3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Silver 64 as a Towwing Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 64 as a Towwing Turbo

I would like to know any experience from any other cummins diehard out there is has towed with this turbo. I tow a 13K fver not full time but quite a few times through the year as go from jobsite to jobsite.

I tried to call II the other day to get some info about this turbo and I couldnt get the guy to pay any attention besides that it cools good and had little lag compared to stock. I am running a HTT super stocker 62 at persent while it is good I have no problem getting to 1400.

I am about to do CP3, rail and injector upgrades so with fuel you get more heat.

The decision is between this Silver 64 turbo or BD twins. The only thing that makes me hesitate about the twins is maintenance. When you work 7 days a week and 12 hours + per day it does not leave much time for anything else.

Even guys that are towing with the silver 62 would like to hear how it spools and cools when towing when compared to your previous turbo.

thanks for any experience or info.

romeo
Old 07-18-2007, 01:57 PM

why dont you just send your turbo in to HTT and get them to upgrade it throw your stocker back on so your not down with your your truck alot cheaper to have then upgrade your turbo than getting a new one
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by CTD03
why dont you just send your turbo in to HTT and get them to upgrade it throw your stocker back on so your not down with your your truck alot cheaper to have then upgrade your turbo than getting a new one
I had thought about that but I sold the stock turbo so I am having to buy another for when I shut down the truck in December I will have all the parts ready for my mechanic.

If I go with the silver then I wll send the super stocker in to be upgraded to a 64/13 gold nugget. I have already got a quote from HTT for the conversion.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by PowerDually
I am about to do CP3, rail and injector upgrades so with fuel you get more heat.

romeo
That's not entirely true. You can get heat from not spooling your turbo enough off of the bottom through mid range. More fuel on the low end will help build boost and keep that turbo spooled. I would wait for your fuel upgrades first before making any conclusions on that turbo. From your sig it looks to me like you don't have enough fuel to spool that turbo. The injectors will do wonders for you. You went from a stock turbo to a 71mm turbine wheel and half again as big of housing and it takes a lot to spool it so it can make boost to cool the charge down. Just my opinion though.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by staarma
That's not entirely true. You can get heat from not spooling your turbo enough off of the bottom through mid range. More fuel on the low end will help build boost and keep that turbo spooled. I would wait for your fuel upgrades first before making any conclusions on that turbo. From your sig it looks to me like you don't have enough fuel to spool that turbo. The injectors will do wonders for you. You went from a stock turbo to a 71mm turbine wheel and half again as big of housing and it takes a lot to spool it so it can make boost to cool the charge down. Just my opinion though.
I am also running a Helix 2 cam and springs with BD scary larry with an MP-8. It smokes just a hair on the bottom end and then clears right up. I have a quad rail that I have not installed yet but I think I have enough pressure so far because I can get it to 1200 on the bottom end but at 80 mph I am running 800 degrees.

The puck I had on before would smoke out the world before the MP-8. The MP-8 does a better job of boost fooling and spools the turbo faster than the puck and keep the boost going with fuel.

I do appreciate your opinion because anything that might help whether opinion or experince can be helpful. Most people have an opinion because they have tried it or something similar.

thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Thumbs up

I would like to know any experience from any other cummins diehard out there is has towed with this turbo. I tow a 13K fver not full time but quite a few times through the year as go from jobsite to jobsite.

I tried to call II the other day to get some info about this turbo and I couldnt get the guy to pay any attention besides that it cools good and had little lag compared to stock. I am running a HTT super stocker 62 at persent while it is good I have no problem getting to 1400.

The decision is between this Silver 64 turbo or BD twins. The only thing that makes me hesitate about the twins is maintenance. When you work 7 days a week and 12 hours + per day it does not leave much time for anything else.

