3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty and Bad Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty and Bad Injectors

Anybody else have bad injectors, the only performance mod is the smarty, about 2 months ago I lost an injector now it seems another is going, oil is a little high and got a rattle sounds like an injector. Due you think it could be just the injectors or d0 you thjink it is due to the smarty. I do not run hard at all, never even had the truck over 80 MPH I start out like grandpa and use it mainly to improve mileage and a little more power for towing. I would hate to ditch the smarty but cant expect dodge to keep fixing the problem. Truck only has 14000 miles on it. The only other thing I did but this was right after the last injector was change the fuel filter to the Baldwin 2 micron.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Banned

I have been running a Smarty for 1 year or so. I have even added pressure and I have nothing but good luck. I think you need a small micron filter to catch debre in the fuel.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:40 PM

Just lost 3 @ 47K miles, filled the crankcase full of fuel. Smarty since 15K, Smarty Beta 4.4 for the last 20K+miles......Not sure what caused it......?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:44 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sloverado
I have been running a Smarty for 1 year or so. I have even added pressure and I have nothing but good luck. I think you need a small micron filter to catch debre in the fuel.
Hard to get any smaller than the 2 micron...

Sorry to hear about your injectors. I sincerely doubt it is the smarty, especially from the way you describe your driving. It is the aftermarket stuff that adds pressure-- like a MP-8 for instance-- that are hard on injectors. Smarty adds no pressure except for the beta versions and even then it is supposed to be not much more pressure. I would really look elsewhere like bad fuel first...

Hopefully some of the injector experts will chime in shortly.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

I doubt it's the smarty too. It could be from running bad fuel. The needle in the injector isn't much bigger than a pin so, it's really important to filter it good.
I run a Fleetguard 2 micron and the 7 micron OEM filter just to stay safe.

The smarty adds timing which will make your injectors rattle more than usual. Could that be what you're hearing this time?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:49 PM

have you tried removing the smarty or running an even numbered setting on the smarty to see if the rattle goes away?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Maybe you just got a bad lot of injectors from the factory..? I surely hope it's not the smarty, i would hate to drive my truck without it. LOL
Old 08-07-2007, 04:48 PM

Rattle is still there it is back to stock, I get fuel at the same station (shell)every time except when we go to the dunes to go ridding quads. I hope it is just bad set of injectors. Hope the Baldwin 2 micron is a good filter first time I used this one.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR TRUCK ANY MORE! I had the rattle, removed the smarty and the rattle is still there, and a day later the oil filled with fuel and it died! Go get that bad injector out!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sapps
Just lost 3 @ 47K miles, filled the crankcase full of fuel. Smarty since 15K, Smarty Beta 4.4 for the last 20K+miles......Not sure what caused it......?
Smarty beta adds pressure......too much pressure can kill injectors.

I watched a guy dyno this weekend with a Quad Race stacked with the beta Smarty....i asked him to watch his rail gauge on his commander and let me know what it said....it said 27,800psi at WOT. OUCH
Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 PM

I read a post a while back that stated that if you let your truck idle too much it can cause injector failure due to buildup or something. Its been a while since I read that one but he said that after the 3rd bad injector on a lightly modified diesel Dodge pulled the numbers from the "little black box" and discovered it was idling too much and not from hard driving. He had to fight to get it replaced.

Anybody else read that, maybe on CompD???
Old 08-07-2007, 09:34 PM

I read the same thing tristan, and I am quite certain it was on this board. posts like this are pushing me more and more to get better filtration in place...

<--- scared of replacing injectors
Old 08-07-2007, 09:38 PM

One of my first mods after the Smarty was the GDP 2 micron filter kit with water separator. So sub par filtration shouldn't be the case of my failure..
Old 08-07-2007, 09:45 PM

Sapps,

What has your rail pressure been at wot?

I have my RP gauge installed but have not driven the truck allot to find out how high the pressure gets on the beta program.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 PM

Sapps what do you think of that IC you have on your dodge did you see a diference ?

Quick Reply: Smarty and Bad Injectors