3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Scotty 5 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scotty 5 Questions

First of all I'm sorry if this is a repost, I did a search and could not find exactly what I was looking for. I've been thinking about getting the scotty for my new truck (tax return ) The thing that concerns me the most is that it is an oiled filter. The dealership chewed on me about a K&N drop in that was in my 01 (came in the truck) does the dealerships have a problem with the system? Will the scotty do anything to the warranty? Also I do a lot of mountain riding with my horses and I'm worried about dust because I drive down a lot of dirt roads and it gets really dusty. I'd appreciate any advise you have about this.

Thanks
Dave
Old 02-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Banned

Tell the dealer to stick it. I've been running the scotty 2 for almost 3 years now and I haven't had a single problem with oil. And I've got the old school non foam filter on mine. The dealer is probably gonna void your warranty if you do anything to your truck if they griped at you about the k&n. I say run the filter and tell them to prove that it did anything. It's called the Magnunson Moss act and if they complain about the intake tell them about that law and see what they say.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:39 PM

I have the Scotty III. I liked it but I kept finding oil inside of the air tube. This I didn't like. I have the AEM Dryflow which is a dry reusable filter sytem. This link has the lowest price but it service is very hit or miss.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/dodgecaem.htm
Old 02-28-2006, 06:52 PM

I just reinstalled the Scotty III to test it against my AEM. Already did the same against the BHAF. By the way does anyone one know the difference the Scotty 5 and the Scotty III. Thery appear to be the same?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Banned

The scotty 5 I believe has a bigger hole in the front than the scotty 3 because of some design change on the truck or something like that.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by NB64
I have the Scotty III. I liked it but I kept finding oil inside of the air tube. This I didn't like. I have the AEM Dryflow which is a dry reusable filter sytem. This link has the lowest price but it service is very hit or miss.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/dodgecaem.htm

Your not supposed to completely saturate the filter with oil just coat it.

I have been running cotten gauze filters for 5 years and have yet to find any sort of oil or dust buildup inside the intake tube

JMO
Jake
Old 03-01-2006, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the info. Can I order the scotty 5 through DTR all I see in the online store are the scotty II and III.

Dave

Never Mind its there (oops)
Old 03-01-2006, 01:40 PM

Also I do a lot of mountain riding with my horses and I'm worried about dust because I drive down a lot of dirt roads and it gets really dusty.
Shouldn't be a problem since foam UNI filters are pretty popular on dirt bikes.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:26 PM

I'm convinced

All right you've convinced me (took a lot of arm twisting didn't it )
just gotta wait for the ole tax return.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:55 PM

Actually I've been using oil filters (K&N)for over ten years in my gas vehicles(2). I to never had this problem. It probably has something to do with the amount of oil soaking through . Its hard to tell with a red gauze pad and red oil. It got into the tube straight from the box. I then cleaned and reoiled and got the same. Not much but a film around the bottom lip of the stock silencer tube. I just reinstalled it after having it sitting for several months. I cleaned the tube prior to reinstalling it. So far it seems to be the same performance and gauge readings as the AEM. It is sooo much quieter. I didn't realize how much I missed that. The Aem has a lot of rushing air sound. I was thinking about wrapping it with the muffler wrap.