3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Single vs. twins Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single vs. twins Question

Ok I need a turbo, and I really want the stocker/s400, but from what I hear the SPS62 is quite a nice turbo and I can get a new one for 1100. Now my question how much more HP can I expect to gain with the twins over the SPS w/ my mods, Smarty TNT/R and 90 hp sticks, Im trying to figure out if its worth the extra $$$. And if anybody has ran both whats the spool up time different?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:58 PM

there's no comparison,go for the twins, even if your going to use your stocker,and especially with sticks and tnt.good luck
Old 11-26-2008, 02:41 PM

You can get some fairly nice numbers with the SPS62, but in real life, you cannot utilize your trucks power because your egt's will get too hot.

I have had an SPS62, a Silver62, and now the BD's. The SPS62 was a better all around turbo than the Silver, less laggy, lower egt's while towing. But niether one compares to what I have now.

I also was going to do a 04.5+ stocker over an S400, I had to come up with a newer stocker first because my 03 stocker was too small. I was able to obtain the BD R700 kit for the same money I would have spent going my original route. I also believe the BD secondary compressor (SuperB) is stronger/stouter than a stock 04.5+ turbo. I am happy with the results, I am sure I would have been happy going the other direction too, this just happened easier.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:43 PM

I agree with Mulisha, go twins. I have ran a few diffent singles and two sets of twins and can say I will never have a single again. With stixs and TNT definatley twins. Great street manners and awsome temp control with great low end and superior top end. BD.......Twins
Old 11-26-2008, 02:43 PM
O.T

Originally Posted by Hintz
Ok I need a turbo, and I really want the stocker/s400, but from what I hear the SPS62 is quite a nice turbo and I can get a new one for 1100. Now my question how much more HP can I expect to gain with the twins over the SPS w/ my mods, Smarty TNT/R and 90 hp sticks, Im trying to figure out if its worth the extra $$$. And if anybody has ran both whats the spool up time different?

Not sure you will gain much power with the twins over the single. If your fueling increases twins are nice for cooling. Spool up should be pretty close if not better with the small twins.
If it comes down to money, well you can answer that yourself.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:46 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The big difference between a single turbo and twins is really going to be the driveability. If you are going to make a fair amount of hp you have to have a fairly large single turbo to be able to flow enough air to keep it cool. The bigger the turbo, the more lag you end up with. When you go to twins you essentially get the best of both worlds. You get great bottom end throttle response from the small turbo, then you have lots of air flow in the top end to keep the egts down.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:47 PM

A 62 is not going to support TNT and 90sticks without egt issues. The stocker/s400 set up will. Peak power - don't know and don't care. There's no point in having power you can't use.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by onetun
Not sure you will gain much power with the twins over the single. If your fueling increases twins are nice for cooling. Spool up should be pretty close if not better with the small twins.
If it comes down to money, well you can answer that yourself.
I agree with this. All else being the same, the Silver62 netted me 555hp/1092tq. The twins are whats in my sig, but now I rarely see over 1200f.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:57 PM
DTR Advertiser

With twins the reason you usually pick up power over a single is you are actually burning all the fuel and turning it into power. Black smoke is unburnt fuel. A single is going to throw way more black smoke than twins. That is why I really don't understand the "I want my truck to smoke like a freight train" mentality. I would rather have my truck running nice and clean and burning all that fuel for more hp than a big cloud of black smoke. But that is a another debate.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I too have been debating twins vs single for awhile now.

If you do buy a single, buy one that can be upgraded to twins in the future. The BD Super B is a great turbo for this.

I have nearly purchased a Super B for while now but if you pull the stock turbo you should upgrade the stock exhaust manifold,
but then the exhaust manifold that works with singles won't work with twins.
Plus you have to modify your exhaust system to fit most aftermarket singles, plus modify it again when you go to twins.

In the long run, I have concluded that going to twins right off the bat is cheaper and easier.

...Joe
Old 11-26-2008, 04:35 PM

you do gain power going from a single charger to duals,i gained almost 4 tenth's in the quarter, and it drives like a dream.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:17 PM
wap

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
I too have been debating twins vs single for awhile now.

If you do buy a single, buy one that can be upgraded to twins in the future. The BD Super B is a great turbo for this.

I have nearly purchased a Super B for while now but if you pull the stock turbo you should upgrade the stock exhaust manifold,
but then the exhaust manifold that works with singles won't work with twins.
Plus you have to modify your exhaust system to fit most aftermarket singles, plus modify it again when you go to twins.

In the long run, I have concluded that going to twins right off the bat is cheaper and easier.

...Joe

Most of all the aftermarket turbos will work with a stock exhaust without modificaiton.

I am assuming most twins kits will too. I do not have stock exhaust on my truck anymore but it was not an issue at all with my twins. Most companies the make twins sell a dp with the kit that will bolt right up.

I agree with you on the manifold, thats why I ran my stocker with my SPS66 so I wouldnt have to buy 2 manifolds.

I havent had a chance to stand on my twins yet (wanting to break them in and get my Opie bypass intalled) but when I do maybe I can contribute to this thread and help you with your decision. I can say that so far (only taken em to 40psi) these twins I have are a dream to drive vs my SPS66. And so far egts are a nonissue.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:27 PM
wap

I just realized you are in Ga, if you arent too far off I could take you for a ride in my truck. Ours arent that differant, other than the injectors and turbo. I am about an hour south of Atl, and about 30 min east of Lagrange.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:05 AM

WAP- What sized twins did you go with?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:18 AM
wap

The BD R850s, I am not 100% sure on the specs of the primary, I think is it somewhere in the range of an S480, and my secondary is the Super B special. Its the same set Malcolm is runnin (or was when a couple months ago if he hasnt changed em) at harborcity diesel.

I looked for a link cause I thought there was a video of his 150mph pass but couldnt find it.

It is a fairly large set of twins, but so far they spool pretty dang quick and I wouldnt be worried one bit to hook to a 20k lbs trailer and go across county with it. They have better manors then my SPS66 did, and I towed some pretty big loads with it.

Quick Reply: Single vs. twins Question