3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Silver 62,64 Or Htt 62,64 Which One Is Best For Me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 62 Or Htt 62 Which One Is Best For Me?

in my old thread i was trying to decide on a turbo and fuel system setup. i have decided to go w/ the air dog 150 for fuel and now need to decide on a turbo. after looking at several different brands i have narrowed it down to the silver 62/74/14 OR the HTT 62/71/14ss. which turbo would work best for my application listed below:

daily light towing (3k lbs.), night/weekend daily driver, at least 550 hp, quick spool up, no surging, using goerend triple disc tc set up a little tighter than stock, air dog 150, smarty run on level 7 or 9, ats exhaust manifold, i will add a fuel box such as ez or mp8 and cp3/injectors as needed. also have the other mods listed in my sig.

i want a quick truck on the street w/ good drivability and something that will run decent at the track. i dont want too big of a turbo that will lag and im fine w/ whatever power i end up w/ as long as its 550+ i never tow heavy, and rarely tow more than 3k.

also which brand will hold up better in the long run. cost isnt an issue, i just want reliability, quality and the proper turbo for me.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:20 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Silver 62 (leaves some room for extra hp too) or HTT 62/13ss although honestly, for spool-up purposes (and 90% of your driving) I think you would be better with the 65 wheel than the 71.. but that is just me... others will disagree.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:24 PM

unless I am blind by the looks of your sig it looks like you have stock injectors

I think with the auto trans and your mods the 64 HTT or II is too big for your application use!

if you plan on adding some injectors maybe at least flux 1.5 70 hp or a fluxs 2 = 100 hp injectors then the silver bullet 62 is going to give you the strongest punch of power

but then a set of studs will be a smart idea as well !

IMO to make the silver II 62 really shine you will need some bigger injectors and also a set of head studs as precautionary measure.

if you are planning to stay with stock injectors which on an 06 are not all that bad then a htt 62/71/13ss will be a great choice with your mods

if you wanted to later you could use the 62/71/13ss in a twin combo with a s400 on the bottom and really be loving life.

the htt 62 is a very versatile turbo

the silver II 62 would need serious fueling in a twin combo if it was to be used as a secondary turbo

also the htt 62 comes avail in a 12 cm cast 14 cm cast or 13ss

with the htt 62/71/13ss 550 hp is realistically going to be a fairly high mark with your mods, if you can push higher it wont be by much.

with the silver II 62 you could hit 550 easier but you really wont benefit unless you get bigger injectors with the silver & then 600 hp with your mods could be possible at that point your cp3 will be a limiting factor

it really comes down to what you want , and how much money your willing to part with in order to get there.

and remember there is no free lunches

the more you push the power and take advantage of it ie: driving it like you mean it & with gaining more power thats what these trucks scream for us to do !

you will be rebuilding parts more often and replacing the parts that break and believe me all of the above is par for the course!

as far as reliability I have lots of experience with HTT, the cust service, warranty etc is excellent

I have friends that also run II turbos , I believe that both II & HTT are both comparable and depending on the use for which each turbo is intended to be used for
both II and HTT each offer turbos that are better suited for a specific application.

sorry for the long post .... I hope this helps you
Old 02-03-2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
Silver 62 (leaves some room for extra hp too) or HTT 62/13ss although honestly, for spool-up purposes (and 90% of your driving) I think you would be better with the 65 wheel than the 71.. but that is just me... others will disagree.

so the htb2 has the 65 wheel correct? what about the 74 wheel on the silver? if i go w/ either of these you mentioned what will happen if i end up w/ alot more than 550 hp? im assuming higher egt's and less reliability from the turbo?

so will the 64's spool that much noticably than the 62's?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:36 PM

the 74 wheel on the silver 62 will be warmer egts and a lot more smoke at lower rpms then at higher rpms it will run cooler & smoke should clear and at higher hp levels 550hp + the drive pressures would be better on the silver with 74 wheel then the 65 wheel on the htt

the 65 htt wheel on the htb2 will spool quicker then the 74 silver but will fall flat on the top end and with more hp 511 + your drive pressures will be higher.

the htt htb2 can be ordered with a 71 wheel and a 14 cm cast housing ,
that turbo is 1:1 drive pressure ratio upto 50lbs of boost very nice setup for your current mods .

I would set the wastegate at 43 lbs on that turbo thats very safe and should not be easy on the head gasket and the turbo at 500-550 will be a great performer.

