3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
If you have had the Bully Dog Triple Dog USB serial converter drivers previously installed that is probably the issue. They both use the same manufacture for the driver, but the BD was a little new version on mine. Just to be on the safe side I went to add/remove programs and removed the USB serial converter drivers installed. Rebooted and then when I plugged in the Smarty the found new hardward standard senario started. Installed from the Smarty zip and everything worked as normal. The BDTD drivers probably would have worked, just did not want to take a chance.

Good info John. thank you
Old 10-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I was the guy that caught College Station on fire yesterday.

We put the Smarty on my dually with a EZ, and quad boost fooler. it smoked worse than my dads stacked, injected, 2nd gen, It was really bad . I LOVED IT. Right now I am haveing some issues with Bully Dog customer service, I will probly get rid of the BDDL and go with a Smarty. Like these guys have said they have had some tranny problems and such, my G56 was all grins. Hopefully I can get some more time with the Smarty to see how it does in normal driving conditions, AKA not killing the birds, blacking out joggers, and stopping trffic . I liked the touchy throtle and power, never felt a "flat spot" all the way up 80mph in a 40mph zone.

anyway only time will tell...
Old 10-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

you will have the same tranny trouble caused by a smarty that I did. WAY TOO MUCH POWER FOR THE FACTORY CLUTCH. WORTH EVERY PENNY.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Banned

OH YEAH, that will be next with a couple of other mods. We ran the Smarty on 90 w/ no timing and the EZ on all levels, it didnt seem to slip the stocker, but this truck has never been slipped before. (never enough mods on this one)

It was on the verge though...
Old 10-06-2006, 10:24 PM

i wonder why it was on the verge? i think i hit my head on the back glass a couple of times when u first got on it
Old 10-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Banned

HA HA

Just keepin the go pedal on the floor, and do rest with the clutch.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:28 AM

Thanks Bob! I just downloaded the 3e_306_502.zip that Bob sent me for the Smarty and initial test drive is no more timing rattle! Even with the TST set on auto timing and the Smarty set on 9, even though with the 555 engine 9 doesn't do much more that 7. It also seem to react better with the TST! Seem much stronger now and very driveable! I'm going to Boise tomorrow and will get a better feel for it.

Way to go Marco!!
Old 10-07-2006, 12:11 PM

You guys keep saying that the stock clutch/tranny wont handle the Smarty. On any level? Would the stock clutch hold up to the 90hp setting if i wasnt stacking anything?
Old 10-07-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my neighbor has an 03 6speed and he hauls a camper plus enclosed trailer 17K load and he towing in level 3 60 hp with timing.

he dropped his egts by almost 200 degrees and his mileage when from 11.2 to 15.7

he is one happy camper but he claims to drive like a granny
Old 10-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boz007
You guys keep saying that the stock clutch/tranny wont handle the Smarty. On any level? Would the stock clutch hold up to the 90hp setting if i wasnt stacking anything?
It would depend how you drive it, if you speed shift, and do boosted launches, the clutch will have a short painful life. I beleive if you add the power after the clutch is locked and not pull anything it would be ok.

BUUUUUTTTTT what do you think you are going to do with all that power, drive slower????
Old 10-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Banned

OOPs I just noticed the any level part.... and yeah a stock tranny can handle the lower levels, with a manual trans being stronger than the auto. Stock to Stock.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HappyGA
That is what I am saying Bob, seems like no matter what the guy hears it is not what he wants to hear.

By the way, Got my candy bar today...I will report on here monday, maybe I will not be calling Goerends befoer then..
well explain to me why when i had it was play racing today (closed course ofcourse )......ok i was floored out...let off at 105mph...boost let down for an instant then went right back up and truck kept pulling AND MY FOOT WAS NOT IN THE THROTTLE. i stomped the brake pedal and the motor quit revving. this was on level 5.

Scary instances like this is why i am so full of questions and want to know why its MY truck doing this and not everyones.

BTW i drove on level 5 for 450 miles this weekend. As long as i can accelerate at my own pace, tranny hunt is fine. If i am in traffic and slowing down and going again without completely stopping and going at someone elses rate of acceleration, thats when the tranny goes to hunting and gets confused between gears.

THANK YOU John aka Ramwheelsby. Thats probably my problem. i'll try stock torque management ASAP.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
If you have had the Bully Dog Triple Dog USB serial converter drivers previously installed that is probably the issue. They both use the same manufacture for the driver, but the BD was a little new version on mine. Just to be on the safe side I went to add/remove programs and removed the USB serial converter drivers installed. Rebooted and then when I plugged in the Smarty the found new hardward standard senario started. Installed from the Smarty zip and everything worked as normal. The BDTD drivers probably would have worked, just did not want to take a chance.
That was my exact problem. THANK YOU. I might have never figured that out.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 973604x4
That was my exact problem. THANK YOU. I might have never figured that out.
It took me a while. I tried two different computers and had the same issue. Then I realized I had upgraded my BDTD with both computers.

Glad it solved your problem. Now on to more Smarty testing.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Banned

Stock Torque Management program feels much better. I'll need more time to decide for sure. Gear hunt is still there if i can't accelerate at my own pace.....maybe some DTT tinkering will solve that.

As mentioned earlier, on the #2 software.....going 105mph...let off and then the truck started pulling again on its own. I stomped the brake and it calmed down fine....but thats scary!

Quick Reply: Smarty :)