3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty adj on the fly!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty adj on the fly!

I know this has been discussed b4--- but---- is there any chance th smarty would ever be adj on the fly? or is that just the nature of any downloader, (having to plug in and change whatever program you want. Please do not tell me to get one anyway, because I never would - - - - unless adj on fly optional. Not trying to stir the pot, just hear so many positive, happy owners of Smarty, I would like one, but not at expense of losing the aforementioned option. Thanks guys.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:31 PM

Its the nature of the beast. When bullydog says they can adjust on the fly its a smoking mirror approach. You load the highest setting onto your truck, and the outlook monitor will make make truck defuel, if you want less power.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

or ya stack it with an adjustable pressure only box, and use that as your adjustment factor.......
Old 02-23-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldSmokey
Its the nature of the beast. When bullydog says they can adjust on the fly its a smoking mirror approach. You load the highest setting onto your truck, and the outlook monitor will make make truck defuel, if you want less power.
It's "Smoke and Mirrors". Just so you know.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nelrod
I know this has been discussed b4--- but---- is there any chance th smarty would ever be adj on the fly? or is that just the nature of any downloader, (having to plug in and change whatever program you want. Please do not tell me to get one anyway, because I never would - - - - unless adj on fly optional. Not trying to stir the pot, just hear so many positive, happy owners of Smarty, I would like one, but not at expense of losing the aforementioned option. Thanks guys.
The Smarty IS adjustable on the fly. You can be driving down the street and if you press the accelerator pedal down harder it goes faster!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a triple dog....the option to adjust on the fly just doesn't make up for how well the Smarty works.

Lower/Slower rising EGTs, better/smoother power, so many options for tunes...the list goes on and on...

Don't get me wrong...I loved my Triple Dog...if there was no Smarty...thats what I'd own.....hands down...
Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldSmokey
That is how the outlook works, but not a plain old tripledog. It's adjustable on the fly.

Andy
Old 02-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jrussell
The Smarty IS adjustable on the fly. You can be driving down the street and if you press the accelerator pedal down harder it goes faster!

Ding Ding Ding.. we have a thread winner.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:41 AM

Thanks for all the replies fellas. - - - - - -Nelson
Old 02-24-2008, 01:05 AM

x 3....smooth and simple at light throttle and a riot when you get on it....no need to change levels unless you want to try new software
Old 02-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah I for one have asked this question. I would be willing to pay big bucks for it, but the files are so large I dont know that its possible.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Banned

what files are so large you don't know its possible ? the smarty program I have loaded is only a 29 MB file, that is by no means a large file.... what are you trying to do, not sure of Rye >?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the answer to why the Smarty is not able to shift on the fly is the files are different and I thought they were large and that was the issue. But I will be the first to admit I am not very computer literate. I seem to remember this question being asked before and again something to do with the size and difference of the files made it very difficult to design a shift on the fly device for the smarty. But as I stated I would pay big bucks to have the ability to change Smarty programs on the fly, so someone please figure it out.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Banned

29MB is pretty hefty for a file going on a vehicle ECM. That could easily be 90+% of the total available space on the ECM. 10 years ago that file would have taken up about half of my computer's hard drive!

It's not just the file size that's a problem though. The truck cannot be driven while programming the ECM, so how would you switch programs with it running?

Modules can adjust on the fly because they're altering the signal between the sensors and the ECM. The only way to get a programmer to adjust on the fly is the Bullydog "smoke and mirrors" approach.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrussell
29MB is pretty hefty for a file going on a vehicle ECM. That could easily be 90+% of the total available space on the ECM. 10 years ago that file would have taken up about half of my computer's hard drive!

It's not just the file size that's a problem though. The truck cannot be driven while programming the ECM, so how would you switch programs with it running?

Modules can adjust on the fly because they're altering the signal between the sensors and the ECM. The only way to get a programmer to adjust on the fly is the Bullydog "smoke and mirrors" approach.
Exactly. Smarty is actually changing the ecm parameters. A controller is just taking the signal from a sensor and then changing it slightly before the ecm reads it. So when you push a button up or down on a controller, it's just changing voltage or wahtever so that the stock ecm responds a little differently to the signal received. Smarty is actually re-mapping the ecm with a new configuration of parameters.

Quick Reply: Smarty adj on the fly!