3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr vs. 48RE, gauges and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smarty Jr vs. 48RE, gauges and warranty

Is it really true that the Smarty Jr?

1) Won't hurt/shorten the life of the 48RE (otherwise maintained according to mfr specs)

2) Doesn't require adding gauges or - at least - increase the need for gauges as compared to stock (for those who feel we need gauges for stock setups as well)?

3) Can't be detected if the program has been returned to stock? This is my biggest concern about getting one. I had a mild programmer in my PSD and I know they can be effective. But, I didn't risk my warranty as it was far out of warranty. I only have 38k on my 04.5. So, it's still covered by the Cummins and 7/70 powertrain warranties.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello

1. Not true.
2. May not be true. Depends on the level and truck condition.
3. Supposedly true and seems very reliable.

Damon
Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJMurvin
Is it really true that the Smarty Jr?

1) Won't hurt/shorten the life of the 48RE (otherwise maintained according to mfr specs)

2) Doesn't require adding gauges or - at least - increase the need for gauges as compared to stock (for those who feel we need gauges for stock setups as well)?

3) Can't be detected if the program has been returned to stock? This is my biggest concern about getting one. I had a mild programmer in my PSD and I know they can be effective. But, I didn't risk my warranty as it was far out of warranty. I only have 38k on my 04.5. So, it's still covered by the Cummins and 7/70 powertrain warranties.
1. For the smarty sr. the stated safe max was the level 3 or 60hp....so i don't think a very similiar 100hp on smarty jr should be considered to be the same as stock in regards to trans longevity.....

2. I'd get guages, that being said, if you're not towing, or running 1/4 miles (on the throttle a long time), you could be ok....but guages are relatively cheap ($300) and i personally wouldnt run without them

3. I havent seen a single post on here or on tdr about someone complaining about getting burned on warranty becasue of smarty....and Marco is a genious...he says it cool, then i believe him...i see the bigger problem as getting nailed for supporting mods like air intake, exhaust, guages, fuel pump....and all the bells and whistles that are requrired to effectively run any power adder....meaning you'll have to do some dancing at the dealer if you do have an issue and they're jerks about it....

FWIW.....from your post, i'd be inclined to say leave it stock...as awesome as the smarty is, there just isnt a way to add a bunch of power and expect everything to run as if it were stock....i havent had any issues running the smarty (15k on level 3 + 10k on beta 4.4)....but i dont drive like an idiot, and i do know that i'm taking life off my truck that i otherwise wouldnt be doing if it were stock (engine wear, u joints, trans, turbo....)...and i know that if something goes pop, it's my responsibility because i chose to play the game....

If you leave it on the 60/70 hp (or less) level and dont drive like a mad man, i don't see it causing too much more wear over stock....but you still need guages and dont punch it light to light or do boosted launches...or you'll definately wear your trans out

Sorry for rambling...hope this helps
Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jgiachino
1. For the smarty sr. the stated safe max was the level 3 or 60hp....so i don't think a very similiar 100hp on smarty jr should be considered to be the same as stock in regards to trans longevity.....

2. I'd get guages, that being said, if you're not towing, or running 1/4 miles (on the throttle a long time), you could be ok....but guages are relatively cheap ($300) and i personally wouldnt run without them

3. I havent seen a single post on here or on tdr about someone complaining about getting burned on warranty becasue of smarty....and Marco is a genious...he says it cool, then i believe him...i see the bigger problem as getting nailed for supporting mods like air intake, exhaust, guages, fuel pump....and all the bells and whistles that are requrired to effectively run any power adder....meaning you'll have to do some dancing at the dealer if you do have an issue and they're jerks about it....

FWIW.....from your post, i'd be inclined to say leave it stock...as awesome as the smarty is, there just isnt a way to add a bunch of power and expect everything to run as if it were stock....i havent had any issues running the smarty (15k on level 3 + 10k on beta 4.4)....but i dont drive like an idiot, and i do know that i'm taking life off my truck that i otherwise wouldnt be doing if it were stock (engine wear, u joints, trans, turbo....)...and i know that if something goes pop, it's my responsibility because i chose to play the game....

