3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr Beta

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cat fell off a long time ago. I am not noticing any mileage gains yet but I tow sometimes, sometimes I dont so its really hard to guage mileage. If I am in overdrive pulling my trailer and push the pedal without letting it downshift it leaves quite a bit of a trail.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:59 PM

Maybe I jumped on the band wagon too soon. Santa brought me a Jr. for Christmas but I have'nt even taken it out of the plastic yet, think I'll hold on a little longer and see if this smoke thing gets worked out.
May be for sale in a little while.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:29 AM

What a waste.. Why not try it out first and see how it does? Autos smoke less anyways but what's the problem with a little black smoke?? it's a friggin diesel... But just so you know not everyone has this "trouble" mine's been on since december with no change at all in the smokiness. Right from the start if I wanted to see smoke I could. Most of the time I don't, so I don't.. Jr beta's? didn't know there was such a thing, what is the world coming to?
Old 05-03-2008, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by scott hall
Maybe I jumped on the band wagon too soon. Santa brought me a Jr. for Christmas but I have'nt even taken it out of the plastic yet, think I'll hold on a little longer and see if this smoke thing gets worked out.
May be for sale in a little while.
Your gonna sell it before you even try it....?? Your loss! FYI, i have the senior and an auto....doesnt really smoke unless you want it too....he!!, i can control the smoke on beta 4.4 level 9....just pay attention to how you drive.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:14 AM

I'm also a JR user who has had no issues with smoke, on any of the three settings.

I love this thing.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:29 AM

It looks like you guys that say the jr. is not smokey have autos. I would like to know if the sr. has the same smoke issue on the low levels?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:36 AM

To you guys that don't see smoke. Hook a trailer up and tow it for 100 miles and then look at what you get to wash every time you tow. Heck I can see smoke out the exhaust driving steady at 65 MPH without pushing on the throttle, just steady cruising. Mines an auto also. I bought this Jr. on the thought it was made with stock trucks and towing in mind. Mine also seems to work fine non towing. But that brings up other questions.

Makes me question though if all that soot is going to make the cat die early. As far as the lower exhaust temperatures the heat has to be somewhere for the fuel burned. I have read your not seeing extra heat in the exhaust manifold is because that heat says in the cylinders and is absorbed internally. Also increased pressures can ocure in the cylinders. I'am sure everything is fine though. They've done their home work and did it right the first time so they say.

eldgenb,
I would rather tow a trailer in stock mode than tow without a muffler and cat. Did that on a previous truck and spent more money trying to quiet the thing down than it was worth. Even after spending tons of money on the exhaust it still would drive you nuts towing any distance. Guys who have done this know what I'am talking about.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:23 PM

On my truck while towing our toyhauler 8k pounds the truck smokes a little on level 2. Only when it is lugged in OD, around 1400 rpm's. The truck gives a little light puff with slightly aggressive driving. There is no soot on the white trailer, dirt and road grime are another thing with certain tires.

I know that if I roll into the throttle over 1-2 seconds it won't smoke much at all. If you drive it like a gasser and stab the throttle it will leave a progressivly larger black puff that quickly goes grey.

The soot concern I think is being over thought, think of all of the hard driven black smoke puffin 3rd gens that haven't plugged any cat. Has anyone ever herd of a 5.9l cat being plugged?

I will not be removing the cat, unless I hear hissing or drivability problems that make me think cat. Just to noisey for me.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:16 PM

Per my previous post, i have the Smarty Sr......i do not tow, and i run on Beta 4.4 Level 9....and i still dont think the smoke's an issue....you just drive normally and don't lug it or floor it and it's not an issue....if you do, expect smoke...more on the level i run...drove level 3 for a long time before trans...

i'm not personally worried about the cat...as there hasnt been a single post on DTR or TDR in the last three years where that has mentioned and issue...now i may have missed it if there was one, but surely it's not an epedimic vs. the number of smarty's on the road in the past years....
Old 05-03-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am running the 2nd beta software and smoke is about 30% of the standard software.... Marco will get it there eventually.... IMHO (not a ECU GOD) the timing needs to be retarded a little in the low rpms, but thats just a guess... but SW#1 only does timing, so too much smoke on SW#1 tells me too much timing....

I really like the Jr, especially compared to stock tq management... but I wonder about the kitty too... plus smoke is wasted fuel, I dont want to waste fuel on the fuel economy setting.

I am back on stock software right now as I had some weird things after 5 days with the beta software. The radio quit shutting off when I turned the key off, stayed on for 2-3 seconds and the key in ignition buzzer would sound for 10 seconds after I removed the key with the door open.... Went back to stock and the issues stopped.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 PM

Smile

Mine only smokes on level 2 & 3, only when I want it to. If I drive it nice and accel normal it don't smoke but if I hit it hard or let it load up I can make it smoke on demand, it don't change when I hook up my boat or 26 foot travel trailer. So I'm pretty happy with the Smarty Jr. as is.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:46 PM

too much smoke for me,even an inch of throttle produces a nice cloud.but on a positive note the engine has never run smoother.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 PM

Maybe some of you guys with '03s and a Smarty jr. should have your injectors checked out. We drive an '03 with a manual and Flux injectors(small), old B1 turbo and SJr.; never see any smoke on any level, towing or not.

Reason I say this is that I have seen alot of '03s bone stock that smoke like a frieght train because of bad injectors. Mileage also suffers. The Smarty Jr. would exploite this problem and make smoke even worse.

JD
Old 05-03-2008, 11:10 PM

I have an 03 HO Auto with the stock exhaust(no cat) and don't see hardly any smoke. On take a off there is barely a noticeable little puff on full throttle in the 70 hp setting. You have to really look for it too.

Maybe a straight through muffler increases smoke?

I guess I will find out as I just ordered a 4" exhaust system.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by silkey
too much smoke for me,even an inch of throttle produces a nice cloud.but on a positive note the engine has never run smoother.
Fill out your sig so we know what your truck is....

The vast majority of the smoke issues are from 04.5+ trucks with a hand shaker, if you have excessive smoke and not in that category I would think it could be something else contributing, dirty air filter, fuel filter, dirty injector??? Something that the SJr may have compounded on...

Another observation is that the smoke gets worse as the outside temp warms up, which is why there weren't many smoke complaints when it came out this winter, now its warm and smoke is there.

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr Beta