3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr. good for injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smarty Jr. good for injectors?

I thought I saw a thread here (can't seem to find it now) where someone claimed that the Smarty Jr. was actually beneficial to the injectors. Was that someone blowing smoke (no pun intended) or is there some legit basis for that claim?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told this too. I started having injector problems (rough idle that occasionally would get worse). This was about 20K miles ago at about 74K on the odometer. I was already out of warranty (time wise) and didn’t want to take it to the dealer anyway (plus I wanted to install a Smarty Jr).

So I researched a good local Cummins shop that had a good reputation – and he sold Smarty’s. The owner/mechanic checked everything out and said the rough idle was likely due to injector deposits. He attributed this in part to my reported babying of the truck. I don’t tow, I drive like an old lady (mostly for mileage), so he was probably right. Anyway, he recommended 5 gallons of bio-diesel (his own which he said was highly refined), and two bottles of RedLine Diesel Catalyst (I called redline and confirmed this was OK). The bio and redline were put into a full tank.

But add to this, he said the smarty would slightly raise the rail pressure, and he said this could easily help my problem with deposits formed by driving light-footed and light loaded.

Anyway, it’s been more than 20K miles and no more rough idle. Honestly, once the smarty was installed (I keep it at 100% full POD setting) the truck has never run and felt so good. It just purrs. It starts easier, runs smoother, handles much better… it seems so natural, like Dodge/Cummins should have made it that way from the factory! God bless Smarty.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Ex
... handles much better… it seems so natural, like Dodge/Cummins should have made it that way from the factory! God bless Smarty.
Now THAT'S impressive!!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smarty Jr does not raise rail pressure. Smarty Sr can.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run a JR.
I still get an awful idle sometimes.
I think it's due to the poor fuel quality now days.