If you leave it on the 60/70 hp (or less) level and dont drive like a mad man, i don't see it causing too much more wear over stock....but you still need guages and dont punch it light to light or do boosted launches...or you'll definately wear your trans out

Sorry for rambling...hope this helps
No need to apologize for rambling. You didn't. It's all good information. My attraction to the Smarty Jr. was the claim that you don't need gauges and that it doesn't pose any additional risk to engine/trans. Maybe that should be taken with a grain of salt. I do tow a 10klb fifth wheel about 2-3 times a year for about 700mi r/t each time. I don't do boosted launches and pretty much drive it like and old lady the rest of the time. I like the concept of reduced EGTs and increased economy - and the increased power wouldn't hurt either. I wouldn't run it above the middle setting.

I don't really want to add gauges due to cost and the "attention" from the dealer. I installed gauges on my PSD and it wasn't that big of a deal - except I always worried about the pyro probe breaking off and lunching the turbo.

I'm still on the fence with this. Maybe I'll wait until I expire the 7/70 warranty. Having just turned 39k last night, it might take awhile.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 PM

I have the smarty Jr on the way. I've been using the quad standard for well over two years and I tow 12k severals times a year. It took me a while before I got the nerve to purchase a module.Once I installed it and towed I couldn't believe that i waited so long. I use the 60hp almost daily and on occasion I race away from a stop on the 100hp setting. No problems to report.
While I do have the full gauge setup I notice that under normal circumstances the egts are lower than stock. With smarty's reputation if Marco states that it's safe to use with out gauges and was specifically designed to be used safely with a stock drive train. Well then I believe him.
If you do the proper maintenance and don't abuse the truck you should be just fine...... Good Luck...
Old 01-24-2008, 08:34 PM

My attraction to the Smarty Jr. was the claim that you don't need gauges and that it doesn't pose any additional risk to engine/trans. Maybe that should be taken with a grain of salt.
--I based my comments on the smarty sr...and that's surely not claimed....so take my comments with a grain of salt...if Marco says it, i'm inclined to believe it...especially if you're not a nutjob on the driving like some (that'll hurt a stock truck with stock power)

I do tow a 10klb fifth wheel about 2-3 times a year for about 700mi r/t each time. I don't do boosted launches and pretty much drive it like and old lady the rest of the time. I like the concept of reduced EGTs and increased economy - and the increased power wouldn't hurt either. I wouldn't run it above the middle setting.

--The absolutely go for it, that's what the jr. was made for and you will love the diff in power / drivability and if you stay on the middle setting (what i did with stock trans), you are good to go....i just think the 100hp may get a little sporty (but i have no exp with the jr.)....

I don't really want to add gauges due to cost and the "attention" from the dealer. I installed gauges on my PSD and it wasn't that big of a deal - except I always worried about the pyro probe breaking off and lunching the turbo.
-- I can't see guages as being a problem..they're just for monitoring...no performance / mechanical alteration so if the dealer give a hard time about that, you're screwed no matter what you do (probably even if it's stock!)....

I'm still on the fence with this. Maybe I'll wait until I expire the 7/70 warranty. Having just turned 39k last night, it might take awhile.
--I'd say get it, run the 70hp tune, drive responsibly...and you have absolute minimal risk.... and enjoy the tar out of it ....it is the single best mod i've done to my truck...period! I'd just hate to see you miss out on 41k of enjoyment....look at all the positive feedback since it came out for the 3rd gens....we cant all be wrong!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:25 PM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
I was in your spot in December and I made the choice to get the jr. I have it on 70 hp now and have had no issues with trans shifting funny or feeling like its going to slip.

last couple of days I had it on 100hp and i love it!! trans shifts good and I really like that extra power. Trans seems to handle it just fine. I dont gun it from being stopped and i take it easy.

Im not getting gauges. with the jr you dont need to unless your towing over you GCWR I lot of people will disagree with me about gauges, but im not going to race my truck, or tow alot of weight on level 3

The Jr has been the best mod so far. Its really like getting a new truck. Smarty Jr is worth every penny for safe extra power. Its a good product for us that want some extra power with out having to beef up the transmission and worry about egt's. I think they did their homework on this one.

