3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr Power on Demand free download becomes availabel

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just drove around today messing around with POD (Level #3). You should try “0”, lol. I could put it to the floor in 2nd or 3rd and the boost wouldn’t go past 5PSI, the EGT wouldn’t get beyond 500 Deg, I couldn’t get much over 2000 RPMs and the truck drove like a snail. I doubt the truck could break too many speed limits in this configuration.

I was surprised how drivable the truck was even down to 30, however accelerating at 60 MPH in double OD wasn’t real fast. I punched it up to 99 and it was a whole new truck.

The power changes are quite obvious with a stick shift. I’m certain this new tune can help increase fuel mileage. I think we may see a whole new market of “de-tuning”. We may need a new “low performance” section in the forums.

I’ll set it at 65 and will see how that works for regular driving.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by purduepurdy
Bob/Marco: We need Smarty "add ons" we can purchase.
Yes! I'd too like to keep mine plugged in all the time
Old 01-25-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by eldgenb
I just bought mine here works fantastic very discrete.
Got it coming. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Wow!

Updated to PoD this morning. Running SW3 (TM3 TQ4) chg, I have a 46 mile each way commute on I-95 and got a 2+ MPG gain on the computer, 22.4 indicated. I had just filled up so will do a hand calc at fillup. But runs good on 40%, first tried 50%, noticibly less power but scoots pretty good. Better with the change

Updated with no problems. VERY COOL

Last edited by md-rebel; 01-27-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Updated TM TQ
Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Gang,
I've been KO'ed over the weekend, had fever, felt like flu....
Sorry for the missing customer service!

We had taken down the file for a while during the weekend because of error MSG's being reported multiple times. Then we realised that the "problem" was this. Once the Jr is updated to the PoD the truck has to be updated with the new software or obviously the power on demand will not work! Something I did not mention! OOOOPS, again sorry!

One really interesting thing with the PoD is the mileage gain.
I have done some rather extensive testing with our '06 test mule. I've found the most noticeable mileage gains in town / stop and go driving with the PoD set to 50 with the Performance software.

I would like to hear your unbiased real world numbers! Thus, for now I keep my mouth shut and wait for your results.

Keep 'em coming!
Thanks

Marco
Old 01-26-2009, 12:56 PM
EDR

Marco,

So, just to be clear, the initial Smarty Jr POD software did not change, it was just a software loading sequence error? I have the software loaded from last week and haven't had an issue, but I just want to make sure.

Also, what option settings did you have on your test mule as far as the TM & TQ? I have my truck loaded with the performance SW and I'm running it on 50% as well, but with TM-4 and TQ on 3 or 4. I plan to fill up this week and hand calculate my mileage to see what kind of improvements I see.

I don't know if we have "winter blend" fuel here in Southern NV, but that may impact the overall MPG numbers when comparing it to earlier results.

Finally, it would be good to hear if anyone has had an issue (electrical drain) or if it's okay to leave the Smarty hooked up.

Thanks again for your hard work and I hope you're feeling better,
A very satisfied customer
Old 01-26-2009, 01:23 PM

EDR,
the initial SW is OK. It's just that the customer HAS to download the PoD to the truck in order to get it to work.

The Smarty plugged in draws 20 milli amps. Less than the red led flashing on the the dash.

Marco
P.S. all my settings were on "default".
Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks Marco! I updated my truck last night, set it on performance mode, TM4, TQ default. Set POD to 50%. Definitely notice a decrease in "get up n' go", even compared to running "economy mode - all defaults" initially. At least as far as throttle responsivenes....
Have only driven to work this morning with the new settings, so no chance to check mileage yet. I may drop it back to full defaults on SW3 for this tank of fuel and go from there.
Question: When towing a 8K trailer, should I just leave it where it is, and increase to POD % as needed, or swap the software out to Tow mode??
Old 01-26-2009, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the current draw!! Wasn't for sure if something was running in the background inside of the smarty that might drain a battery after a few days. Doesnt look like I need a switch though. Just going to put in the storage bin under the middle seat like some have already.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM

Bob I'm sure it been metioned or not. But I updated tonite w/POD and it said erasing memory. I didn't put ecm back to stock before hand, There should be no issue there right. Also you say that it's more geared for those doing unloaded type of driving not heavy pulling. So lets say your on sw3 and Pod @ 60% and then you hook up to say your 9000lbs toyhauler. Would you suggest to reload the SW# w/TQ/TM your used to running under those condition instead of using POD feature. Not worried about mpgs to much then.
Marco and Bob thanks, wasn't to sure at first with this thing but after 2 months of playing it's very nice a tad more of a cloud then x2 but controlable.
Sorry one final thing you say smoke depends on fuel quality I buy Cheveron/ plud Stanadine wouldn't that be top quality over mom and pappy place, if so then I could cloud out the neiberhood with low qual. fuel for sure, don't want that.
Great Product, Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM

I AM DUMB
i cant get the drivers to work i followed the directions on the pdf
maybe its something else i go to upload the new software and the smarty usb application says that it isnt a smarty file?
the usb driver askes for a .smt file and the update is a .7z file
any ideas TIA
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 AM

The .7z file is a compressed file. You need to use a program like 7zip to uncrompress it. I use WinRaR which also works. Once it is ucompressed you will see the .SMT file.
Out of curiosity I want to know why it is compressed to begin with. The .7z file is 3.5MB and the .Smt file is 7MB. So you save 3.5MB but the user has to download 7zip which is 3MB so nothing is saved in the memory department and a good bit of users are confused by the .7z file. I think it would be worth the extra few seconds of download time to be able to download the .Smt file from the webpage.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 AM

thanks i will try that tonight
oh and as a side note i unloaded the Jr from my truck last night to upload the POD and wow what a difference it makes in the truck... i miss it
great work Marco on an amazing product
Old 01-27-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by WildBill79
The .7z file is a compressed file. You need to use a program like 7zip to uncrompress it. I use WinRaR which also works. Once it is ucompressed you will see the .SMT file.
Out of curiosity I want to know why it is compressed to begin with. The .7z file is 3.5MB and the .Smt file is 7MB. So you save 3.5MB but the user has to download 7zip which is 3MB so nothing is saved in the memory department and a good bit of users are confused by the .7z file. I think it would be worth the extra few seconds of download time to be able to download the .Smt file from the webpage.
Just nice for people on dial up. Its been awhile since I used 56k but I bet it takes longer than a few seconds. Guess they could use a .zip but all-in-all its a free download.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:01 PM

For me it was next to impossible w/dial up. It usually took about 25 min. but it would cut out before it fully downloaded so I had to have the programs emailed to me. DSL just became available where I live & now it takes about 6 sec. I sure disliked that dialup.

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr Power on Demand free download becomes availabel