3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Scotty Air VS AFE Progaurd 7

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotty Air VS AFE Progaurd 7

What is your recommendation and why? I'm about to to order one of these and can't seem to make up my mind.Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks Wayne
Old 03-08-2005, 07:40 PM

Can't speak to the AFE, but the Scotty is a very good unit.
I installed mine about 45 days ago and am very pleased with the results. Mileage is up .5-1 mpg and turbolag was reduced a lot.
I have just installed an aero turbine and the combination has increased mileage and performance, even when towing.
I have only been around diesels about a year, but have been hotrodding sports cars over 30 years and the Scotty III is a well made and functional air cleaner.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:06 PM

I just installed the scotty ram air III on mine. I chose it over the proguard 7 setup. One being it is around a hundred dollars cheaper and in my opinion it flows a lot more air than the proguard 7. The unifilter setup in the scotty is a really good system and filter. I ordered mine here off of dieseltruckresource. I had the proguard 7 setup on my 03' truck, it is a nice setup but I like the scotty better. One thing I like about the scotty is that it is not wide open, it has its own enclosure system, plus it has two openings for air flow, one being in the front of the truck to collect air.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:15 PM

Re: Scotty Air VS AFE Progaurd 7

Originally posted by gichugoat
What is your recommendation and why? I'm about to to order one of these and can't seem to make up my mind.Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks Wayne
I just had the afe stage 2 (proguard 7) installed last week.Very happy so far.A little more turbo whistle.Good quality setup.coobie
Old 03-08-2005, 11:23 PM

I've got the AFE PG7 with tube...I chose it due to the (at the time) superior filtration and flow specs posted around here (and Geno's) about a year ago...Dunno' if it's all hype or not...Don't really care because there are no 'fines' in/around my torque tube, and I've run it now for 15k...She needs a cleaning now, but my filter minder is still at the top (not that it would drop with the flow numbers it produces anyway).

I doubt you'll go wrong either way, but do you homework and choose what you want and go with that...Even if it means a couple of extra $, you'll be happy in the long run.

--Doug
Old 03-09-2005, 01:15 PM

Scotty's....

After the firts clean and reoil, I was never able to make the AFE work as good again.

The Ram Air is much easier to maintain, stays cleaner dues to its design, IMHO flows better, etc.

Cheaper too!
Old 03-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Muted User

Well, I made my vote for the Scotty's today. Ordered it from Diesel Power Products (www.dieselpowerproducts.com). Should be here in about a week.

I wasn't swayed by price (or not as much as others), my main concern was increased air flow AND filtration. I filtered all the intakes down to these two products. In the end Scotty's won out. Based on repoerts, I felt the Scotty's would be easier to maintain (ie clean/oil) over the AFE, and offered incread filtration. I don't see AFE posting on these boards like Scotty does, so that told me he has a vested interest in making sure his product performs by those who buy it.

I am trying to be realistic at what I will get, but my main needs are faster turbo spool. I'd like to get that boost built up a little quicker. I don't have grand visions of 5+ mpg or 10 more hp like many do when they buy a new intake. I wil probably adding a chip to my truck soon, so more air may help me keep the EGT down somewhat.

David
Old 03-10-2005, 04:44 PM

You wont regret your decision :?)
Old 03-10-2005, 04:49 PM

I want to thank everyone for their comments on this subject. I spoke to Dave Mahene over at DPP today. He was very informative about the Scotty system. As a matter of fact, we also discussed the Aero Turbin exhaust system kit he sells. I had alot of questions and he answered eveyone with alot of good information. My mind is made up to purchase the Scotty system. I'll also be ordering the Aero Turbin exhaust system too. Thanks goes out to you too dave, for taking the time to answer all my questions.
Wayne
Old 03-10-2005, 04:49 PM

How often do you have to change the scotty filters? Also does the Scotty make the engine louder? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:04 PM

dont have to change filter, it is a reusable uni oiled foam filter with a prefilter-
have not cleaned mine as of yet but, at oil change I will check the prefilter-
mine doesnt really make the engine any louder, turbo sound level is about same but, spools up quicker
Old 03-10-2005, 05:24 PM

15k interval for me.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The scotty rules, you will enjoy it.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:16 AM

Does anybody have the actual flow rates for the Scotty III?

TIA
Old 03-11-2005, 10:30 AM

I use the AFE and like it alot.

Quick Reply: Scotty Air VS AFE Progaurd 7