My only problem is power is addicting!!! I can see myself getting an aftermarket trans and getting the smarty with 9 levels in a few years
Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by BEARHUNTER

last couple of days I had it on 100hp and i love it!!

Im not getting gauges. with the jr you dont need to unless your towing over you GCWR I lot of people will disagree with me about gauges, but im not going to race my truck, or tow alot of weight on level 3
to spend lots of $$$ on mods, then skip gauges is rediculous! egt's while towing,even when stock, can exceed 1600* and you might want to know when that's happening if you care about your motor.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 AM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
Originally Posted by chipmonk
to spend lots of $$$ on mods, then skip gauges is rediculous! egt's while towing,even when stock, can exceed 1600* and you might want to know when that's happening if you care about your motor.
Like I said people wont agree with me on the gauges. i just dont think you need them with the smarty jr, if you stay with in its limits. It keeps egts lower than stock. My engine will be fine without the gauges.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:26 PM

I tend to agree with Bearhunter, there have been millions of these CTDs sold as work trucks ( without gauges ) and you rarely hear of a problem. In fact they are known to typically last alot longer than the rest of the truck. If you are not racing or towing heavy ( and don't lug the engine! ) I wouldn't be worried with the JR on levels 1 or 2. BP.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:04 PM

You probably don't need gauges. I always thought you did until I got a Smarty Jr. It actually runs at least 200 degrees cooler than STOCK on WOT runs and when towing. I have yet to be able to even get it past 1250 trying as hard as I can, loaded to GCWR and lugging it. I feel confident recommending this product without gauges. It is actually safer in my book to run Smarty JR software without gauges than running stock software without them. When I put my gauges on and pulled heavy on stock software it scared the crap out of me that I pulled like that for 50k and didn't even know how hot I had it running.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 PM

Hello guys, I personally am in the process of installing gauges into my truck. I also am not going to be racing my truck but I feel that gauges are invaluable, as early indication of a problems with our trucks. In my previous truck I had to replace the transmission because a valve had failed in the transmission and did not circulate the oil through two transmission coolers. If the truck had been equipped with a transmission temperature gauge this expense could have been avoided. Our trucks come with a hi temperature idiot light and according to Dodges technicians when this light comes on the temperature in the transmission has already damage the transmission components. I driver commercial trucks and rely on the gauges to let me know when operating temperatures and pressures are above their normal levels. This is just my opinion based on my personal experiences, another thing to consider is how long you plan on keeping your truck. I personally plan on having my current truck for the next 20 years, my last truck I had for fourteen years. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:04 AM

Nice first post lesimon! Welcome!

Thats a good point for gauges other than just EGT protection....i like to know everything is noremal....i can actually tell when my fuel filter needs to be replaced (drop in fp), general health (boost, egt's)...can ensure i'm not melting my trans on a 115* arizona summer day (trans temp),...and like to not let my stock turbo get over 40 psi (good luck with that, but at least i know) .....all for $300...i wont keep my truck for 14+ years...but she'll be around for 7+
Old 02-01-2008, 08:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BEARHUNTER
Like I said people wont agree with me on the gauges. i just dont think you need them with the smarty jr, if you stay with in its limits. It keeps egts lower than stock. My engine will be fine without the gauges.
True... one of the reasons I have the Jr... but I wont be without gauges either...

The Jr is great... EGT's are MUCH lower than stock at MUCH safer levels. I have mine on the 40hp setting, all I have tried, and am VERY impressed... response is great, power is great, EGTs are awesome....

You wont be disappointed... IMHO you need gauges less with the Jr than you do stock.... but I still wont be without at least boost and EGT.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jgiachino
Nice first post lesimon! Welcome!

Thats a good point for gauges other than just EGT protection....i like to know everything is noremal....i can actually tell when my fuel filter needs to be replaced (drop in fp), general health (boost, egt's)...can ensure i'm not melting my trans on a 115* arizona summer day (trans temp),...and like to not let my stock turbo get over 40 psi (good luck with that, but at least i know) .....all for $300...i wont keep my truck for 14+ years...but she'll be around for 7+
The trans temp gauge is one that I would like, even if I was all stock. I really think dodge should have put them in the trucks that are bought for towing! I think that the ford and chev's have them stock dont they?

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr vs. 48RE, gauges and warranty