3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

shift kit and dtt shift enhancer ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shift kit and dtt shift enhancer ?'s

I have been reading past threads about shift kits and the dtt shift enhancer and was wondering if it will help my truck because I am not sure if my torque converter is weaker then normal. When i drive my truck and hit the throttle from a stop it seems like i have to give it alittle more gas then normal and just feels like the trans is a little sluggish i would say. It also does the "cant find a gear thing" in 2-3-2 and 1-2 sometimes especially when towing and my truck doesn't have that firm jerk shift it use to have when i first purchased it. I also feels like i loose some power in high rpm before a shift but i assume the torque converter was slipping. So i was gonna change out the fluid to amsoil or something before plow season and was wondering if a shift kit would def help with the sluggish feeling and more firm shifts and is it worth getting the dtt let me know your thoughts.

Also what is a good shift kit to get i here most people talking about transgo?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this your stock tranny you are referring to? How Many miles with the Edge Juice W/ Att.?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:39 AM

yeah stock trans, 10k miles or more with the edge highest level i ever go to is 3
Old 11-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Banned

Your symptoms are pretty typical and expected when running a stock trans with extra power. The lack of snap in the shifts is quite likely the clutches starting to slip in response to extra power and lack of apply pressure.

The feeling of power loss at high rpm's is normal. Either the TC just can't handle the power or the engine is defueling after over running the TC.

The 1-2 hunt is pretty normal due to the way the gov pressure is used but the 2-3 hunt is frequently accelerated wear on the front band and a needed adjustment. Most of the time the 2-3 hunt is a mechanical problem but it can be influence dby the gov solenoid and transducer.

The shift enhancers will not put the snap back into the shifts as they do not increase line pressure. The shift enhancer just increases gov pressure in realtion to the APPS position to get rid of the hunting and hold the gear longer when you need it.

The Transgo shift kit seems to be a good piece and has worked well for me, as does the DTT Shift enhancer. There are some simple internal pieces you can replace along with the VB that will help also. A better TC is always a plus and a billet input shaft will alleviate a lot of worries. All this can be done without breaking the bank and keep you relatively safe till you start getting over 600 HP.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Now should i try to get the band adjusted first before i buy a dtt? Also if i went to dodge and complained of this would they not warranty if they said i "had" a controller in there?

I am def gonna purchase the transgo kit from what i have read a lot of people are happy with the results. But i wanted to ask this before i do so, would it be better to get a whole modded valve body and how much would that cost?

In spring time next year if all goes well this winter i am planning on putting a good amount of money in the trans like a tc and some other stuff. I will make a thread then to show what my goals are and such so you guys can recommend what i should do. I want to do twins someday but i need to keep my truck a little more for work and towing at the same time.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by itr.#1446
Now should i try to get the band adjusted first before i buy a dtt? Also if i went to dodge and complained of this would they not warranty if they said i "had" a controller in there?
Yes, the shift enhancers won't work correctly if there is an adjustment problem. The factory setting is sometimes hit or miss so resetting it is a good idea.

Good luck on the dealer, that is hit or miss also. If you currently have no mods it may be worth a shot at having a dealer look at it. complain about the shuttle shifting and sloppy shifts and see if they will help you out.