3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Running a separate air hose off of a BD brake compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Running a separate air hose off of a BD brake compressor?

I put a BD exhaust brake on my truck recently.
Since I was in a time crunch and out of town, I had a shop do it, so I saw nothing of the install. All I know is the compressor is tucked up in the passenger fenderwell somewhere!

I didnt see any instruction on BD's brake install for adding a supplemental air line from the compressor, but would like to add one. I realize the duty cycle on htese compressors is not that great. It would be used mainly for adjusting my air bags if necessary while on the road and if the situation arose, possibly filling up a tire, but that would be a last resort, sounds like an early death for the compressor filling big tires.

Has anyone added an air line connection to these?
If so, how hard is it to get to the port on the comp to install it?
I figure I could follow the wiring diagram and install a simple switch to control it.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have added one, it is easier than you think. the feed line from the compressor runs to the regulator, here is where you place the connector. the slightly tricky part is the switch needed to turn on the compressor depending on your skills. pin 42 from the ecm completes a ground to activate the brake. the 42 pin is connected to the pressure switch and to the air solenoid, we only want to activate the compressor. I add a diode in series with the wire connected to the pressure switch and add a diode to my switch. you can do the same with a single pole double throw switch. connect the pressure switch wire to the center post, the pin 42 wire to one side and ground to the other. pm me if you need verbal help

Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks carl for the explanantion. Yes easier than digging in behind the battery.
Seems fairly straightforward to wire up.
Question though, connecting through the pressure switch would limit the output pressure of the compressor to the pressure set for brake activation, correct (60-65 psi)?

Or am I off base here?

On the same note, wouldn't just activating the exh brake at idle work as well? The brake would be ineffective becasue the air line would take away the holding pressure from the brake, but the compressor would run to "air up" the brake cylinder thus providing air through the port (up to the pressure cutoff).
Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile BD Compressor

I have done a slightly difference setup than carl48. I placed a quarter turn globe shutoff valve downstream from the pneumatic quick connect and upstream from the exhaust brake. Activate your exhaust brake, I have a push/pull switch on my manual transmission shifter, and 'voila' you will have a air compressor that will not activate the exhaust brake when filling up various air accessories. Configuring this way you will not require the additional toggle switch & diode. Don't forget to open the valve once you are finished otherwise you may be traveling down a steep downgrade with a heavy load without the assistance of your exhaust brake.

You can adjust the regulator easily for higher or lower pressure as desired. Nick the adjustment **** at 12 o'clock with the regulator **** at the set pressure for the exhaust brake. Count the turns that you rotate the regulator ****; then it is just a matter of returning **** back to the original position when you are finished.

I installed an air pressure gauge in the airline with a Tee. You can set the regulator to the desired pressure you want, then reset to the pressure used to activate the exhaust brake. Really handy to re-inflate tires. Exercise caution as you mentioned these air compressors are not high duty cycle units.

I use two ISSPRO gauges; one for air compressor R14266 - AIR PRESSURE 0 -180 psi & one for exhaust brake pressure R14122 EXHAUST BACK PRESSURE 0 - 60 psi. At night these gauges match the Dodge instrument appearance and lighting color.

Engineers - we like instrumentation.

L8r,...........dogger

Last edited by dogger; 06-20-2013 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Add signature
Old 06-23-2016, 11:59 PM

Ha, I just looked up this thread cause I never did this, but will need air on this trip for the airbags.
I did just like dogger said, with a 1/4" brass compression tee to 1/4" npt. Valve and air line plumbed to the nipple on the tee.
Works great and was easy to do. Can put 40psi in each air bag in about 15 sec each.
Just turn the air valve on, flip the switch for the exh brake and got air.
What is the duty cycle on these compressors? And how long issafe to run at a time?