3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smarty advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smarty advice

i was wondering what would smarty would be better off in my truck (see sig) the SSR or the S 06 POD.. what do you guys run? i eventually want to do a bigger turbo some injectors and a bigger fuel pump and of course tranny but thats all when i get the $$$ .. pros and cons to either tuner.. i hopefully wanna order it in the next few days
thanks for the help
Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 AM

and another quick side question lol, whos running digital gauges (like edge cts bully dog pda that kinda thing) and how well do they work? know any good ones?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The SSR is a little more complicated to setup. The Smarty Jr and Sr is much simpler to use. For the future mod's you listed I would recommend the Sr. (S-06 POD). The SSR is for guys going for big power and can fine tune their setups.

MikeyB
Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I agree with what MikeyB is telling you on the Smarty Programmers.
On your question about the digital gauges, IMHO, I don't like ANY of them!
But they are on alot of the units now so there is not much you can do. I like analog gauges alot better and feel they respond much quicker than the digitals do.

--------
John_P
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 AM

i like analog gauges as well and would like to do 3 or 4 above my rear-view mirror, but that limits me to 3-4.. with one digital i can have all that i can possibly monitor in it and be able to scroll through or just set the ones i want to see at that time
Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 AM

i was looking at the quadzilla pulse V2 its in expensive small and seems to do alot.. any advice on it? anyone running it?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM

If it works for a 04, Quadzill Scout 11 is a digital monitor that is the only one that works with a smarty POD. 32 gauges vs. 3 or 4 in a smaller space, how is analog better?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
I like analog gauges alot better and feel they respond much quicker than the digitals do.

--------
John_P
And I have found them to be more accurate.

But, it's all a personal choice; I wouldn't begrudge a person either way.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you have a lot of time to spend dynoing then stay away from the SSR.It is a niche tuner for those owners who spend a lot of time tuning and want that added little extra you may get with it.

The Smarty S06(in either the POD version or regular version) would be a much better choice IMO.

As for gauges,I would also echo what the great John_P stated...
Digital are cool to look at but slow to respond analog is also my preferred choice.I would also like to add I would NEVER allow any Quadzilla product near my ride as their warranty department leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 PM

well i bit the bullet and ordered the smarty pod, should be here in a day or 2, im like a kid on x-mas waiting for it haha, im thinking im gunna run the 60 horse tune in it, my trucks almost all stock with about 96k on the clock, any advice?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by bibbo
well i bit the bullet and ordered the smarty pod, should be here in a day or 2, im like a kid on x-mas waiting for it haha, im thinking im gunna run the 60 horse tune in it, my trucks almost all stock with about 96k on the clock, any advice?
ValveBody or TransGo shift kit for sure. depending on your driving style this will get you by for a while tell you build tranny!!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by JRAPTOR04
ValveBody or TransGo shift kit for sure. depending on your driving style this will get you by for a while tell you build tranny!!
thanks!! ill look in to it once i set some $$ aside
Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM

gahhh smartys on back order!!!! ***!! that just ruined my day..
Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by bibbo
thanks!! ill look in to it once i set some $$ aside
IMHO, The sooner the better, because with a smarty what happens is under less throttle, your getting more hp. But the pressure in the tranny is not going up to clamp the clutches so they start slipping a little bit until you push the throttle further and build pressure. But even then the stock pressure isnt much. Valve body is fairly cheap and fairly easy to install and transgo is alot cheaper but is a little harder to do but not that bad, if you have basic mechanical skills.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do any of you think you or I could make a determination which is the best fuel savings in the 30 days that MADS have to offer in the money back guarantee for the Smarty Jr. (J-06 PoD)? I know MADS and Banks are two different company's but after being burned by Banks and spending this kind of money I'm trying to find out as much info as I can before spending more $$$$! I bought from banks the ram-air and super-scoop w/ my now past 2007.5 6.7L. I will never buy from them again.

Quick Reply: smarty advice