3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Should I put my air dog on, or sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I put my air dog on, or sell it?

I bought an airdog set up a few years ago, but never put it on. Seems like the gen 3 trucks do not benefit from the aftermarket lift pumps the way the gen 2 trucks did.

Would I be well off to just put a cat 1.5 micron fuel filter set up on, and sell the air dog to someone with a gen 2, or am I missing something, and would be well of to keep it and install it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Put it on and add the Cat filter...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spooler
Put it on and add the Cat filter...
I could be wrong here, but doesn't the Cat filter have a different thread size and pitch than the airdog?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kingey
I could be wrong here, but doesn't the Cat filter have a different thread size and pitch than the airdog?
It will be an additional filter he can put between the airdog and the CP3. Easy to fit it on an 06. My Apps is in the way on my truck.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recommend you install it and put a Baldwin PF7977 fuel/water separator in the stock fuel canister. Then,as Spooler mentioned, add the following filter kit under the intake horn utilizing the Cat or Baldwin equivalent filter.

http://www.dodge-diesel.org/mkfikit0dora.html
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by maddog1927
I bought an airdog set up a few years ago, but never put it on. Seems like the gen 3 trucks do not benefit from the aftermarket lift pumps the way the gen 2 trucks did.

Would I be well off to just put a cat 1.5 micron fuel filter set up on, and sell the air dog to someone with a gen 2, or am I missing something, and would be well of to keep it and install it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
What am I missing? How do you feel like the 3rd gen trucks dont benefit? Both my trucks lift pumps failed. And they bring more fuel dont they?

I searched 3rd gen and aftermarket liftpumps and I only saw where discussiones centered around mechanical was better.

Why do you say 3rd gens do not benefit?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Better filtration and loosing the entrained air from the fuel can only benefit you. I say install it using the Cat filter and don't look back. All I did on mine was simply bypass the stock fuel system. In case something happens to the AD you can simply plug the factory LP back in and re-attach the fuel line to the CP3 and BOOM....you're back on the road. 30 mins max to change between the two.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spooler
It will be an additional filter he can put between the airdog and the CP3. Easy to fit it on an 06. My Apps is in the way on my truck.
I built a bracket to mount my filter head by the APPS like the GDP unit, but for a fraction of the cost (used the basic Vulcan kit which has the same thread as the cat filter)
Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 AM

I put the Cat filter on the AD along with an upgraded Fleetguard WS and so far so good. I do however drain the WS once a month now since the "better" WS pulls more H2O from the fuel if any is there.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm in the wrong forum.

My 6.7 factory pump ran for 158,000 miles. I put a Raptor 100 [AD pump] on with a Baldwin filter similar but not identical to the CAT set up. Could not get the CAT when I needed it. I also kept the factory filter/heater/water separator. The Baldwin is mounted under the drivers seat ahead of the Raptor.

You would do well by putting that pump on your truck.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Dang Scotty, putting the filter "under the drivers seat" took some engineering to make that work, not to add, lots of extra time . I couldn't help myself, you left yourself wide open for that one. Seems the intank pumps do last a little longer than the filter mounted units. I did however manage to squeeze close to 200k miles out of my factory unit before it failed on my '03.

My AD unit has been great....minus 1 little hiccup a couple months ago (had to be rebuilt)....but I'd do it all over again too.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Is there a link showing an install of the AD system along with the CAT filter floating around somewhere?

Could a guy run the AD/CAT setup and still retain the factory mounted canister on the firewall encase of an emergency?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
Is there a link showing an install of the AD system along with the CAT filter floating around somewhere?

Could a guy run the AD/CAT setup and still retain the factory mounted canister on the firewall encase of an emergency?
Yes! You can retain the factory canister pump as a backup by utilizing the GDP lift pump adapter. The attached link illustrates the product.

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...f_id=03045-LPA
Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
What am I missing? How do you feel like the 3rd gen trucks dont benefit? Both my trucks lift pumps failed. And they bring more fuel dont they?

I searched 3rd gen and aftermarket liftpumps and I only saw where discussiones centered around mechanical was better.

Why do you say 3rd gens do not benefit?
Just seems like it is near mandatory on the gen 2's, when your lift pump goes it takes the injector pump with it.

On the gen 3 It seems that A: they do not go out as often and B they do not take the cp3 with it.

All that said, thanks for the advice guys. I'll be installing it.