3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Info for the 3rd gen stepchild

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Info for the 3rd gen stepchild

Ok Bob and Marco, how about some information on the Smarty Jr for the 3rd gen. redheaded stepchild, of Dodge diesel trucks, the 03 SO with the 47RE
transmission.
Some of us will not add any aftermarket upgrade for fear of destroying
this "weak link" in the Ram drive line.

Thanks
BCD

Old 01-13-2008, 08:55 PM

SmartyJr or MMM w/ stepchild (2003 S.O. w/ 47RE)

Well I'm brand new to the diesel / Dodge world. My ol' trusty '99 Ford Ranger from college finally let out at 204k miles and I decided to 'upgrade' to a real truck for hauling wood and tractor/implements to hunting food plots.

I managed to find a 2003 Std. Output with a 47RE with only 40k miles on it.

Just bought it the first week of 2008. Truck is flawless and 100% stock. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time doing research in this forum, and have decided that until I have the $$$ to get a more solid tranny and the truck is out of power train warranty (70k miles) I don't want to do anything that will cause premature failure of $$$$ components (mainly tranny/pumps/turbo I'm concerned about).

Is Smarty Jr. safe for this setup? Anybody done it?
(obviously kept on the lower two of the three settings)

Am I correct in understanding that the Smarty Jr. does NOT do anything to effect PRESSURE -just timing and duration of injection? I don't want to get into serious lift/injection pump or turbo issues with wild pressure mods.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....I'm a newbie
(2-weeks in a Cummins so far)

100% stock getting following ACTUAL mileage:
mixed 2-lane hwy / city: 16.1mpg
solid 4-lane hwy @ 70mph: 17.7mpg
(three full tanks of fuel used so far)

Looking for advice on mild mods to break the 20mpg barrier unloaded.
I've narrowed it down to the Smarty Jr. or the Quadzilla Max Mileage Module.

Smarty Jr. sounds like more fun but a little more risk due to higher hp.
MMM sounds safe, but not much fun and questionable mileage gain.

Thanks fellas,

Billy
Old 01-13-2008, 09:46 PM

It boost fools and does timing and duraton. It does not affect the rail pressure at all. It is a good mod i think that you would like it. Better fuel mileage by atleast 2mpg for me anyways, thats running on the mileage tune. The power difference is noticeable at each level. even the 40hp level. leaves no footprint and also re-sets tire size and diagnosis codes and clears them. You cant go wrong, period. Oh yeah the customer service is also very good so keep that in mind when deciding between the two. Internet upgradeable. My tranny loves it!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by billy77bob

Looking for advice on mild mods to break the 20mpg barrier unloaded.
I've narrowed it down to the Smarty Jr. or the Quadzilla Max Mileage Module.

Smarty Jr. sounds like more fun but a little more risk due to higher hp.
MMM sounds safe, but not much fun and questionable mileage gain.

Thanks fellas,

Billy

Still, go with the Smarty Jr. and use the Smarty mileage tune until you're ready for more power. I run the regular Smarty on the mileage tune and am right at 20 mpg. If I ever want more power all I have to do is load up another tune plus I have all the other benefits of the Smarty that the Quadzilla Mileage Max won't do. The difference in price is about $300 but I feel the Smarty Jr is more flexible, has more features and is able to give you more power if you decide to expand in the future.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa
Still, go with the Smarty Jr. and use the Smarty mileage tune until you're ready for more power. I run the regular Smarty on the mileage tune and am right at 20 mpg. If I ever want more power all I have to do is load up another tune plus I have all the other benefits of the Smarty that the Quadzilla Mileage Max won't do. The difference in price is about $300 but I feel the Smarty Jr is more flexible, has more features and is able to give you more power if you decide to expand in the future.
i see u have stock injectors, and u run the aftermarket injectors/stock TM tune on SW1, why is that? does the aftermarket injectors tune give u better MPG???
Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 AM

Go with the regular smarty. For the price difference and options no contest. You sound like a cautious guy, remember you control your right foot, so the power is ultimately yours. Drive easy and smarty is fine. Just don't hammer it with a stock tranny. Forget about warranty at this point. Your rig is about out anyway and if you are thinking of more power ... what's the point! Although they claim the smarty to be undetectable, on the red headed step child of the third gens (03) it is. Yup it will leave the code AA and A7 in the instrument cluster check, which means the pcm has a problem with accepting the ecm change. Smarty can't clear these codes Still it is the best thing for these motors/model year. Great customer service with internet upgrades and will grow with you as you acquire the MORE POWER addiction.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CTDowerTN
i see u have stock injectors, and u run the aftermarket injectors/stock TM tune on SW1, why is that? does the aftermarket injectors tune give u better MPG???

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

In short, smoke control. I didn't care for the smoke levels on SW3 with stock injectors and mild TM. Using the aftermarket injectors reduces timing somewhat while the stock TM gives fueling closer to stock. Having larger injectors increases the effective timing because you can get a bigger slug of fuel in the cylinder in a shorter period of time. To offset this Bob and Marco have a tune that reduces the timing somewhat to compensate for this.

So with me running SW1 I still have advanced timing from the mileage tune but my timing isn't as advanced as normal, giving less smoke. Across the board if I ran the odd numbered programs my timing will be more advanced than stock but not as advanced as the stock injectors program. Some folks have used this tune if their trucks had timing rattle. Mine didn't have it with the stock injectors program. Of course with less timing I do have slightly higher EGT's than the stock injectors program, but my EGT's are still less than they were with the stock truck!

Stock TM is really not smokeless and is really not anything like the stock TM that came with the truck. It does give more fueling than stock down low, just not as much as mild TM.

Previously with mild tm and stock injectors program I could black out an intersection and any time I touched the throttle smoke would fly. I had to drive like there was an egg under the pedal and the truck was just less fun! I really wasn't bothered by the smoke but didnt want the truck to get any bad attention from the cops or anyone else who may damage it because I smoked them.

With aftermarket injectors and stock tm I can still dim out an intersection if I want, but the pedal is a lot less sensitive. I got my fun back and don't have to constantly watch the side view mirrors to see if I'm blowing black.

If anything I get less mileage due to the aftermarket injectors program as the timing isn't as advanced as stock injectors timing. Even so running this program improved my mileage from about 18 to 20 mpg all hand calculated.

Because of this flexibility I'm very satisfied with the Smarty.