3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty and boost fooling... how much boost for stock turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty and boost fooling... how much boost for stock turbo?

Sorry guys I know this has been gone over a bunch of times, but after reading one the Smarty website, I am confused. I understand that if I run the sw for aftermarket turbo, it will disable my waste gate and alow more boost without defueling. I have read a number of times that you just run that and don't need a boost fooler. The smarty website says you shouldn't do that with a stock turbo though... How much more boost will I get if I run it that way? Also, what limits the amount of boost, the amount of fuel being dumped in? If I run the sw for stock turbo/injectors with the waste gate activated is that going to make alot less power than with the boost fooling? Is there a possibility of overboosting and damaging the turbo? I just want to make the most power possible with the smarty but without melting my turbo or engine down.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First of all, where are your gauges?? You can watch those to determine your safe range. Second, you can limit the overall boost by choosing the smarty level correctly. Yes, more fuel = more pressure = faster turbo spool = more boost. Opinions vary, but I would not try to go over 40 psi on your stocker. Set your smarty level to where your egts and total boost are at safe levels. If that means sw 5 gives you 40 psi and 1300* on egt, then leave it there until you can improve your air flow, get a better turbo.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the reply, I've got gauges, just not listed in my sig. Is there any consensus on egt pre turbo that is safe? I've read everything from 1300 to 1500 if just for a few seconds... Dunno how safe that sounds. So I should run the sw with boost fooling and just play with different levels untill I reach the max safe boost/egt then? What kind of boost will it be limited to with the stock turbo/injectors sw?

Thanks for the help!

Jason
Old 11-06-2007, 02:08 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Opinions vary due to different experiences everyone has to their own truck. For instance, the 04.5 up can handle "slightly" higher temps than 03-04 due to differences in the engine design. However, those egts are simply a reference point and only indicative of the true cylinder temps which is what we really worry about. I've heard of people telling of 1600*+ egts on the strip the entire 1/4 mile and seem to have had no ill effects and I've seen melted pistons at 1400* sustained for short periods. So lots of opinions no real easy answers. I personally get nervous anything over 1350* for any length of time. Being on the safe side is a lot cheaper than replacing melted pistons. So as far as humble advice and opinions go, yeah, I would probably go the boost fooling program route and find the highest sw I can do safely and stick with it.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:14 PM

I think I'll take your word for it and try to stay below 1350. Melted pistons would be a BIG problem!

Thanks for the info!
Jason
Old 11-06-2007, 04:24 PM

A stock truck can hit 1350-1400. I dont understand why people say that anything over 1200-1250 is scary... If I turn off the smarty I can hit 1400 with only 2000 lbs behind. With my smarty on sw3 it actually runs a little cooler. From my experiance on my 05 the pressure boxes Edge ez and the 100 hp Dr.P box made my egt's skyrocket, but with the tripple dog they were more reasonable...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:49 PM
DWK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm only seeong 1275 or so on my EGTs with no Smarty but with straight pipe and Cold air intake,
Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by BBarnett
A stock truck can hit 1350-1400. ...
absolutely correct
Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 04.5 could hit 1350-1450 completely stock at 33psi boost empty with WOT. Over the years I have tried many boxes and downloaders and stacks. With upgraded intake, exhaust, turbo and boxes/downloaders I have run stacks that hit 1500* on the street pretty easy and when pushed up to 1700* on the track for a second or two.

I do recommend staying on the safe side of 1450* unless you have supporting mods and money in the bank or like me you just can't help it.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:10 PM

so 1500 is ok for a short burst, like through a couple gears. I don't think I would be comfortable at 1700... I don't have that kind of money in the bank!

Thanks all for the imput.

Jason
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 PM

I put my buddys smarty with the aftermarket turbo setting on with Mild Touque on #3 and my boost went well over 40psi on the first crack of the throttle. I didn't think it would but it did easily and I got a little scared and babied it after that. My stock truck unloaded with BHAF and straight pipe won't hit 1200F at wide open throttle, not even close. Pyro mounted pre turbo too. So i recommend using the stock injectors and stock turbo settings just to be on the safe side and your egt's won't sky rocket either. Its win win really.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned

fyi: with the wastegate disabled my stock turbo has seen 60psi. i dont recomend it.
1. hot air
2. high egt
3. drive presure
4. no studs

then again. im out of warrenty, and am willing to admit fault. i know i got to pay to play.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most guys that have melt down problems at lower temps had excessive timing. Stock timing and 1400 is not a problem for a minute or two. 1500 with stock timing is fine for ten seconds. 1400 towing up a pass with lots of timing is a no no. Increased timing equates to increased heat exposure to the piston crown for a given egt. In layman's terms, 1400 at stock timing = less heat exposure to piston than 1400* at advanced timing.

Total heat absorbed is what melts the piston. 2000* for one second will heat the surface of the piston less than 1500* for 5 seconds.

Like I previously stated, increased timing increases the time of combustion heat exposure to the piston crown. Timing in a sense tricks the egt gauge because the fire burns longer in the cylinder and thus reads lower in the manifold cause it is no longer burning, just expanding and cooling.

All that said, increased timing nets better mileage, and is a lot more fun when hot rodding.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:17 AM

I'm guessing the EGTs you guys were talking about were on the SWs with timing correct? I'm not stacking it with any other boxes so the SWs with timing were what I was planning to run. What kind of boost will the sw for the stock turbo with waste gate working put out?

Jason
Old 11-08-2007, 01:03 PM

i can hit 1400* pretty easily on a full throttle run with mine on #5 with the stock turbo/injectors program..i am leary with anything over that...with that said, am i reading correctly that going with the aftermarket turbo/stock injectors program would be ok on my truck? i mostly run around town and i am verrrry easy on the truck bc my tranny is stock..sooo, will running the aftermarket turbo/stock injector program help my easy driving around town low end power and milage? if it does and its safe with a very mild foot and no hot rodding i would like to give it a shot. should i?? or should i try aftermarket turbo/aftermarket injectors to give me more timing?

Quick Reply: Smarty and boost fooling... how much boost for stock turbo?