I have had both the 65 & 71 on a htt 62 and for your use I would pick the 71 wheel as it is better for drive pressures and will be worth close to 50hp more then a 65 wheel on the same htt turbo.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:39 PM

desertchecker, i really appreciate the input. the reason i said 550+hp is mainly because others have told me i would probably make more( also the reason i decided on the ad 150 over the 100). i dont know how much i will end up making, but i would be perfectly happy w/ anything in the 500's as long as drivability and reliability is good. you did see in my post i will add more fueling mods as needed? i.e. ez or mp8, cp3 and stix. im not worried about making more power that way, but if i need to add more fuel to go w/ the turbo than i will.

sounds like you guys are saying a 64 would be too big for me. that is what i want to hear now rather than after i spend the $$ on it. so does the silver 62need more fuel due to the 74 wheel? and i guess if i provide the fuel than it will make more power than the htt 62 correct? which one will spool quicker given the proper fueling?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by desertchecker
the 74 wheel on the silver 62 will be warmer egts and a lot more smoke at lower rpms then at higher rpms it will run cooler & smoke should clear and at higher hp levels 550hp + the drive pressures would be better on the silver with 74 wheel then the 65 wheel on the htt

the 65 htt wheel on the htb2 will spool quicker then the 74 silver but will fall flat on the top end and with more hp 511 + your drive pressures will be higher.

the htt htb2 can be ordered with a 71 wheel and a 14 cm cast housing ,
that turbo is 1:1 drive pressure ratio upto 50lbs of boost very nice setup for your current mods .

I would set the wastegate at 43 lbs on that turbo thats very safe and should not be easy on the head gasket and the turbo at 500-550 will be a great performer.

I have had both the 65 & 71 on a htt 62 and for your use I would pick the 71 wheel as it is better for drive pressures and will be worth close to 50hp more then a 65 wheel on the same htt turbo.

did you mean an ss housing? which would be better for me?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 AM

every day driver reliable 500 hp + 62/71/13ss would be great with current mods

you want to spend more $$ on more supporting mods the silver 62 will give you the most overall power in a 62 charger but to really reap the rewards

consider also the following :
head studs
injectors
cp3 mod

you do not need these for the silver 62 , but the extra mods will help out to maximize the true potential of the silver 62
Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 AM

alright im now undecided between the silver 62/74 and the htt 62/71. i understand the htt will probably be perfect for stock injectors/cp3 and the silver 62 will also work w/ stock but be even better w/ aftermarket injectors/cp3 and make more power.

question #1-if i stay with stock injectors and cp3 will there be a noticable difference in spool up, egt's or power between the two?

question #2-if i decide to stack an mp8 w/ my smarty to make more power will both turbo's still work good? will i then need to add stix/cp3 for the stack? if so it sounds like the silver would be the way to go.

but then again i could do a twin setup w/ the htt.......
Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 PM

anybody?

its now between the silver 62/74 and the htt 62/71........what do you guys think?

also im thinking of sticking w/ a cast exhaust housing, i think im going to wait until the ss housings have been out in the field for a while before going that route.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar thread on this. The ss62/65/13 (or do I write 62/13/65?) is only $150 more than the HTB2 62/14 on ebay. I mailed HTT told them what I saw on e-bay, and asked which turbo is better for me. I told them I like to run my Smarty on level 9/4.4 all day and I don't want annoying turbo lag. I also told them I tow a 10k+ trailer and I don't want to get upset while towing. Here is what they said:

"An after market turbo will be slower spooling due to the larger housings but the stainless housing has a better designed volute chamber to increase exhaust flow for better spool-up, so with what your describing the 62/13 is what we recommend with the small turbine wheel so that towing your trailer isn't such a chore."

Seems like safe advice to trust since either way I was talking about one of their 2 products on e-bay and the middle-man has all ready paid them for the products.

Just sharing info as I am still learning myself.

Thanx.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:43 PM

well i dont tow heavy so i guess i would want the 62/71 if i went w/ htt.

i cant decide, i like the fact that the silver62/74 will support more power and have lower egt's up top but im worried about how much more lag it would have over the htt 62/71 w/ my stock injectors and cp3.

i guess if i knew for sure i would upgrade injectors and cp3 in the future then i would go w/ the silver but i may never touch the injectors or cp3.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:54 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd still say, if you are that undecided and may/may not go more on improvements-- 62/65/13ss...

Faster spool, less chance of bark/surge (see the HTT recommendations above) fits your needs right now with some room to grow and if you really want a fair bit more power later, this makes a perfect secondary turbo for twins-- put a K31 or s400 under it and smile!!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:57 PM

i would go with the 62/71/13ss cause you can always up grade the turbo to a 64 instead of buying a new turbo. the 62/71 also goes good if you ever decide to upgrade to twins.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM

I say go with the 62/71/13ss HTT. Ive been on the fence myself for 2 weeks trying to decide. Im hearing to much bad about II's 74 wheel, that it loads the turbine side to hard and is super hard on bearings. I myself have finally decided on the HTT 66/71/13ss. Hope this helps, not in any way downing II this is just what ive heard and read in the past couple weeks. Call them and see if they can help. Good luck Ryan

Quick Reply: Silver 62,64 Or Htt 62,64 Which One Is Best For Me?