3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Side Exit Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cut off the tail pipe at the first hanger. It dumps right past the axel. I love it. Haven't decided if I am going to put a tip on or not. I like the hidden look.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran mine out the side and I love it!

The sound is not louder but a little bit more mechanical. It has an exhaust pipe five feet shorter than stock, there is now room alongside the fuel tank for an air tank and even more spare tire room.

The right rear wheel gets some soot on it over time, but not bad. And there is no temperature problem with that tire, it runs the same temp as the one on the left.

All I did was move the MBRP muffler I already had on it 37 inches forward. Then I cut the pipe and welded it up to come out the side in front of the tire where there is a small rise in the frame. Angled it out at about 45 degrees. Made a new bracket that bolted to an existing hole in the frame.

I't been this way for almost 50,000 miles.

Here's a pic

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&d=1205096878
Old 09-03-2008, 06:48 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OutOfSight

Thanks, kinda what I figured, but I was just curious.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:51 PM

WINDEX takes soot off paint and off the 5er that I pull like a charm trust me its awesome!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by DieselBoy20
WINDEX takes soot off paint and off the 5er that I pull like a charm trust me its awesome!
Yeah I bet it works great!... except all the ammonia in windex that slowly eats clear coat and paint.

Great for chrome!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
I ran mine out the side and I love it!

The sound is not louder but a little bit more mechanical. It has an exhaust pipe five feet shorter than stock, there is now room alongside the fuel tank for an air tank and even more spare tire room.

The right rear wheel gets some soot on it over time, but not bad. And there is no temperature problem with that tire, it runs the same temp as the one on the left.

All I did was move the MBRP muffler I already had on it 37 inches forward. Then I cut the pipe and welded it up to come out the side in front of the tire where there is a small rise in the frame. Angled it out at about 45 degrees. Made a new bracket that bolted to an existing hole in the frame.

I't been this way for almost 50,000 miles.

Here's a pic

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&d=1205096878
Mines the same way, no soot problems, 6" chrome tip, 36" x 4" glasspack muffler, sounds good, not to loud.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 AM

The side exit exhaust is pretty popular with the diesel guys in my neck of the woods. I'd rather have the side exhaust or have it dumping out under the truck where it can't be seen from behind the truck. I don't like the look of tailpipes.

Scott
Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by scottabrad
Yeah I bet it works great!... except all the ammonia in windex that slowly eats clear coat and paint.

Great for chrome!

It does work and i don't think it would kill your paint as quick as one might think, i use it then pressure wash my truck off. My trucks white and the back of the fender and tail gate are covered with soot all the time its gross. It's noticeable from a mile away.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by DieselBoy20
It does work and i don't think it would kill your paint as quick as one might think, i use it then pressure wash my truck off. My trucks white and the back of the fender and tail gate are covered with soot all the time its gross. It's noticeable from a mile away.
That does suck and I love white trucks. I just wanted to give you the info of what's in Windex. It wont show harm any tome soon. As I said, slowly through time you will deplete the protection on the plaint and maybe end up with not as a lustrous finish in the long term. Take a look at this stuff.

http://www.hopecompany.com/perfectglass.htm

I use this for cleaning my bike. It its great for everything! I think you can pick it up at HD or Lowes.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to have dual side pipes mounted kinda like rock slides, full polished chrome. Just my dream, stacks are gonna have to do for now. I'd say if you have the tip far enough away from the tire you should see no issues.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:00 PM

if you haul heavy, don't put your egh outlet infront of the tire....thats just silly!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redeyedracer
if you haul heavy, don't put your egh outlet infront of the tire....thats just silly!!!
Why is that silly? Mine is in front of the tire and it's been there for 50,000 miles. The exhaust dumps outside, not on the tire. The tires run at the same temp, left and right. I've measured them.

I do get soot on the tire and wheel, but I used to get it on the fender and bumper and don't now. Between washes I spray windex on the tire and wheel then hit it with the hose. It's about as annoying as brake dust on the front wheels.