Even guys that are towing with the silver 62 would like to hear how it spools and cools when towing when compared to your previous turbo.

thanks for any experience or info.

romeo

I tow a 5th wheel 12k and currently have 64/71/13 HTTss with an auto. I don't tow more then a couple of times a month, and have really no issues except a little surging around 70 MPH up a steep grade. I would not normally recommend a 64 series turbo for someone that tows as much as us, however, since you have a manual and are planning on upgrading to injectors etc., I believe the new HTTss 64/71/13 I'm running would be great for you. You will get more flow with 64 and the cooling of the stainless steel. You will have slighty more lag on bottom, but the top end of the 64 over the 62 will be well worth the trade off expecially with the fuel upgrades.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by HeberRam
I tow a 5th wheel 12k and currently have 64/71/13 HTTss with an auto. I don't tow more then a couple of times a month, and have really no issues except a little surging around 70 MPH up a steep grade. I would not normally recommend a 64 series turbo for someone that tows as much as us, however, since you have a manual and are planning on upgrading to injectors etc., I believe the new HTTss 64/71/13 I'm running would be great for you. You will get more flow with 64 and the cooling of the stainless steel. You will have slighty more lag on bottom, but the top end of the 64 over the 62 will be well worth the trade off expecially with the fuel upgrades.
If I dont go twins and get the silver 64 I am going to send the super stocker that I have to be upgraded to the 64/13 gold nugget but am wanting the upper end that you can get from the 64 versus the great towing ability that people seem to say about the silver 62.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:57 PM

Thumbs up

If I dont go twins and get the silver 64 I am going to send the super stocker that I have to be upgraded to the 64/13 gold nugget but am wanting the upper end that you can get from the 64 versus the great towing ability that people seem to say about the silver 62.
You will get the towing ability with the HTTss 64/71/13 with the top end power your'e wanting if you upgrade you fueling. All you do is turn down the fuel when you plan on towing. I run, injectors, mod cp3 pump, fass 150 etc., Edge juice w/additude and dyno over 600hp+. The reason I don't normally recommend a 64 for towing is with an auto it is a little harder to spool, and you don't have the flexibility of walking the gears. You got the manual, and plan on other fueling mods, so the 64 would be "ok". Like someone else said, do the upgrades first then the turbo. I have my stock turbo, from my 05' sitting in my garage, if intrested, make me a "killer offer" and it's yours. Beats buying a silver 62????
Old 07-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by HeberRam
You will get the towing ability with the HTTss 64/71/13 with the top end power your'e wanting if you upgrade you fueling. All you do is turn down the fuel when you plan on towing. I run, injectors, mod cp3 pump, fass 150 etc., Edge juice w/additude and dyno over 600hp+. The reason I don't normally recommend a 64 for towing is with an auto it is a little harder to spool, and you don't have the flexibility of walking the gears. You got the manual, and plan on other fueling mods, so the 64 would be "ok". Like someone else said, do the upgrades first then the turbo. I have my stock turbo, from my 05' sitting in my garage, if intrested, make me a "killer offer" and it's yours. Beats buying a silver 62????
That is the problem that I have is because shutting the truck down is very unlikely so I have to either go with gusto or just stay where I am at.
I have been home 3 days since Jan 7 of this year so I am trying to make my mind what to get for December.

When it comes to parts it worse than going with you wife to the grocery store and watching her decide what loaf of bread to get but our parts cost a little more.

The other idea tossing around is making the super into a 62/13 and stack over a s400 and make my own twins next year.

To many ideas and the decision is like the wind.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 PM

Heberam, how do you think the 64/13ss will do over a K-31 in a twin setup with my mods? Should I try it as is or just send it in and make it into a 62?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 AM

I do appreciate your opinion because anything that might help whether opinion or experince can be helpful. Most people have an opinion because they have tried it or something similar.

thanks
That's my opinion for now because I'm having the same problem. I've got a DiabloSport that I'm going to download shortly and I hope to help spool the low end with more fuel. I'm getting a program done as we speak so it will play nice with my Hot Juice and EZ stack. If that doesn't help I'm going to pull the EZ and put a Quad boost fooler on there and then run a different Diablo program with pressure. Oh, I also ordered a cool twist intercooler to help things along. I say try the fuel upgrades first because I experimented the last time out with my truck. Towing the hauler I ran level 1 and then down to 0 on the juice. EGT's went to 1340 + so I backed out of it. Couldn't understand and was confused by this. On the way back on the other side of the same hill but a little steaper grade I ran the Juice up to level 3 just to see. Couldn't get it past 1290 degrees. I did notice that boost was up though to around 33-35 PSI. Unfortunatelyu I didn't look at boost before because my eyes were glued to the EGT. Fuel pressure stays at 17 and rail pressure always stays above 20k with quite a bit left.

