3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Silencer Ring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silencer Ring?

Hey Guys:

I have removed my silencer ring from my CTD. It sounds awesome connected to the Airaid w/ MIT ....whistle whistle whistle! By the way fellas, the Airaid has 7 filters too! Is the silencer ring is only for sound? It does not hurt the air flow? Will it hurt my turbo or anything else with it removed?

Thanks...

GOTTA LUV THAT SOUND!!! WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTLLLLLLEEEEEEE
Old 06-02-2005, 07:26 PM
JAF

No. Just cuts the noise down.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:28 PM

I ran my 01 w/out the ring for 90,000 mi
Never any problems
Old 06-03-2005, 04:28 AM

I though I heard something that sounded like a jet engine. That must have been your truck!!!
Or was it mine????????
Old 06-03-2005, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the assistance!

Time for the guages and chip!

Keep on whistle'n
Old 06-15-2005, 12:38 PM

I just took the ring out of mine today. I hear it a little bit more, but not much, but I don't have a new intake or torque tube........yet. Sounds good! Hopefully the whistle will get louder.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:55 PM

Get the intake tube and modify the filter box for better air flow...you will hear the turbo even more.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:02 PM

I gutted my tube. Will and aftermarket tube make more diff than the gutted one?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:56 PM

Probably not that much difference in your gutted tube compared to one you buy, what I would do is open up the airbox for better flow as well as a free flowing air filter and less restrictive muffler.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:59 PM

I'm lookin to take my ring out. It'll be my first mod so i'm a little nervous (haven't even made the first payment on it yet).

Is it easy to take off? Any tutorials?

Will it void my warranty?

I'm thinking about starting a FAQ since i'm new and I believe alotta my questions have been asked before so don't feel bad about giving me a good example
Old 06-15-2005, 09:23 PM

Wow I cant believe that this thread is back up and running again!!

RAMDEZ,

I do not know if removing it would void the warranty or not. From the information that I read, it is only used to calm down the noise. It will not hurt your truck...

It only took me about 10 minutes to get it off. Others have taken longer or less...depending on the tools that you use.

I used a pair of needle nose pliars and a screwdriver (flat). The outside ring just pops off and then you pull out the silencer ring. Notthing to it. Actually, you can put it back in if you ever needed to if you had something go wrong with your turbo and needed to take it into the shop.

With my Airaid w/ MIT ...I can really hear the turbo when I am WOT. If I am just crusing along on the interstate (65-70 mph) I dont really notice it that much. It is kind of like the experience when you first put on an exhaust system...after time it seems as if it isnt that loud anymore. I really like the way people look at you when you WOT and pass on the Interstate.

If you like sound ...go for it ..if not ...dont....I do recommend that you get an air intake system. I really like Airaid and the price. Got my setup for $256 w/ MIT and a free cleaning kit.

I found out that the Airaid has 7 layers of filtration ...kind of like the AFE Pro Guard 7.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:27 PM

Awesome, I think i'm going to do it (especially if i can put it right back on). I would like to get some accessories but I'm not ready to say goodbye to the warranty. How will the Airraid handle my warranty? I'm not askin this question now but I'm hoping to go the way of the 'healthy' mods. I wanna do the stuff that keeps my truck lasting or increases the lasting of it rather than give me HUGE power gains. I read that some mods actually burn cleaner and will extend your truck (thats me). Anyway, thats all for now. I'm gonna poke around w/ the silencer.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:52 PM

I took the silencer ring and the white plastic air guide out of mine last night. The turbo sings a little louder @ 25+psi, but otherwise it isn't noticable. Guess I need to get myself an intake and straight pipe this *****!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:06 PM

Does anyone have a picture of the silencer ring?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by ram350013
Does anyone have a picture of the silencer ring?
not of the ring it self, but...

silencer ring in place
silencer ring gone

Quick Reply: Silencer Ring?