3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty and Bad Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 PM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 973604x4
Smarty beta adds pressure......too much pressure can kill injectors.

I watched a guy dyno this weekend with a Quad Race stacked with the beta Smarty....i asked him to watch his rail gauge on his commander and let me know what it said....it said 27,800psi at WOT. OUCH
Tell me more about this, do you know what settings?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tcr
Tell me more about this, do you know what settings?
Well it was previously posted that Smarty beta does 25k at WOT....and the Quad XZT added about 2000psi to my rail over my Bullydog....so 25+2...you are already at 27k.....and thats with a XZT not a Quad Race.

As for the exact truck, I don't know what settings he was on. He told me Smarty Beta and Quad Race and I about flipped. I asked him if he had a rail gauge and he wasn't even sure...he has a commander and quad box so i informed him he had a rail gauge. I asked him to watch it and let me know....27800psi!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
smarty beta does not exceed stock levels
Old 08-08-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jtrimmell
My pressure jumped up to 35,700psi sunday afternoon, the top of the injector was cracked and spraying fuel everywhere.
That pressure is unlikely, and in any case - the RP sensor won't read any higher than ~27.5Kpsi

Originally Posted by Sapps
Beta 4.4 Pressures Idle 9.5-10K Anytime the throtle was depressed it was in the 20K's and WOT 25K or so

Deer, Spearco dropped temps 100, install was a pita because they didnt send the right hardware. I STILL HAVE CRAZY EGTS!!!! when my truck is in overdrive. The smarty runs to hot grossing 30K
What are crazy EGTs? The HPCR piston metallurgy tolerates significantly higher temps...

Originally Posted by 973604x4
Well it was previously posted that Smarty beta does 25k at WOT....and the Quad XZT added about 2000psi to my rail over my Bullydog....so 25+2...you are already at 27k.....and thats with a XZT not a Quad Race.

As for the exact truck, I don't know what settings he was on. He told me Smarty Beta and Quad Race and I about flipped. I asked him if he had a rail gauge and he wasn't even sure...he has a commander and quad box so i informed him he had a rail gauge. I asked him to watch it and let me know....27800psi!
At the dyno I ran the Quad Race on top of last April's Smarty SW, and RP as usual "pegged" at 27.5psi on the DiPricol... graphically speaking - the DLs and pressure boxes tend to increase the slope of the rail pressure curve over RPM on the fuel map topography. Due to the RP sensor's limitations, who knows what absolute maximums are generated at the injector tip, but it does make the Flux injectors a bit more desirable! (Don, IIRC, tests/certifies them to ~35K psi )

Anyway, IMO the best benefit of the RP gauges is the real-time dynamic pressure monitoring of the fuel map they provide - makes for a great peephole into the combustion chamber!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XLR8R
At the dyno I ran the Quad Race on top of last April's Smarty SW, and RP as usual "pegged" at 27.5psi on the DiPricol... graphically speaking - the DLs and pressure boxes tend to increase the slope of the rail pressure curve over RPM on the fuel map topography. Due to the RP sensor's limitations, who knows what absolute maximums are generated at the injector tip, but it does make the Flux injectors a bit more desirable! (Don, IIRC, tests/certifies them to ~35K psi )

Anyway, IMO the best benefit of the RP gauges is the real-time dynamic pressure monitoring of the fuel map they provide - makes for a great peephole into the combustion chamber!
I agree about the rail gauge. I think its a must have on a CR engine. You are very correct about the slope of rail pressure.....lots of people don't understand that. A while back, everyone said Crazy Larry was lots of pressure. It's a steeper slope of pressure but not any added pressure on the top end....I'm sure the same goes for the Smarty beta except we know from ramtd01 that smarty beta has 1000 more psi at WOT.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:53 AM

I see 25k max rp on beta 4.4 level 5....9k at idle and 18-20k at cruise....
Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 AM

I dont get worried about high rail pressure,, (25 to 27k) it is how it gets there that worries me.... there has to be a ramping up to that pressure,, if it hits too hard,, especially down low that is where trouble brews. From what I understand the way that the smarty combats this is to run at a higher pressure during idle which then allows the engine some breathing room.

As for egt's, as xl8r said, dont get too paniced about temps, unless you are consistantly going over 1350 - 1400.

Kevin
Old 08-09-2007, 02:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abc4yew
............................ I don't think Idling has a negative effect on the injectors provided you have long periods of use to keep the injectors clean. An 80 year old guy I know delivers trailers all over north america and he has well over 450k miles on his 04 Dually and he never turns it off unless it is going to be off for more than 6 hours. The only parts he has replaced on the truck are 3 water pumps. He will idle it all night if he's sleeping in the bunk he fabbed in the back seat. I was at the shop when he was getting the water pump replaced....it ran for 2 hours before the water pump was replaced he turned it off for 15minutes while my buddy replaced the pump and then he turned it back on and idled it for another hour of chatting. Its a 4wd 48re. The tranny is bone stock and the only mod is an AFE PG7.

Wow! 450K miles and he hardly ever turns it off. I'd be curious to look at the hour meter on his truck. These engines are amazing feats of engineering.