3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smarty Jr and Booost Too high

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smarty Jr and Boost Too high

Ok guys I need your help on this, I have a 2004 Ram 2500 5.9 all stock exccept for the Smarty Jr on level 2 for pulling my travel trailer and Quadzilla comander to read what happening. I noticed the other day that when I put my foot down, not really flooring it either, just a heavy foot, my boost gauge on the quadzilla commander reads 28-35psi. I changed the truck back to stock and the Boost still read the same 28-35 psi, so here is my question,
1, Could the commander be reading boost wrong( the engine temp runs 25-30 degrees higher from time to time then the dash display.
2. What is a cheap way to test the boost to see if the commander is correct?
3.What kind of damage am I doing to the engine at that PSI? or should the stock computer limit the engines ability to produce those high numbers?
4. Could there be something wrong with the waste gate? how do I test this?

Honestly the truck just does not seam to have the get up and go since this cold weather has come in, or is it a false reading since I'm worried about the boost and backing off before the engine really gets into it;s power range.

Thanks all
Vince
Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jr stays within stock boost levels. Stock max boost and jr max boost should be similar. Timing adds power and where the power is added is different too. I see more boost sooner with the JR than stock.

Commander would be reading "boost" off of the MAP sensor Manifold absolute pressure. It does not see the same boost as a actual boost gauge would. Since you have a '04.5 you have the electronic wastegate. A friend of mine with a Jr on his '05 6sp will see 35-36psi on tow. That seems normal.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That boost level with your stock turbo is no problem. If you had a boost fooler you would do 38PSI. No biggy. It's all controled by the ECM. Cold weather will make your truck feel a little slow sometimes. Keep rolling.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:59 AM

What are the acceptable levels for PSI on a stock Turbo? I was told do not push it past 30PSI. Is there a way to test the waste gate? Can it be manually cycled to check for correct operation?
Old 01-13-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CRToney
Jr stays within stock boost levels. Stock max boost and jr max boost should be similar. Timing adds power and where the power is added is different too. I see more boost sooner with the JR than stock.
The Jr boost levels are actually a bit above stock. The Jr disables the WG, so the boost is not limited.

A stock 04.5-07 5.9 makes 32psi of boost stock. Much over 32 would set an overboost code, so I wonder if the commander is accurate.

The Smarty Jr on SW1 (which is stock fueling, just timing) will build 35psi of boost. SW2 and SW3 will build 3-5psi more than that.

The HE351 is efficient to about 35 when it comes to drive pressure (above 2500-2700 rpms). The turbo itself is good to 38-40 as a general max, but drive pressure is crazy.

The JR on SW1 will actually build boost a little slower as the timing keeps more of the engery in the cylinder, but SW2 and SW3 will build a little sooner due to the extra fueling. (Depengind on TQ management you can also speed up spooling in SW1-3).

There has been some discussion with Marco (MADS Programmer) about setting the WG to operate again, but at a higher pressure than stock, say 33,35,37. This would keep the boost in the safe range and lower the crazy drive pressures seen at high boost on a HE351.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silver_2000_tj
What are the acceptable levels for PSI on a stock Turbo? I was told do not push it past 30PSI. Is there a way to test the waste gate? Can it be manually cycled to check for correct operation?
The 28-35 psi is just fine with the JR and a stock turbo. Much more boost and its mostly hot air and drive pressures start to get high.

When its cold your loosing more power from the combustion to keep the exhaust hot and coolant up to temp. They just feel a little off in the cold unless oyu feed them more fuel.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=AH64ID;2676937]The Jr boost levels are actually a bit above stock. The Jr disables the WG, so the boost is not limited.

A stock 04.5-07 5.9 makes 32psi of boost stock. Much over 32 would set an overboost code, so I wonder if the commander is accurate.

AH64ID makes a good point regarding the accuracy of the Commander. You may want to go to the Quadzilla website and download the latest USB update for the Commander. I recently contacted their technical services representative regarding an issue with accuracy. The representative recommended that I download the latest update directly to the Commander unit in order to resolve the issue. After doing so,the unit has performed flawlessly.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Nope, thats incorrect. Stock tune will make 40 psi of boost at 3200 rpm's with a boost fooler and loaded correctly, slightly over that if the WG is off.

