if you can setup a test drive....
Old 12-01-2007, 12:40 PM

I think he's a couple hours away from me, if he's who I think he is. Know how to get ahold of him?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by bigwheels94
I think he's a couple hours away from me, if he's who I think he is. Know how to get ahold of him?
Send him a PM from this site....