If none of this starts making sense then I will have a date with Idaho CTD for custom twins using my 62/71/13 ss on top.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:47 AM

The 64/13 is too big for the top turbo over a K31...

Use a 62....or a different bottom turbo.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by staarma
That's my opinion for now because I'm having the same problem. I've got a DiabloSport that I'm going to download shortly and I hope to help spool the low end with more fuel. I'm getting a program done as we speak so it will play nice with my Hot Juice and EZ stack. If that doesn't help I'm going to pull the EZ and put a Quad boost fooler on there and then run a different Diablo program with pressure. Oh, I also ordered a cool twist intercooler to help things along. I say try the fuel upgrades first because I experimented the last time out with my truck. Towing the hauler I ran level 1 and then down to 0 on the juice. EGT's went to 1340 + so I backed out of it. Couldn't understand and was confused by this. On the way back on the other side of the same hill but a little steaper grade I ran the Juice up to level 3 just to see. Couldn't get it past 1290 degrees. I did notice that boost was up though to around 33-35 PSI. Unfortunatelyu I didn't look at boost before because my eyes were glued to the EGT. Fuel pressure stays at 17 and rail pressure always stays above 20k with quite a bit left.

If none of this starts making sense then I will have a date with Idaho CTD for custom twins using my 62/71/13 ss on top.

Yes it makes sense and that is the reason that I am going to upgrade the entire fuel system with the injectors, rail and CP3 along with a FASS 150 from the 95 that I am running now.
This should be the last of the upgrades when I finally decide on the turbo to go with.
I went spending last month and bought the a BD triple and then another with Scary larry as well as a PPE HOT. I bought a puck, mp-8 and a DR P stage 3 for the pressure . The truck runs good but wanted to find the right programming that does it for my truck. The only on that I have not bought yet are the diablo and the smarty.
I am waiting on the smarty to kinda get their programming straigtht. I am not bad mouthing or dishing it but with all the regular and betas that are out there is kinda hard to keep up with.

The other item that I kinda want is the VA C5 that I think might be the cats meow on being able to tune a silver 64 for optimimum running.
Still thinking about a silver 62 but it does not seem a whole lot of people are running them.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:17 PM

Thumbs up Twins?????

Guys, I don't have the experience with twins, as I am not a big fan of twins anyway....I can't tell you what wil work or what won't as that is an area I am not familuar with. However, if you guys are thinkng that is the direction you want to go, one of my best friends is Nathan Wright or (Idaho CTD) as someone said who lives in Idaho, who can build and design a set-up for you with the right combo of turbos. (Nathan, I can't believe I just said that??) He's been trying to get me to the "other" side for years..

I can only help you with my experiences with the single set-up. Call Nathan, he will do you right.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:28 PM

Thumbs up

That is the problem that I have is because shutting the truck down is very unlikely so I have to either go with gusto or just stay where I am at.
I have been home 3 days since Jan 7 of this year so I am trying to make my mind what to get for December.

When it comes to parts it worse than going with you wife to the grocery store and watching her decide what loaf of bread to get but our parts cost a little more.

The other idea tossing around is making the super into a 62/13 and stack over a s400 and make my own twins next year.

To many ideas and the decision is like the wind.

Romeo, welcome to the club... when you get it all figured out and spend tons of money on fueling boxes, turbos, injectors etc. you will share your receipe for success won't you so we don't have to go through it all??????

Quick Reply: Silver 64 as a Towwing Turbo