3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

sending Smarty back to Bob..what download do i need for my 03??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well Bob is pretty busy with all the POD loads and TNTR loads. There are alot of ppl on the list for the TNTR.

Homewrecker summed it up nicely, couldn't have said it better. I do still run the 4.3, the truck runs just right, smooth idle, hardly any timing rattle, mileage is a respectable 19mpg and is better with the pressure added. The 4.4 was great for when I hauled more, now everything has slowed down. The 4.2 was a little too much for me, the smoke was too easy to make happen, it was unbearable in the cold weather (touchy throttle) but I did find sw3 of the 4.2 close to the sw5 of the 4.3. The 4.2 has more top end on my truck, as the 4.3 honestly packs its punch in the mid range, which I like because its in my main driving rpm range, the power is straightforward. I have no doubt its at 500hp, considering the OFE is showing me some signs that I'm pushing it a little too hard.

I like many others have had the supposed rail drain pop ( I don't believe this honestly) in the high rpms of the TNT. No matter what level, sw1 was just as terrible and I would hope sw1 would be sufficient for my truck, the 4.2 works like a dream. The revo brought me back down to the 4.11 standards, decent high end, but just wasn't enough to spool my turbo to my likings, towing wasn't pleasant, I guess I was used to the 4.xs touchy throttle I found I didnt like having to push the pedal so much to get it to move. Maybe when Bob and Marco resolve some issues I will try it again, but I would have to hope that they could make the levels produce more low end like the betas. JMHO.

I have a good reason to favor the betas...

As far as power levels go the 4.2 is capable of 200+ depending on mods. It is a very close contender with the TNT and the TNT-R. It's power delivery is quite different than the TNT, more aggressive ramp up and high rps, its a race tune, for that very purpose, and it was the spotlight for a long time. IMO its what started the whole revolution, it was the program that pushed the envelope to what we now know as the TNTR. I won't deny the TNTR can and will put out more power, but its not gonna be a large margin until you get way up in hp numbers. Do yourself a favor and try both, and judge by what you like. Since my truck didn't run right with the TNT, I can't say its unworthy of what its become. I really haven't been able to see its potential yet.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:52 AM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I consider my truck to be lightly modded, and on lightly modded 03-04s the 4.3 and the 4.2 are the best tunes for all out power(if your stacking). Maybe some day Marco/Bob will change that, but for now, that's the way it is. The TNT is not as strong as the 4.2 and yes the TNTR is stronger than the 4.2 on most 04.5+ models. Only certain 03-04 trucks w/alot of heavy mods will the TNTR out perform the betas. This is a bad subject in my little mind as I'm needing another Smarty to have access to all my old betas. I'm tired of waiting for an 03-04 friendly TNTR tune.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To all waiting for something from Bob,all I can say is be patient.If you are the type that has no patience then it would be best you don't ask for something.I have gotten tunes in less than a day and I have waited a couple months for tunes also.It really just depends on what is on his plate at the time you contact him.Keep in mind Bob is busier than ever with the Pod and all the upgrades he is personally having to do,and I know alot of testing has been going on to refine the TNT tunes so that it will work for all year models equally.

As for downloading Smarty tunes,go to MADS website and click on downloads and follow the directions.It was very complicated to me being I am borderline computer illiterate.If you run into any snags do a search on here.It has been discussed a thousand times.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by DUKCALN
Stay with the TNT. I have the betas from Bob and so want to try the 4.2. However I am having some really good luck with the TNT. Eventually i will try 4.2, from what i here it really works super on the 03 trucks.
so which one shall i do the TNT or the Beta 4.2???
Old 12-19-2008, 10:54 AM

Well for now the TNT is available on download.Try it out.Ask Bob for the other tunes to have if you decide you want to try them.Keep in mind the 4.2 has constant elevated RP incorporated.Its not as pronounced as on an 04.5 and newer but its still there.I don't like to run high RP for daily driving.Its great for play or a little extra towing.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
To all waiting for something from Bob,all I can say is be patient.If you are the type that has no patience then it would be best you don't ask for something.I have gotten tunes in less than a day and I have waited a couple months for tunes also.It really just depends on what is on his plate at the time you contact him.Keep in mind Bob is busier than ever with the Pod and all the upgrades he is personally having to do,and I know alot of testing has been going on to refine the TNT tunes so that it will work for all year models equally.

