3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Beta 1/4 Mile Times w/Data Logging

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Beta 1/4 Mile Times w/Data Logging

Went to the track yesterday with a copy of Beta 4.2 and 4.4. I was able to data log 3 of the runs using my laptop and the really cool Autoenginuity scantool system that 53Willys recently turned me on to.

Best run was 13.86 @ 96.44 with a 1.873 60' and .023 RT using version 4.4. I thought 4.2 was supposed to be hotter than 4.4, but it didn't seem to be any faster at the track. I took one pass with the 4.2 version and ran a 13.98 @ 95.96.

Here's some screenshots of the 3 data logged runs...

I was mainly concerned with losing rail pressure and it seems to look fine. It wasn't as high as I had expected with the Beta versions. The highest it got was about 23,800psi which I thought is pretty close to stock? What max pressurres are you guys seeing while stacking a pressure box with the Smarty?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 AM

Love the Data Logging....hook me up!!!!Pleasssseeee. I can do this when I have the stand alone hooked up but this is schweet..Thanks,Kerry
Old 06-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Banned

The scan tool and software are from Autoenginuity.com. They also offer a Chrysler enhanced version which Mark is getting that allows you to see/do more. It comes with a Speedtracer program too that does 1/4 mile, 0-60, and dyno runs (along with a bunch of other stuff). I went to try it out but you wouldn't believe the amount of vehicle-specific info you have to enter first. I'll have to get a list...it's pretty impressive and I'm sure the results would be fairly accurate if it needs all this info to do the calculations.

On a side note, anyone know why my rail pressure would be so high at idle? I've heard it should be around 5k at idle. Mine was reading 9k.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:15 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great job this is very helpful to me. I have been wanting to try differant versions, and I still may, but if the 4.4 is currently the most economical, the most pleasant to drive, and the fastest, maybe I dont need to try any other software.

On edit, that is the version 4.4, mine will get close to 10k, I think that is what helps keep the power so linear and makes it so pleasan to drive.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Looks like you need to reset your TPS....WOT should be 100 on TPS and it is amazing what 1% can do....You need a little more lift pump for the launch....The CP3 is pulling about 4 psi and at launch you are dropping to below 10 ....This is costing you about some rail pressure but as you said it appears good. If you had lots of low pressure fuel on Launch you might have made more high pressure...Good Numbers all around. With the Beta 4.2 you launchee with alot less TPS so I assume less boost. ks
Old 06-09-2007, 10:18 AM
wap

I assume both versions were ran on #9?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wap
Great job this is very helpful to me. I have been wanting to try differant versions, and I still may, but if the 4.4 is currently the most economical, the most pleasant to drive, and the fastest, maybe I dont need to try any other software.

On edit, that is the version 4.4, mine will get close to 10k, I think that is what helps keep the power so linear and makes it so pleasan to drive.
Glad it's helpful to others as well. I feel the same way about 4.4. I've dyno'd it against 4.3 and current Wild, raced it against 4.2, and it performs just as good or better while having more linear throttle and fixing the 2-3 shift issue on my truck.

Originally Posted by abc4yew
Looks like you need to reset your TPS....WOT should be 100 on TPS and it is amazing what 1% can do....You need a little more lift pump for the launch....The CP3 is pulling about 4 psi and at launch you are dropping to below 10 ....This is costing you about some rail pressure but as you said it appears good. If you had lots of low pressure fuel on Launch you might have made more high pressure...Good Numbers all around. With the Beta 4.2 you launchee with alot less TPS so I assume less boost. ks
I wasn't sure if something was off with the TPS or if it was the scan tool program. There were some weird readings for "Calculated Load" too...so that doesn't help the confidence level too much. I'll go ahead and try the TPS reset and if the numbers go up to 100 then I guess that says something for the program.

Regarding the lift pump pressures, initially I thought that "Fuel Level Input" must be referring to the lift pump pressure because I had over a 1/2 tank at the time and it was reading "20 - 25". That's exactly what my fuel pressure normally runs so it made sense (I figured there was some sensor inside the CP3 or something that gave the reading). When I got home and started reviewing the data I noticed the "Fuel Level Input" fields were reported in "%" instead of "PSI". That got me thinking it must be fuel tank volume, but since I had over 1/2 tank 20% - 25% wouldn't make sense.

You're correct about the launch with 4.2. It was only around 12psi when I normally launch around 16. The launch on the 2nd run (with 4.4) where I went 13.86 was around 19psi by mistake. There were a couple more runs I didn't log and one was another 13.86 with only a 16psi launch (with 4.4). I think they performed about the same. Launching 4.2 at 16-19psi would probably have put it right around the same 13.86.

Originally Posted by wap
I assume both versions were ran on #9?
Yepper!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:27 PM

On a side note, anyone know why my rail pressure would be so high at idle? I've heard it should be around 5k at idle. Mine was reading 9k.

The new smarty idles at almost 9K.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
With a modded pump I see around 8K at idle, but with the smarty beta versions I see beteen 9-10K. As stated I guess thats where it gets the low end. I read the RP from the outlook and the Dipricol, they are the same so I know the #'s are correct.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned

Man, Now I gotta go buy a scanner tool and a laptop!!! This place is killing me!!

Awesome info!!
Old 06-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Man, Now I gotta go buy a scanner tool and a laptop!!! This place is killing me!!

Awesome info!!
You can blame and/or thank Mark for that one!
Old 06-09-2007, 02:40 PM

I ran my beta smarty today with normal 20'' wheel street tires. Mines a 2wd, so I had to leave with 0 boost to keep from spinning too bad. The best was a 12.55 at 112.79 mph on the 90hp setting. It did a 12.64 at 112 on the 60hp setting.. If I turn it up from there, EGT's go up, and the truck slows down.. Need more air to run the 9 program. I didn't try 7. I installed the dual pumps, and it only picked up a little over 1 mph over the single stock pump. I guess it needs more mods to take advantage of them.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
You can blame and/or thank Mark for that one!

Yeah he's gotten me into a lot of trouble!!! J/K....
Old 06-09-2007, 11:12 PM

I am glad your digging the scan tool. I love mine..I just got my Chrysler adapter yesterday..I am stoked to try it in the am

yes that data logging is AWESOME!!!!!
the dyno was pretty acurate on my Mazda3..but since my laptop took a dump I have not hooked it up to the truck I will have to try it and let you know how it goes.....

BTW most the Dyno info you need can be found on the DODGE truck website?? at least that is where I got all the info on the Mazda(Mazda's site)

it's cool to be able to look back and see what is going on!!!!!

Shane you are just as bad of an influence as anybody
Old 06-10-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is Marco is jacking up the rail pressure at low rpms to help get the turbo to spoolup quicker. All I know is that I can spin the tires in 2nd gear now, and that's with a 0psi launch!

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Smarty Beta 1/4 Mile Times w/Data Logging