3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Silver 62 Install-Almost: Comedy of ERRORS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 62 Install-Almost: Comedy of ERRORS

Seamed simple enough.. jack the truck up get the stock turbo off. Get the 62 bolted completely up... tried to bolt the oil drain tube up... Here's where it gets interesting. I tried for an hour trying to get it bolted up, there's no way to get the back bolt in there, much less even fit a wrench. So I call II. They say.... bolt it up BEFORE you install the turbo.... NICE of them to not include ANY instructions. I bolted the oil line with the stock turbo in place, nothing would tell you, you can't with the 62. So, off I go pulling it back off the truck. As I was pulling it off the manifold, the gasket falls off, of course it can't just fall on the ground... NOPE, it falls perfectly into the down pipe... Yep, just lost a gasket...??? Since no Kitty, I try blowing up the tailpipe with leaf blower... nothing... drive around town looking for new gasket (1 hr), I come home, use the blower again... unbolt the down pipe, insert arm, find gasket in empty cat... bolt her up... bolt on the oil drain, bolt turbo back up....hook up oil supply hose, elbow, intake, everything but inserting the oil drain back in the block. Drain hose is flexible, but it takes alot to bend... couldn't for the life of me, get it back in there... almost like it was too short now??? Farted with that for another hour, and right as it FINALLY popped back in the block, the upper part of the hose by the flange... cracked... YOU GOTTA BE FREAKIN KIDDIN ME...., SO... truck is inop till Tuesday when the dealer can get me another.... AND..... I had to unbolt EVERYTHING AGAIN..... I've pulled engines quicker than this???
Hope everyone gets a laugh from this, I know I wasn't.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:27 PM

I sure all your pain will pay off in the end. It'll be worth it. That actually sounds like something that would happen to me.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:31 PM

That Silver 62 is worth all the messing around!!! You'll love it, now hold on....
Old 03-10-2007, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
everyone has those kinda days......

Just think how good you will be at it next time
hang in there you will be stoked when your done
Old 03-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Banned

yep my installer had similar headaches. good thing is....its all worth it in the end
Old 03-10-2007, 10:45 PM

Yah, I know it'll be worth it, but my knuckles don't think so.

Oh BTW.... I had asked how much to torque the nuts to? You guys were right, I was lucky to even get a wrench on them. I thought the back left was hard, not even close compared to the one of the rt. I couldn't hardly fit a wrench in there....
I hope my GDP and CP3 mods are easier... I'm getting my tranny on Monday.... then my injectors/head studs????
Old 03-11-2007, 01:43 AM

are you doing full injectors or nozzles? If nozzles, be very very carefull. The head studs are fairly straightforward. i pulled my head, IMHO that is a much better way to go, I know alot of guys do it without pulling it, but if you disturb that gasket in any way shape or form it sure would suck in the long run

kevin
Old 03-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

i think all of us as installers have been there at one time or another. all i can say is it all pays off in the end. you will be very happy with that turbo.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Banned

Soon you will be reaping your rewards and that frustration will be a grin from ear to ear!!!!

Shane
Old 03-11-2007, 10:11 AM

I'll be doing the Flux 2's. The part that really sux is that my tranny is coming in on Monday, and I can't take it to the shop so I can install it?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
megaram, what shop are you using?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:18 AM

The leaf blower up the tail pipe is "Priceless". That was good.

Hay
Old 03-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Hay: Yep, it would've worked had it not slid down all the way to the cat shell.

A friend has a auto shop by the medical center, he has all the lifts etc...
Old 03-11-2007, 03:44 PM

Been down that road, & realized, it just isn't fun anymore.
When I was laying in my driveway swearing. And then it started to rain. I found new levels of aggravation. Sometimes you just gotta walk away.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Well the best part is that I had been in bed for two days prior with the flu, so I wasn't feeling good anyway. Not to mention I was wearing sandals when I pulled the tire off and let if fall....right on my rt toe.... when that happened, I should have just walked away.

Quick Reply: Silver 62 Install-Almost: Comedy of ERRORS