3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Shoot me straight on Transmission pans...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot me straight on Transmission pans...

I have the truck in my sig. I just bought the juice with attitude for the truck, and I also just ordered a towing valvebody from hts trans. I figured while I was in there, I might as well put a transmission pan on the truck. I am looking at just the deep pan, as I don't tow that heavy..biggest load is 4000 lbs. For what I do, do I even need a bigger pan, would I see any benefits for daily driving. I will only be running the juice on levels 2-3 when I am empty, when I hook a trailer on it will be reset to stock, I don't wanna trash the tranny. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you don't really "need" a pan but they are nice and the extra fluid must help a bit. I got the deep one also and I like it. Quality piece, has a drain plug and a place for the temp sensor. You're in there anyway so do it.

John
Old 11-03-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with John. You don't "need" a larger pan. But it sure doesn't hurt to have it and can only help. You never know when the opportunity might arise that you have a need to pull a real load with the truck. For the money you are going to spend on a deep pan....may as well get a double deep.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Banned

I agree with both of them.You don't need one!
Old 11-03-2007, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the reply guys... I will just hold off until have i have to do a rebuild and will do it all at that point.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
more fluid = lower temps, lower temps = longer tranny life. I heard a long time ago that dropping the tranny temp 20* almost doubles the life of the tranny (also must service regularyly)
Old 11-03-2007, 03:52 PM

I've been told by several tranny guru's that once all the fluid heats up, a deep pan isn't going to make it any cooler. I could think of alot better ways to spend $250.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:59 PM

I say screw the pan, but while you have it off install a drain plug and bung for a temp sensor. IF you don't want to do this to the stock pan get a cheap aftermarket pan with these things already on there. You don't need the extra capacity of the more expensive pans.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:51 PM

I got a b&m from SUMMIT for 89.00 on there website.It has drain plug and a bung for your sending unit.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
I agree with John. You don't "need" a larger pan. But it sure doesn't hurt to have it and can only help. You never know when the opportunity might arise that you have a need to pull a real load with the truck. For the money you are going to spend on a deep pan....may as well get a double deep.

The truck will still pull a "real load" just fine with the stock pan.

Originally Posted by cbrahs
more fluid = lower temps, lower temps = longer tranny life. I heard a long time ago that dropping the tranny temp 20* almost doubles the life of the tranny (also must service regularyly)
It's been proven that lower temps do make the tranny last longer. The problem is a deeper pan won't reduce the temps enough to matter, if at all. Mine has a stock pan and runs at 150-160* while towing in 105* ambient temps at 75mph...and that's with around 500hp to the wheels. These temps are also taken directly from the hot line. It ain't gonna get much cooler than that no matter how deep the pan is.

Regarding the gauge temp sensor, that should be installed in the hot line for the most accurate readings.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by jrussell

It's been proven that lower temps do make the tranny last longer. The problem is a deeper pan won't reduce the temps enough to matter, if at all. Mine has a stock pan and runs at 150-160* while towing in 105* ambient temps at 75mph...and that's with around 500hp to the wheels. These temps are also taken directly from the hot line. It ain't gonna get much cooler than that no matter how deep the pan is.

Regarding the gauge temp sensor, that should be installed in the hot line for the most accurate readings.

X2!!! Get a rear diff cover instead. Although their tranny pans are nice, stock sounds cheaper to build. lol Its to easy to spend money on our trucks. Put the money where it counts or we will all go broke with every aftermarket part out there
Old 11-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell

X3 on this, I installed a PML pan that holds an extra 2 quarts and it did zero in helping reduce temps. But most tranny guys will tell you that the aftermarket pans do help with trans case deflection and distortion, but you have to be putting serious power to them for that to happen.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:54 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob C
X3 on this, I installed a PML pan that holds an extra 2 quarts and it did zero in helping reduce temps. But most tranny guys will tell you that the aftermarket pans do help with trans case deflection and distortion, but you have to be putting serious power to them for that to happen.
Yes... and there are a couple of other benefits too... like extra fluid. That extra fluid helps out IF you happen to spring a leak... one extra gallon before damage is done if you are not paying attention or checking levels often. The extra fluid gives you that much more time between necessary fluid changes too...
Old 11-05-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
Yes... and there are a couple of other benefits too... like extra fluid. That extra fluid helps out IF you happen to spring a leak... one extra gallon before damage is done if you are not paying attention or checking levels often. The extra fluid gives you that much more time between necessary fluid changes too...
How? Does the pick-up get extended down into the newer deeper pan? I haven't seen if they come with a new pickup or not.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by White97GTVert
How? Does the pick-up get extended down into the newer deeper pan? I haven't seen if they come with a new pickup or not.

Most have an extension to lower the filter.

Quick Reply: Shoot me straight on Transmission pans...