3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Safest power box

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safest power box

Ive been on this site for a little while but have never really looked at the 3rd gen pages. I will be picking up my new 3500 dually ho 6 speed on monday. I want to add a little power but nothing crazy now. What is the safest box to run for the engin and clutch/trans. Also are there any problems areas that I need to watch. Also I will be putting the gauges off my old truck, what kinds of pressures and temps should I see. And lastly will my max flow kit work on the new truck. Thanks a bunch. Joel
Old 03-28-2005, 07:43 PM

eliminator from sp diesel . com
Old 03-28-2005, 07:57 PM

OldSmokey - The Edge EZ would fall into the tried & true but nothing crazy category. Now that my tranny is built I'll be selling mine & moving up to either a race quad or TST. Let me know if you're interested in the EZ.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oldsmokey go for the standard or race quadzilla xzillaraider box. Very safe and you can adjust the levels on the fly, unlike the EZ. Also the xzillaraider uses timing, pressure, and duration in moderation, unlike the high pressures the EZ puts out if you want 60+ hp.. The install is about 15 minutes, egt's are also low.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for the Edge EZ. I don't even have gauges and I'm not the least bit worried about it. It gives definite improvement without a high risk of damage.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:42 AM

I like my Edge Juice /w Attitude. I use the built in gauges. This is a plug and play system takes about 10-minutes to install/remove except the EGT Sensor. Add about 10-minutes more to install it (most of the time spent searching for the drill bit and tap.)
If you hook up to a trailer often the new Edge A2 mught be nice as it has a backup camera, and GPS navigation system, but the monitor is huge.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:53 AM

I'd go for Quad's Xzillaraider. Easy install, very stealthy, and in cab adjustability so you can dial-up how much power you want at the moment. Plus the price is right.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:37 PM

OldSmokey,

I have the Ramifier which is in cab adjustable, which means you can run it on stock most of the time and turn the dial up for power when you want to get up and go,....I do love it and would recommend it BUT........I have been thinking about getting the new Quadzilla Xzillaraider because it seems to be exactly what I want and I would definately think about that one if you are looking to get one. (just got to find a way to not let my wife find out cause she would hit the roof )
Good luck and let us know what you get and how you like it
Old 03-29-2005, 09:10 PM

The only one I have any experience with is the Ramifier. Here is what I know: I love having the ability to instantly adjust it to any level I want, and the power is great. While I own a race shop, I have no way to dyno my truck, but I can believe anything up to 250 additional lb. ft. EGTs do go up, but I have to think that is common. Lifting slightly or dialing back on the steepest slopes solves the problem, and I can tell you this: While towing up the mountain from Phoenix to Flagstaff, a PSD with about a million candlepower (aimed high) got on me. matting it at 75 was not leaving him, but when I twisted the "Magic ****" all the way, I wasted the PSD so bad he wouldn't even approach even when I backed way off. Remember...I was towing a trailer with a race car. Big Fun!
Here is what may be the most important point: For some reason when I programmed in a couple of new security keys, it seemed to jack with the box. I got support within a few seconds, sent the box back, and withing a few days received a new box, harness, etc.....No Charge! I'm impressed!!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:18 PM

does the Quad's Xzillaraider give any smoke? how has it been holding up with everyones 48re tranny?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:51 PM

Ive been wondering the same thing as HorseHauler. What about the xzillaraider and the 48re? They seem to be holding up fairly well to mild boxes but how bout the new quad?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Hoss
Another vote for the Edge EZ. I don't even have gauges and I'm not the least bit worried about it. It gives definite improvement without a high risk of damage.
Hoss, not to question a veteran like yourself, but what levels to run your EZ at? 4 or 5 unloaded will get your into the danger zone very quickly and 3 while towing is trouble too. Food for thought.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:09 PM

they give a small to mild puff of smoke when the turbo starts winding the higher the # the more puff. mine has a 6 speed . if you lug if starting it does better
Old 03-30-2005, 05:16 AM

Now with this new found mystery of pressure boxes hurting injectors that i didn't know about, i am back to square one on what box to get!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HorseHauler
does the Quad's Xzillaraider give any smoke? how has it been holding up with everyones 48re tranny?
I have been driving daily on the 60hp setting and cranking it to 100hp setting for playing. The 48re so far hasn't skipped a beat in the 4k miles I've put on the box. It's a very efficient burning box - I really can't get much smoke at all. I've heard on the 600's though they can get some on the higher settings. On 100hp WOT I can only see smoke if it's at night and there are headlights in the lane next to me... I haven't tried the 140hp setting yet for fear of my little turbo and stock trans..

Hoss- running that EZ without gauges? You should know better!

I think the EZ was good when it came out, because it was the first. However these days I think it's been passed up by far with better options. Most folks would rather have a module that MILDLY modifies multiple areas (duration,pressure,timing) compared to one that gets all of it's power from one avenue - like the EZ (pressure). I've also heard many reports of a loping idle with the EZ in cold weather. Oh well, just my .02.

Quick Reply: Safest power box