3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty and Bad Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in the same boat. I put the Smarty on, and 3 weeks later had two injectors go. Who knows what caused what.....I too drive slow compared to most. There are a LOT of 05's and 06's starting to have injector failures just judging by reading here. Wether or not they all share some common thread remains to be seen. I'm sure the proponents of Smarty and others will deny any hand in it, as will Chrysler if you are out of warranty, or have fuel that is less than pristine in your tank/filter (dealer never even mentioned this to me - I was suprised they didnt at least check it).
Once i had the sticks replaced, I've run for a month now and havent had a recurrence....
Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Banned

Add me to the list.
I'm sure mine is just coincidence though. I've been running the Dec 21st Smarty software since then without issue. Haven't done an update since I'm really happy with the trucks performance on that software.
I think I just fall into the "it was time for an injector or two to go" list.
It started this past Saturday with white puff and stumble at cold start up.
It's at the dealer today and should get the news tomorrow on what and how many are shot.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 AM

My pressure jumped up to 35,700psi sunday afternoon, the top of the injector was cracked and spraying fuel everywhere. I was able to get it in yesterday and they replaced two injectors under warranty but tried to screw me over and charge me $725 for two injectors, labor, and cleaning the engine compartment. Im not sure what caused it im just running the beta version of crazy larry and an edge ez. Thats the first problem i have had so far. If i bought a set of aftermarket injectors like 100HP would i have to do any more modifications. I sold my afe intake so i need to purchase another intake but is there anything else i would need to do?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Banned

What does injector rattle sound like??? My oil level hasn't changed but I can hear a distinct rattle?? Not sure if it's an injector though??
Old 08-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Banned

The moment i start my truck with a Smarty on it, I can hear the rattle. it doesn't sound BAD to me but its definitely distinct.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 973604x4
The moment i start my truck with a Smarty on it, I can hear the rattle. it doesn't sound BAD to me but its definitely distinct.
X2!!!!!! So is this something the smarty does or injectors???
Old 08-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
something the Smarty does to the injectors. No other programmer sounds like that on my truck.

The diablo idles like crap on my truck, but doesn't have that kind of an injector noise.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 AM

Beta 4.4 Pressures Idle 9.5-10K Anytime the throtle was depressed it was in the 20K's and WOT 25K or so

Deer, Spearco dropped temps 100, install was a pita because they didnt send the right hardware. But it did help a bit. These trucks are not like our 7.3's, I have the AFE ST2 intake, Boostfooler, Full 5" exhaust no cat, IC, Turbo....... I STILL HAVE CRAZY EGTS!!!! when my truck is in overdrive. Our 7.3's would be running about 700. Its frustrating!! Im trying different programming as as it gets here. The smarty runs to hot grossing 30K
Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Big T
Anybody else have bad injectors, the only performance mod is the smarty, about 2 months ago I lost an injector now it seems another is going, oil is a little high and got a rattle sounds like an injector. Due you think it could be just the injectors or d0 you thjink it is due to the smarty. I do not run hard at all, never even had the truck over 80 MPH I start out like grandpa and use it mainly to improve mileage and a little more power for towing. I would hate to ditch the smarty but cant expect dodge to keep fixing the problem. Truck only has 14000 miles on it. The only other thing I did but this was right after the last injector was change the fuel filter to the Baldwin 2 micron.
I've had two injectors go out without any modifications. You could have problems because you do drive like a grandpa. These truck were made to work. Do you tow with it or is a just a daily driver? I highly doubt the Smarty had anything to do with your problem.

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Are you guys talking about timing rattle?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I had an injector issue at 15000 miles. At the time I was running Bullydog with no presure ever. These injectors are a pain even on stock trucks, even with good filtration. I dont think downloaders are killing injectors, although they may reduce the life a little. But hey Ive been running the Beta 4.2 Smarty software with added pressure since April and no problems. I think these injectors are just a weak, very picky item on these trucks.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:43 AM

You can't measure over 27,800psi so 35k+psi was just a glitch. I've always been told it is pressure surges not pressure that kills injectors. The Beta Smarty does have more pressure at a given rpm but it is still within stock parameters. The first thing I did before I even installed the engine in my truck was put F1 Flux 1.5's in it. These injectors have proven themselves to be a little more tolerant to pressure than the unmodded stock injector. Any adjustment to fueling above stock might contribute to injector failure. The more fuel you use the more likely you are to have injector failure. I don't think Idling has a negative effect on the injectors provided you have long periods of use to keep the injectors clean. An 80 year old guy I know delivers trailers all over north america and he has well over 450k miles on his 04 Dually and he never turns it off unless it is going to be off for more than 6 hours. The only parts he has replaced on the truck are 3 water pumps. He will idle it all night if he's sleeping in the bunk he fabbed in the back seat. I was at the shop when he was getting the water pump replaced....it ran for 2 hours before the water pump was replaced he turned it off for 15minutes while my buddy replaced the pump and then he turned it back on and idled it for another hour of chatting. Its a 4wd 48re. The tranny is bone stock and the only mod is an AFE PG7.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
Are you guys talking about timing rattle?
No. Its just a smarty noise. hard to describe.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
No. Its just a smarty noise. hard to describe.
I have to agree about the noise. My neighbor mentioned it to me not knowing I'd downloaded sw#1. I'm back at stock now until Marco's new update comes out. My buddy's '05 makes a lot of racket after it rearches operating temp with his Edge Juice. Idling though,it sounds stock.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:30 PM

Dodge told me they wouldnt honor the warranty on anymore injectors since they knew i was running a programmer. I dont have to much rattle unless i run it pretty hard for awhile when its really warm outside. If i just drive normal its not to bad. So what would be the best injectors to buy? I ordered another AFE intake and i am buying a 5" rapid flow friday and hopefully ill be able to get it put on saturday. Any suggestions??
Old 08-08-2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sapps
Beta 4.4 Pressures Idle 9.5-10K Anytime the throtle was depressed it was in the 20K's and WOT 25K or so

Deer, Spearco dropped temps 100, install was a pita because they didnt send the right hardware. But it did help a bit. These trucks are not like our 7.3's, I have the AFE ST2 intake, Boostfooler, Full 5" exhaust no cat, IC, Turbo....... I STILL HAVE CRAZY EGTS!!!! when my truck is in overdrive. Our 7.3's would be running about 700. Its frustrating!! Im trying different programming as as it gets here. The smarty runs to hot grossing 30K
Thanks I know what your talking about I been pulling some loads with it and it's gets hot fast. I'm really thinking about twins I don't know what else to do My 97 psd before it had a ic and it had ab in it did not get as hot as this thing does.

Quick Reply: Smarty and Bad Injectors