3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Running Truck to EASY!!!!!! A little long

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Truck to EASY!!!!!! A little long

Well I thought another injector was going south, They pulled the whole bank out ran the test and no leakers. Oil level was on the rise and pressure was also, they ran the diagnostic report on the truck and stated I run the truck to easy. 63% was at less than 1/4 throttle and 32% was at 1/2 throttle and the rest fell into 3/4 or 100% full throttle. More or less told me I baby the truck to much. I was getting a little cylender wash from not running hard enough. Hence the rise of oil in the truck. He is a good freind who knows I have some mods but knows I take care of my truck and always honors anything I bring in under warrenty. He has been with the dealer for 18 years.
He states that on the newer diesel we need to excersize them a little, I told him you pay for every other tank fill and I will do that otherwise I am going to get every MPG I can. He said he will keep doing oil changes and check for leaks for free as long as I am under warrenty but, I will be hurting the longevety of the truck. This is the third time I have the truck down for injectors I am 1 for three, the last 2 same thing no leaks.(oil has been high and Oil pressure high on the last 2)
Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Does your oil smell like diesel? Have you done an oil analysis? I am courious because I have been driving mine the same for the last 3-4 months. I jump on it once and a while but really drive for absolute best MPG now.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 PM

fuel dillution would cause low oil pressure in most cases. If the level is high and smells like fuel, then theres definitely dillution.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 PM

Did not have the deiesel smell like when the injector went, but was not the normal smell. I have never done a analysis, I change every 3-3500 hundred miles or at least 1 every 4 months wich ever comes first. I have really been running it like a baby the last 4 months or so. the Dipstick was showing verry litle increase and just had oil change 1 month ago. The last month I would creep into it and never went hard on throtle at all. It has gone from just a hair over full mark to pass the letters on dipstick.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Banned

Baby the truck too much?
Thats the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long time.
Sounds like another excuse to cover up a dealer-induced problem or factory defect.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:04 AM

Kinda seems to me babying it will cost ya more money in the long run...
Good luck,
Topper
Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by RollOver Pete
Baby the truck too much?
Thats the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long time.
Sounds like another excuse to cover up a dealer-induced problem or factory defect.

I was told directly by a Cummins Engineer that these engines do need a little exercise....In fact he said they will not last as long as they should if they are just your daily driver. If you are unloaded you should be stretching its legs every once in a while.....otherwise load it up and let her pull
Old 03-18-2008, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know when I worked for CAT in the power generation field we had several gensets that would run weekly under no load for a year and then yearly service would come due and the motor would be running rough,wet stacking,leaking oil and so on.
We would bring in a load bank(basically a dyno for gens)and run the gen at 100% for a minimum of 4hrs.This would clear up all the problems most of the time.
So I believe that diesels in general need to be worked.They were designed that way.I try to tow with mine at least once a month.Get it out on the open road and keep the egt's up to clean things up.My 2 01 3500's have 170k + miles and they go down the road everyday at 19k lbs for almoast every mile on them.The trucks run as good today as they did new.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Banned

just grandpa driving won't do well over time with mileage either. Run it out real good for a couple tanks, then take it easy again. Your mpgs just might pleasantly surprise you!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is exactly why everyone should run down to their local truck pull and hook up to the sled...

Old 03-18-2008, 04:09 PM

I agree with giving the engine a hard run, occasionally. Hitched up to a load would be even better.

I have an '03, HO that was having injector knocking problems. One injector sounded like it came out of my '91.5 W-250. Took it to the dealer, numerous times, & they said there was nothing DC would let them do to the injectors. It passed according to DC's "tests", which, have to be flunked before DC would replace the injectors. I even had the service mgr. & service writer acknowledge the fact that there was a "knock". Also, called DC to start a complaint about the problem not being fixed.

Fortunately, I read of a member of one of the diesel websites that had the same problem & took it to Industrial Injection. They removed the injectors & the tips were loaded with carbon from not being used hard enough to burn off the carbon. The carbon disturbs the spray pattern that is needed for a proper combustion event to occur.

After reading this thread, I started using a fuel conditioner (additive) & not much happened. Then, I hitched up my 25' travel trailer & drove to Palmdale, CA. for the diesel drags. The last 50, or so, miles were on a two lane road with lots of hills. I was starting to create a bit of a traffic jam behind me so I started running it a lot harder to stay well over the speed limit so that those behind me would not have to pass me on the two lane road. By the time I got to the races, I rolled down the window & noticed that the knock was completely gone.

I drive the truck a little harder, now, & do not have the problem nearly as much. About once a year, the knock will start to raise its ugly head & I just run it through the gears. Run each gear to redline & it cleans the injector tips right up. So far, it's worked every time.

My experience made a believer of me regarding the need to run these engines harder than you would expect.

Hope this helps.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 03-21-2008, 07:43 PM

I baby my truck & have never had a problem. I`m not saying that it will hurt a diesel to work it hard, but if you get the truck up to hy. speeds everyday why would running it hard help it? I`ve had & have many diesels & don`t understand this logic. Can someone explain to me ?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just the contrary- it will not hurt (cummins) it to work it hard. but it may hurt the engine down the road if it has never been worked. these are medium duty diesel engines. they are built to operate under full load all the day long
Old 03-21-2008, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is exactly why I have never babied my truck and never plan on it. True I ususally only drive it on the weekends but I always try to get out and open it up for a little while. I also try to tow with it every opportunity I get to keep it cleaned up internally. I think that the best way to maintain these trucks is to work them, not baby them. I also think that I get better MPG when I play vs babying. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Running Truck to EASY!!!!!! A little long