As for downloading Smarty tunes,go to MADS website and click on downloads and follow the directions.It was very complicated to me being I am borderline computer illiterate.If you run into any snags do a search on here.It has been discussed a thousand times.
If a person who's working the counter (so to speak) has alot of customers, why not get some help (open another line) to get the line down?? Taking months to get a tune, is the tune being custom made for each truck/person??
Old 12-19-2008, 11:59 AM

Wellguys, as you know I had the same issues with the TNT with my 03. Rail Pop (?) timing rattle. However, when I swithched to the II STAGE 2 cp-3 my issues went away. I can now run the TNT sw in all levels. I did see a member (5.9 2007, Hey Les) dyno TNT vs. Beta 4.2 vs. TNT/R. I believe the results where a few hp difference and the ordr was most hp to least was TNT/R-4.2-TNT. I so badley want to try the 4.2 and 4.3 for my 03 because I have heard time and time again it works fantastic on the 03-04 trucks. I am scared to because I finally have my truck running pretty good and just don't want to screw that up. Bob sent me the beta 4.2 and 4.3. but I have yet to try. As everyday passes I get closer and closer to trying the 4.2. Whats the correct sw ID# for the 4.3 for an 03 truck?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by mpracehemi
If a person who's working the counter (so to speak) has alot of customers, why not get some help (open another line) to get the line down?? Taking months to get a tune, is the tune being custom made for each truck/person??
I don't know why he doesn't get help,maybe there are only a few times a year he is swamped and can't keep up?Calling him direct is the best way to get him.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:02 PM

Id go with a 4.2 or 4.3 like TCR said. I went with Mr. TCR's advice and now Im all about it!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Stay with the TNT. I have the betas from Bob and so want to try the 4.2. However I am having some really good luck with the TNT. Eventually i will try 4.2, from what i here it really works super on the 03 trucks.
The 4.2 on my truck produced quite a bit more smoke than the TNT, along with high egt's (1500+). It did not seem as strong, nor as smooth as the TNT, it is much more violent/short power curve?

However the 4.2 / 4.3 do not pop/jerk like the TNT does sometimes, also the betas have no options, other than what sw# you want to run.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:33 PM

Wellguys, as you know I had the same issues with the TNT with my 03. Rail Pop (?) timing rattle. However, when I swithched to the II STAGE 2 cp-3 my issues went away. I can now run the TNT sw in all levels. I did see a member (5.9 2007, Hey Les) dyno TNT vs. Beta 4.2 vs. TNT/R. I believe the results where a few hp difference and the ordr was most hp to least was TNT/R-4.2-TNT. I so badley want to try the 4.2 and 4.3 for my 03 because I have heard time and time again it works fantastic on the 03-04 trucks. I am scared to because I finally have my truck running pretty good and just don't want to screw that up. Bob sent me the beta 4.2 and 4.3. but I have yet to try. As everyday passes I get closer and closer to trying the 4.2. Whats the correct sw ID# for the 4.3 for an 03 truck?
can you get the adjust options settings on the smarty if you run the Beta 4.2 or 4.3??or is that a dumb question
Old 12-19-2008, 05:05 PM

Nope, no adjustments other that the sw# with the betas.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
If it were me I would be getting the beta 4.2, but that's just me. I'm still supporting the betas on the 03-04 trucks....
I WOULD GET THE BETAS BUT YOU DONT HAVE ADJUST OPTIONS DO YOU??
Old 12-19-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mpracehemi
How long does it really take for Mr. Bob to get to a person?? How does it work, does he send it via email or ..........?? I'm just asking, curious...but the waiting game doesn't go well with me, I not a patient person unless the retailer/person tells me a time frame I can expect the product/info.

Sorry for hy-jacking......................
You're better off calling him or get a nerd to do it for you. I sent it up to him and he priority mail's it back. One day turnaround. My local nerd was on vacation.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:22 PM

My wife handles mine. Its rather easy. As for the different tunes, ie. Revo standard, TNT, TNT/R and betas, you just need to play with each and settle on the one that works the best for your particular truck.

Quick Reply: sending Smarty back to Bob..what download do i need for my 03??