3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr. vs. Quad X2

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new to DTR and really finding out some good inputs. I too am having a problem figuring out what to put in. I pull some heavy trailers and need the stop light power. I don't think a smarty is in it for me had a programmer with my last truck and wasn't what I was looking for. I'm leaning towards the QUAD X2 or the EDGE JUICE. any help greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pull U 2
I'm assuming that the Jr does duration and timing but I haven't gotten a straight answer yet.
Forgot this one....on another post Bob Wagner stated that the jr. will have the sr, level 1,3,5 on it....and that means timing and duration, no pressure (at least for now) as only the beta 4.4 has pressure and it's not public release...the new beta's that are just now being released do not have pressure either.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Curbman
I don't think a smarty is in it for me had a programmer with my last truck and wasn't what I was looking for. I'm leaning towards the QUAD X2 or the EDGE JUICE. any help greatly appreciated.
Not all programmers are created equal....not sure what you had before, but search opinions on it vs. smarty....then try to find a member in your area and see if they'll let you try it....the power boxes (at least the quad and juice) are not known for their low end power....good safety features to be sure, but higher rpm power curves (2000k+ rpm)....may have changed with the quad x2
Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 AM

I have had a similar debate both are about the same moneyetc so you gotta ask yourself what you want I think I am going with the JR because it rewrites everyrthing remember that for a box to work it throws codesand stuff to fool the ecm into sending more fuel. Another thing is the reports of the average lower egt levels of the JR. Also something that appeals to me is the tire size adjustment. And finally the fact that the Smarty is DODGE only and that is all Marco works on makes me feel really good about it too.

Now if you want to play and horse around tha adjustability may be what you need so go for it.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback. It sounds like I can't go wrong with either one. I like the idea of stacking them.....after I save up enough money!

Which one has the most low end power and no smoke?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:41 AM

according to Marco those were some of the JRs highlights little to no smoke and good low end couple that with and intake and really open up the lowend
Old 11-25-2007, 12:09 PM

So by theory the Quad box should add more low end grunt since it adds pressure...
Old 11-25-2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by jonx15
So by theory the Quad box should add more low end grunt since it adds pressure...
Not necessairly....the smarty has never had pressure (except beta 4.4), and it's always had an excellent low end....the 4.4 with pressure makes it go from great to awesome....and i'd assume that at some point in the future the standard smarty softwares will have an option of pressure (aka beta 4.4), but that's just my speculation....

In the end guy's, both are very good, highly recommened products with lots of fan base and support on these forums....they stack well together....so get one, and if you need more, add the other in the future, if you dont need more, your set.....it's a no risk proposition

Just for the record, after i get a fuel pump, i'll be getting the standard x2 to stack with the smarty (so i can leave the smarty on level 5 and adjust the x2 from there - beta 4.4 scares the wife when she drives it)....just don't have the $'s right now.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:11 PM

I'm also thinking about getting a smarty jr. to stack with my XZT2. I've heard that there may be a problem with going back to stock with smarty on an older truck. Is this true?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:34 PM

I haven't heard of that....had no issue with my 05 or 06...and your 04.5 is identical to my 05.....and i go back to stock every time i go to the dealer....

The whole concept of the smarty is that it has the complete stock software on the unit....it doesnt backup your current ecm code....it just puts on the smarty code (complete ecm load) or the stock code (complete ecm load)....it's one reason they dont have near the problems of other programmers and offer undetectablity, and also why they cant do shift on the fly like the bully dog (partial ecm code update)

and fwiw for those of you on the fence with either...they'll both sell in the classified in about 10 minutes...so it's not like your stuck with them...
Old 11-25-2007, 05:11 PM

I heard that the new program won't go back into an older truck. Don't remember where I heard that either. May be BS. I would like to hear about what EGT's people have towing with the jr. I haven't had a chance to tow with my new XZT2 yet, but if it's the same as my old one, I can hit 1450* pretty easy on steep grades. I'll buy a jr. in a second if it lowers my EGT's with at least the same power my XZT has.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by bigwheels94
I heard that the new program won't go back into an older truck. Don't remember where I heard that either. May be BS. I would like to hear about what EGT's people have towing with the jr. I haven't had a chance to tow with my new XZT2 yet, but if it's the same as my old one, I can hit 1450* pretty easy on steep grades. I'll buy a jr. in a second if it lowers my EGT's with at least the same power my XZT has.
It's BS. The new programs work for the model year their designed....and you can go backward as long as there's not a chrysler update that makes it impossible to do (then you cant use the old programs....just the current ones)

For EGT's i cant tell you towing, but i can tell you stock, both my o5 and o6 would hit 1400+* unloaded.....with the smarty (especially the just released beta version), you have to really try to get to 1250*....WOT 0-100mph barely gets there.....the beta 4.4 is a tad hotter becasue of pressure and more agressive fueling, just geting to 1450* at 90-100 mph (level 7 / 9)
Old 11-25-2007, 08:53 PM

By updates, do you mean dealer reflashes? My truck has had a few. Changed several things on the programing. Higher alternater voltage, the way the door locks work, & stuff like that. I also have the pinion setting set for my tires. Will that be a problem? I have good relations with my dealer, & don't want to mess it up.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 PM

By updates, do you mean dealer reflashes?
-- yes

I also have the pinion setting set for my tires. Will that be a problem?
-- Nope, Smarty allows for tire size adjustment so there will be no difference, your tire size / speedo odo will all work as they should for your tire size.

As far as what else it changes....if you get the latest smarty download, it will have the latest dealer reflash (with all the chrysler changes) + the smarty perfromance tweeks + enable of high idle + removal of the speed limiter +,... i dont believe it messes with the door locks setting, fob operation,...it doesnt mess with mine...(auto lock at 15mph and fob unlock all doors on single click)...

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr. vs. Quad X2