3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Shoot me straight on Transmission pans...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My double deep pan did nothing to lower my temps. Probably takes a bit longer to get it hot, but once it's hot, it's just as hot as before. The convenience of a drain plug and sending unit port is nice. I do figure the extra fluid has got to help a bit though in terms of keeping the fluid in decent shape between changes.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had my tranny completely rebuilt and upgraded. I did not install a deeper pan at the advice of my builder. His advice was I could spend the money if i wanted to, but when the extra fluid in the pan gets hot, it is all at the same operating temp weather or not it has 4 or 6 extra quarts. I opted not to add the deep pan. It doesn't do anything for my buddy who has Mag-hyteck on his Ford. He has the same operating temps as before he added the pan.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by EQUIPPRO
I just had my tranny completely rebuilt and upgraded. I did not install a deeper pan at the advice of my builder. His advice was I could spend the money if i wanted to, but when the extra fluid in the pan gets hot, it is all at the same operating temp weather or not it has 4 or 6 extra quarts. I opted not to add the deep pan. It doesn't do anything for my buddy who has Mag-hyteck on his Ford. He has the same operating temps as before he added the pan.
I have argued for awhile now that the powder coating on the Mag pans acts as an insulation and will actually help hold in heat.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 AM

I agree with robc, I believe the powder coated mag tech acutally hold in the heat. My PML double deep lowered my temps under normal daily commute driving between 20-50 degrees. Now my transmission temp guage rarely ever comes off the 100 mark on my 25 mile in stop and go traffic commute where before it would be in the 125-150 range.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lniemeyer2
I agree with robc, I believe the powder coated mag tech acutally hold in the heat. My PML double deep lowered my temps under normal daily commute driving between 20-50 degrees. Now my transmission temp guage rarely ever comes off the 100 mark on my 25 mile in stop and go traffic commute where before it would be in the 125-150 range.
I don't understand your post. If the powder coat holds heat in how does yours run cooler with a deep pan?

Either way, the powder coat is not a good insulation and the added area of the deep pan would probably have a bigger affect on cooling. Also, the extra volume would take longer to warm up so when you are done with whatever maneuvering you did to heat the oil up it may not have gotten as hot as the smaller volume would have.

The tranny heat exchanger is the real cooler. Without that there will be trouble on a hard pull. (don't ask me how I know)

John