3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Running Bully Dog on "Performance" setting 24/7 - ok for stock truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Bully Dog on "Performance" setting 24/7 - ok for stock truck?

This is my first post here, so bear with me...

What problems (if any) would someone be looking at if they ran a Bully Dog Power Pup on the "Performance" setting all the time? Does this setting do anything to increase rail pressure or tranny line pressure?

Only mods to the truck is a muffler delete. Everything else is stock.

This would be with NO trailer. Stock tires on it now, 295/70's will be going on soon.

Thanks,
-Banning.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:48 PM

i run mine on crazy larry 24/7 and clutch is gone, ive heard u can run into problems with autos.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:08 PM

Im sure some will say not too, but I do it all the time on mine with 35's. Only time I take it out of performance is to tow. I have put 7,000 miles on it like this, but I drive it easily most of the time other than the occassional punch of the throttle to pass someone, merge, etc. so I think you will be ok. I just try to take it easy when the TC locks up.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:09 PM

Bully dog 24/7

Originally Posted by J Banning

What problems (if any) would someone be looking at if they ran a Bully Dog Power Pup on the "Performance" setting all the time? Does this setting do anything to increase rail pressure or tranny line pressure?

This would be with NO trailer. Stock tires on it now, 295/70's will be going on soon.

Thanks,
-Banning.
I absolutely promise you NO FRICKING WAY!!! Now to qualify myself,...if you do NOT power boost the truck on takeoffs and if you do not stay in it going from 3rd to od then you will last MUCH longer. If you have tried it with powering through all gears and you did go through 3rd into od and kept your foot to the floor,....that slight delay you felt would be two things,...your ecm defueling trying in vain to save your 48re and also your od clutches being fried. The od clutches are literally like paper and will hold up to maybe a dozen or so runs before being toast. After that you will have taken them out and you will have less and less performance and more and more slipage until you tear the thing down and have it built right. That's the bad news. The good news is the darn thing wasn't strong enough to begin with and should be totally rebuilt with bionic parts that are available especially from the big three and then you get about 50hp more to the ground and you will be able to handle the fricking Bullydog box on the top cog without worry except for maybe egts. That's another story. Hope this helps you. Pat
Old 04-18-2006, 09:17 PM

I run crazy larry on my 06,stock other than the triple dog,cone filter,and exhaust,fuel mileage is better the more you turn it up.Im getting around 18 now.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:26 PM

that the way i run mine 24/7. Put it to the floor every day all day.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that any increase in power is a decrease in life. That being said, the Triple Dog in Performance or Extreme modes use both injection pulse, duration, and timing advance on those settings. Additionally, at rpms above 2700, you WILL have a rail pressure increase. YOU NEED GAUGES!!! I agree that running on the higher power settings seems to work all the time(almost 20,000 miles for me, so far) Did it cause my lift pump failure..........?!?!? The dealer fixed it under warranty with the Outlook Monitor installed and working. I might be lucky, who knows? Caveat! If you install any programmer, you are taking a gamble on failures in tranny, injectors, fuel system, turbo, or even catastrophic engine damage. Knowing all this, I decided to risk it!
Cheers
Mike
###

Thanks,
-Banning.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:22 PM

I run extreme all the time on my 2003. I believe it's probably a little weaker than the tune for the 2004.5+ engines, but I have never been able to slip my clutch towing or otherwise. Towing ~4000 lbs (yeah it's not much) wouldn't even get it to 1200 degrees matted. Before I had the BDDL I ran an EZ on level 4 24/7. towing 9000lbs I could get it to 1200 but no higher.

Andy
Old 04-19-2006, 10:44 AM

Mine stays in the Performance setting. I tow about 8,000 lbs regularly with no problems. I will be towing my 10,000 lbs 5'r this weekend and will probably use the tow setting because I will be going thru the Smoky Mountains in Tn. Other than that it stays in Performance.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys,

** Just to clarrify, I am not running the Tripple Dog... just a Power Pup. **

I really wasn't expecting the largely unanimous "no" to my question. I *thought* I'd be ok running the truck in the "Performance" mode for daily driving (no trailer). Now I'm bummed out. I liked the increase in fuel mileage, and also a nice increase in power for passing on the highway (with converter locked). Doesn't the chip do anything to increase tranny line pressure or anything else to aid in shifting??

Am I to assume the same "no" for running in the "Two/Haul" mode???

P.S. Going into the tranny to install upgraded parts is out of the question at this time. It's my daily driver and it is almost new.

-Banning.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:39 AM

Can someone please explain how the Power Pup makes its power in each of the 3 settings (Tow, Performance, Extreme)?

Thanks,
-Banning.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:26 PM

Can someone please explain how the Power Pup makes its power in each of the 3 settings (Tow, Performance, Extreme)?

Thanks,
-Banning.
Pretty much like the Tripple, but a little more extreme on the bottom end.

That being said, you could run an extra 200hp and the tranny not get hurt, IF you stayed out of the throttle. It is nice to have that little extra pep, and it is fine for your transmission, if you can drive semi-normal. Most people that get these upgrades have no self control and go "***** to the wall" as often as they can.
But the tranny is the weak link and it will not take continual abuse and especially hard launches.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:09 PM

i ran extreme on my 04.5 24/7
Old 04-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Chapter President

J Banning

You can run it on performance all day long. As stated before though, GET THE GAUGES FIRST cause things do get hot somewhat quickly.

I run my Power Pup on performance about 95% of the time (empty and towing my 10,000lb 5th wheel) and have no issues what so ever. The EGT's do climb up there a little but I have never exceeded 1200 degrees while towing.

HUMP
Old 04-19-2006, 05:45 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys,

** Just to clarrify, I am not running the Tripple Dog... just a Power Pup. **

I really wasn't expecting the largely unanimous "no" to my question. I *thought* I'd be ok running the truck in the "Performance" mode for daily driving (no trailer). Now I'm bummed out. I liked the increase in fuel mileage, and also a nice increase in power for passing on the highway (with converter locked). Doesn't the chip do anything to increase tranny line pressure or anything else to aid in shifting??

Am I to assume the same "no" for running in the "Two/Haul" mode???

P.S. Going into the tranny to install upgraded parts is out of the question at this time. It's my daily driver and it is almost new.

-Banning.
I have run the the power pup in performance mode for about 6-8 months.I do have the outlook moniter and turn it down to the 50% for daily driving though.No codes and no problems thus far.coobie

Quick Reply: Running Bully Dog on "Performance" setting 24/7 - ok for stock truck?