At 35 psi it may\may not set a boost code. It seems to depend on a time factor also.

Agreed the Commander, any electronic reader for that matter, is suspect on its readings unless backed up with an analog gauge.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 PM

I have an Attitude monitor, and a boost gauge, the att monitor is never the same reading as my boost gauge. About 1 - 3 psi higher on hard accerleration and about 1 - 3 lower during steady highway driving. Max I have seen on my boost gauge is 40 psi while the Att. monitor has had a max reading of 43 psi. For what it's worth this is what I have seen and your commander is similar to the Att. monitor.

Jason
Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Nope, thats incorrect. Stock tune will make 40 psi of boost at 3200 rpm's with a boost fooler and loaded correctly, slightly over that if the WG is off.
A Boost fooler isn't stock now is it? Stock is limited to 32psi, and generally holds 28-30psi without a load and 28-32 with a large load.

But yes a stock tune will make more than a SJR SW1 will becuase of the retarded timing (I would hate to see DP above 35psi.. since at 35psi its around 60psi).

WG off should make zero differnce if you have a boost fooler hooked up, the boost never gets to the point where the WG would open.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AH64ID
A Boost fooler isn't stock now is it? Stock is limited to 32psi, and generally holds 28-30psi without a load and 28-32 with a large load.

But yes a stock tune will make more than a SJR SW1 will becuase of the retarded timing (I would hate to see DP above 35psi.. since at 35psi its around 60psi).

WG off should make zero differnce if you have a boost fooler hooked up, the boost never gets to the point where the WG would open.
Thats a question for the OP, does he have a boost fooler? He says stock but a boost fooler could be overlooked as it adds no power. That and am not sure how the Commander hooks up, does it hook to the MAP or scan port? Is the Commander possibly fooling if it hooks to the MAP?

The 35 psi on an electronic gauge is not out of line for stock tune and no fooling. Seen an Attittude do that constantly so I never trust the electro gauges.

With the JR on SW #2 is 28-35 psi a valid range compared to your truck? The advanced timing would chop the max boost a little so its net zero gain?

Does the JR have the WG off option? Did it not turn it back on when he set it back to stock? Electronics do some unusual things sometimes and that WG option on Smarty is a little funky at times anyway.

FYI, depending on how many rpm's I run the engine 35 psi most times will only net 45-50 psi of DP. If I can keep the rpm's under 2500-2600 DP never tops 1:1.4. Thats not too bad a trade off for a quick spool turbo and the amount of boost it makes.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Thats a question for the OP, does he have a boost fooler? He says stock but a boost fooler could be overlooked as it adds no power. That and am not sure how the Commander hooks up, does it hook to the MAP or scan port? Is the Commander possibly fooling if it hooks to the MAP?

The 35 psi on an electronic gauge is not out of line for stock tune and no fooling. Seen an Attittude do that constantly so I never trust the electro gauges.

With the JR on SW #2 is 28-35 psi a valid range compared to your truck? The advanced timing would chop the max boost a little so its net zero gain?

Does the JR have the WG off option? Did it not turn it back on when he set it back to stock? Electronics do some unusual things sometimes and that WG option on Smarty is a little funky at times anyway.

FYI, depending on how many rpm's I run the engine 35 psi most times will only net 45-50 psi of DP. If I can keep the rpm's under 2500-2600 DP never tops 1:1.4. Thats not too bad a trade off for a quick spool turbo and the amount of boost it makes.
I havent ever really run SW2, but SW1 will net 28-35 if I am on it... Yeah DP isn't bad until the 2400-2500+ rpm range.. then watch out! But yes below 2400-2500 the HE351 is a great turbo...

The Jr has no WG option (thou marco claims a ON, 33, 35, 37, etc, OFF is in the works)..

Back at stock is just that, stock. normal WG operation.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:22 PM

Hey guys no boost fooler here, just a Smarty Jr and Commander for the guages other then that nothing else added or removed
Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 PM

Then I would guess the commander isn't 100% accurate.