3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty EGT's WOW and other smarty questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam i would take the Quad off or your engine is going to pop, and you will be saying should i take the Quad and Smarty off before i head to the dealer.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ah64id
Exactly, #2 is stock timing.. Stock EGT's get up to 1400*+ pretty easily. So now your adding more fuel to that.. Go with Revo or odd software numbers. Your EGT's will drop like a rock.
I ditched quad this morning and loaded #5, I lost power VS quad on 30 and #2, but I could not get my EGT's over 1300. The throttle was much less touchy.

The smarty display screen says 4.11 B. D. 3.11 A

So should I send off my quad and have the timeing turned off or do I need other upgrades before thinking about that?

Do you just use a printer USB cable to load updates?
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM

i have a BDTD tuner stacked w/ a Diablo power puck,...i too can hit excessive temps(1500*). my question is this.
will it damage the engine to reach these temps for a very short period of time(5-10 seconds)? or we really concerned with running "minutes" at these high temps? thanks for the education
Old 12-23-2008, 11:20 AM

IMO, high temps for a short period are no problems, its when you heat soak at 1400+ for 2 minutes climbing a mountain. The Common Rail trucks are different than any past cummins, stock my truck hit 1400 so I don't think its much to worry about for a few seconds. All you need is a printer cord and go on the mads electronics website and go to downloads and download the loader and read the instructions. Your smarty it not the POD so what you need is the Revo non-TNT.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Turner2
I ditched quad this morning and loaded #5, I lost power VS quad on 30 and #2, but I could not get my EGT's over 1300. The throttle was much less touchy.

So should I send off my quad and have the timeing turned off or do I need other upgrades before thinking about that?

IIRC, you have stock turbo, aftermarket injectors, Moderate TQ.

Load up the new REVO SW and dial in your settings. Much more user friendly and easier to fine tune.

As for the Quad...sell it and either buy a Quad X2, or buy a MP-8. I like the MP-8 for its adjustability but my Quad was a great stack as well.

For updating SMARTY, go to MADS site download the USB driver and 7z program, load the USB driver, unzip the file and load to your SMARTY. Yes a printer USB cable will work fine.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Turner2

There are a couple options, but I would use the Smarty timing, its the best out there, IMHO. If you want a pressure box get a MP-8. You can also upgrade to Smarty Revo and have more options.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jgiachino
What Smarty Version? I have stock turbo/sticks and with beta 4.4 i can hit 1500 at about 90+mph....as i have an arson 2 and htt 62/65/13ss on order...you hitting 1500* easy on level 5 is a bit disconcerning....

Think it's the stix? Which 62ss do you have?

Every version has been high egt's even before stixs and turbo. Turbo helps a little but not much.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by CoolumConst
Every version has been high egt's even before stixs and turbo. Turbo helps a little but not much.
That's odd, i never see 1500* except for TnTr and original Beta 4.4 and then only when i really push it....all other versions i cant really get over 1450* on level 9....i ran the 1/4 mile on Revo Level 9 and was at about 1450* at 96mph...
Old 12-23-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
If it said 4.11 it will be the Wild torque management. 2.11 is mild, 3.11 is moderate. Stacking will make things toasty. But with my setup I still can't get past 1350*, maybe you're either running out of fuel causing the high egts or you need more turbo now.
This is correct, I still have all these tunes for my S-04 on my pc. 411 wild, 311 moderate, 211 mild. My Smarty did not have the options or software upgrades to change tm settings at this point in development.

Originally Posted by omaharam
That is not correct. The old 4.11 tunes could be loaded with different levels of torque management - they were still all 4.11 software.
Do you have an S-06? Remember(if you do) you guys always received the new tunes and options first. Us S-04 guys always have a waiting period...

Sam Turner2, What is the serial # on your Smarty? There is, or should be a white tag on the side of the unit. That will tell you what unit you have, S-04/S-06.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by JJPage
Sam Turner2, What is the serial # on your Smarty? There is, or should be a white tag on the side of the unit. That will tell you what unit you have, S-04/S-06.
S-06, 4.11 B D 3.11 A is what the load screen says.

so guys is the concensus that I should update to revo? Does that make it where its like Edge juice attitude where I can dial in levels?

My quad is in the glove box its been good to me, How would it compare to a MP8 if I have it setup pressure only? Or can my truck even take it without a turbo? The quad is worth nearly nothing so i hate to just throw it in the closet.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Update your Smarty to the Revo tune and send the Quad off to be upgraded to an X2. It will come back with a rail pressure guage, Boost, and engine temp if you upgrade the harness. I costed me a little over 100 bucks to do it and well worth it. You can't buy a rail pressure gauge for that. Then load the pressure only tune with boost fooling. I like mine....

You have to send it back to Bob to be upgraded to the POD version and spend a little money to get the on the fly adjustability.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Update your Smarty to the Revo tune and send the Quad off to be upgraded to an X2. It will come back with a rail pressure guage, Boost, and engine temp if you upgrade the harness. I costed me a little over 100 bucks to do it and well worth it. You can't buy a rail pressure gauge for that. Then load the pressure only tune with boost fooling. I like mine....

You have to send it back to Bob to be upgraded to the POD version and spend a little money to get the on the fly adjustability.
Thanks for the advice, I will update to revo for now and after christmas send off for X2, I'm getting maried saturday, so I don't have much time right now....
Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 PM

You don't need to stack boxes with the smarty especially with the revo functins where you can adjust rail pressure, timing and TQ mang. I've busted the hard high pressure injectors lines running my Dr. P box. I've finally dialed my smarty in after trying lots of different configurations and it's truly perfect without any box interfereance.