3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 973604x4
As mentioned earlier, on the #2 software.....going 105mph...let off and then the truck started pulling again on its own. I stomped the brake and it calmed down fine....but thats scary!
I've had that happen, but only with a pressure box cranked up. Not with the Smarty or TST turned up.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JCLeary
I've had that happen, but only with a pressure box cranked up. Not with the Smarty or TST turned up.
The only thing on my truck was the Smarty. Any idea how that could happen with a Smarty or a pressure box? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the Pressure Relief Valve on the common rail is taking a dump... usually only happens with pressure boxes.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Sounds like the Pressure Relief Valve on the common rail is taking a dump... usually only happens with pressure boxes.
how will i know when it takes its final dump?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:12 PM

You still have the PRV on the common rail, right? You didn't cap it?
Capping the rail can allow the engine to fuel for a least a second after lifting...

But on second thought it might just be the fueling slew rate - a small "delay" results when you lift from WOT so the rail pressure doesn't spike, turbo bark is minimized, etc. Anyway, aftermarket fueling boxes/downloaders seem to exacerbate the phenomena...
Old 10-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XLR8R
You still have the PRV on the common rail, right? You didn't cap it?
Capping the rail can allow the engine to fuel for a least a second after lifting...

But on second thought it might just be the fueling slew rate - a small "delay" results when you lift from WOT so the rail pressure doesn't spike, turbo bark is minimized, etc. Anyway, aftermarket fueling boxes/downloaders seem to exacerbate the phenomena...
so do i need to worry about the pressure relief valve?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:19 AM

If you didn't remove the PRV and cap the rail, and the truck has plenty of power, then the PRV can't be bad.

But you shouldn't get a surge like that when you're not on the throttle.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:57 AM

Got my SMARTY on Friday, I waited till I got home to install just incase there was some sort of problem since I have a Banks 6 gun tapped into the wiring under the hood. Installed level 3 that afternoon before taking the lady out bowling and dinner. Ran good, ran real good. Smooth power that I have been looking for with the Banks that I never got (always had dead spots). SO I wake up Saturday morning, and said, what the hay, I installed level 9, and I drove around till water temp was up to operating temps. Then I proceed to find out what I have. Stop in a parking lot, and hammer it, HOOWLLLL goes the tires.... Felt some slippage though. Remember I have a stock tranny. So then I get out on the road to see how the driving manners are, and it appears to be pretty good, I play with the Banks some while on level 9 and it appears level three on Banks plays the nicest with SMARTY. Great seat of the pants feel, and no timing rattle. Cold startup this morning while on level 9 showed very little rattle, no where near as bad as my old second gen. I am very pleased with what I have, and I will be taking things back to level three after work today just to make sure i don't kill my tranny playing with others.

SMARTY changes a lot by way of timing and also throttle position sensitivity.
It will not kill your transmission as long as you use comon sense. If you set it to level 9 and always do full throttle launches, then your transmission is going to hate you, and probably make you pay for it. If you do boosted launches, expect the same.

If you roll into the fuel, and not just hammer it, things are great. I mean thing flat out flies....

AOn another note, I got to play with a Mustang Cobra....Note to self, while mustang is within his torque range for his slected gear, do not tempt him, those things are pretty bad ****. he pulled two lengths on me, before I stopped the slaughter, I held him right there, but no gaining, he never went to shift though, so it would have been interesting to see what would have happened to see him shift...That was only about 20 mins from install that morning so I was still figuring things out...
Old 10-09-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the 06' Smarty be undetectable by the dealer like the current one is? And has anyone taken in an 03-05 truck to the dealer who had been running a Smarty and had any issues with them about coverage?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Big Bob
Thanks Bob! I just downloaded the 3e_306_502.zip that Bob sent me for the Smarty and initial test drive is no more timing rattle! Even with the TST set on auto timing and the Smarty set on 9, even though with the 555 engine 9 doesn't do much more that 7. It also seem to react better with the TST! Seem much stronger now and very driveable! I'm going to Boise tomorrow and will get a better feel for it.

Way to go Marco!!
Marco, will this software be made public? Bob tried to e-mail it to me, but the file is too big for my e-mail service to accept. Thanks
Old 10-09-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big P
Marco, will this software be made public? Bob tried to e-mail it to me, but the file is too big for my e-mail service to accept. Thanks
Big P

I sent you a PM take a look at it.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

loaded up level 9 with stock torque management...some tranny hunt.

Loaded up 7 and no problems to speak of. I may be a happy Smarty customer yet

Wednesday i'll stack it with a TS MP8 and we'll see how that does.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:31 PM

Have you tried the juice w/ the smarty or is that a bad idea?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tristan21
Have you tried the juice w/ the smarty or is that a bad idea?
I would have tried it if i didn't sell my Hot Juice tonight.....but i had to sell it to feed my addiction to these trucks....(leveling kit, tires, 6" stack, etc )
Old 10-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Banned

Which of the Smarty programs has the least TQ managment? In a nut shell, what is the wildest program?

I know there are newer and older updates, but I am not sure what the difference is.

Quick Reply: Smarty :)