3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr Power on Demand free download becomes availabel

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Jr Power on Demand free download becomes availabel

Gang,
yup, just like the title says! After long months of hard and difficult work, we have been able to get the Power on Demand software to work with today's Smarty Jr. We have found a way arround our own creation!

Let me expand the software talk a little further.
When we first released the Smarty Jr we did the best we could at that time to keep it's firmware as "open" to news as possible. Sure enough, the Power on Demand was not even on the horizon back then. Thus, we had to redo Jr's firmware / software remaining compatible with the original version. That was impossible for the S06 ( the S06's firmware is a couple years older than Jr's ) and very difficult and time consuming for the Junior. Yet, we did it!

Translated into real world language all the above means:
We will publish the Power on Demand software for the Smarty Jr for free download in the next days. We need to sort out a few last things, stay tuned!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM

For the newer guys, here is what the PoD does and how it works

Foreword:
The most frequent request we've had from our cutomers over the years is to change the power level of our downloaders “on the fly”. Without the need to download a different software each time. We started the R&D of such systems back in 2005.
Yet, we were never completely satisfied with the outcome. We wanted to be able to really fine tune the engine operating parameters and at the same time the “system” had to be simple, reliable, safe and FAST enough to gain the status of “ on the fly “. Our staff researched a totally new power tuning concept for years. Fast forward to today...

Power on Demand, in short PoD.

There are two distinct concepts involved with the PoD.
First and and most important, provide the ability to select the power output the customer wants within seconds. With the PoD this can be done with the engine off ( key on ), at idle or while driving the truck. The customer simply needs to plug the Smarty into the OBD port, select the PoD menu and type in a # comprised between 01 and 99. Where “99” is the full power potential of the performance software loaded into the ECM and “ 01 “ is the lowest power setting possible. In other words, the PoD allows to REDUCE the power output of the engine in 99 fine steps. From full power to hardly able to move the truck in just seconds!

This brings us to the second concept with the PoD.

MILEAGE.

Let's start this section with a question. Do you really always need even the stock power from the engine?

The stock Hp of the 5.9L Cummins engine has been increased from 180Hp to 300+ in less than ten years. How were we able to drive and tow with only 180 Hp back then? In turn the engines with the lower Hp rating did get better MPG's. The automotive world used the new injection and combustion technologies, that have become availabel with the introduction of electronic engine controls, to increase the horsepower output of the engines rather than for better fuel economy.

The equation goes like this : less horsepower = less fuel.

Think about situations like stop and go traffic, cruising at 60 Mph.... With todays fuel prices, wouldn't it be good to be able to REDUCE the power of the engine to less than stock? Maintaining all the engine tuning parameters, and in turn get better mileage! Less horsepower, less stress on all the drivetrain components equals to increased longevity too.

With the PoD's ability to fine tune the power this becomes a reality!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 AM

Power on Demand for the Smarty Jr instructions:

Foreword:
The Power On Demand ( PoD ) allows you to change the Hp output of the engine “on the fly”. That means that you can load the highest horsepower CaTCHER software you wish to use ( with all the usual REVO parameters ) and then with the PoD reduce the power from there. With the PoD this can be done with the engine off ( key on ), at idle or while driving the truck. You simply need to plug the Smarty Jr into the OBD port, select the PoD menu and select a # comprised between 00 and 99. Where “99” is the full power potential of the performance software loaded into the ECM and “ 00 “ is the lowest power setting.

How does it work?

Once you have updated your ECM with any of the performance softwares, Smarty becomes VIN # locked. The next time Smarty is plugged in the PoD menu will be displayed. Press the ▲key to enter the PoD menu section. The power selection page will appear. You only need to select any value from 99 down to 00 with the “▲”or “ ▼” keys. 99 is the full power of the CaTCHER software you have previously downloaded into the ECM, 00 is the lowest possible power setting. The upper line of the display will flash the value you have entered , pressing the “►” key will confirm your selection and transmit it to the truck. Now the upper display line will stop flashing. This confirms that the power level you have selected has been sent correctly to the truck. You can now unplug Smarty or with the “ ◄ “ key return to the power selection menu and change the power value again.

When will the selected power become active?
This depends upon the operation of the engine! In order to make the power change process as safe as possible, different ways to activate the newly selected power level have been built in. There are three different ways to program the PoD

1)The Engine is off, the key is in the run position.
Program the PoD level you want.
The next time the engine is started it will start with your power selection.

2)The truck is coasting and no throttle is applied during the power level change.
Press and release the throttle, the second time you press the throttle the power will be changed

3)The truck is driven with throttle applied.
Press and release the throttle twice, the third time you press the throttle the power will be changed
Old 01-15-2009, 11:04 AM

Marco,

not to hi-jack the thread but can the older S06 smarty's (ones purchased before POD) be updated to REVO or POD capablity?

thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Marco.. I look fwd to trying it out..
Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 PM

This is going to be so cool!!!! I can't wait.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Man I need to get my Smarty Jr.!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:32 PM

Too soon Marco! I almost dropped lots more coin to upgrade to the Senior for this feature! Now with the extra money saved... Many thanks Marco to you and your Team!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You lucky dogs!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 PM

So how do I tune the truck down to say 180HP for increased MPG. I am sick of getting 15 mpg. I do a lot of stop and go, running around town type driving.

Thanks.
Nate
Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 PM

Wow, this is awesome! Talk about getting value out of a product.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 PM

It sounds like this is just a new download? then when the desire to adjust the level on the fly you plug in the JR? Or do I need to buy a new controller of some type? Help me understand the interface. I understand the level % thing.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 PM

you just use the smarty jr to change the level, you can just keep it plugged in. I am going to buy that cable that has the 90 degree connector on it, and route the cable thru the dash and mount the smarty jr somewhere easily accessable. Just like the smarty sr, this is no other interface, you just use the jr.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:55 AM
tcr

Way to go Marco! Always taking care of your customers! and people wonder why everyone says Smarty is the only way to go; this is why.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:21 AM

I am so glad I bought the Smarty. Great product!!!! Thanks Marco & Bob.

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr Power on Demand free download becomes availabel