3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Rize Industries Announced their new Dodge lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEN3TRQMONSTER
With all this suspension talk what do yall think of this set up
http://spirsonoffroad.com/

It's interesting and looks like it will work well. I just don't see the benefit of switching to a coilover setup. Coilovers are much more expensive than a separate spring and shock. And if you blow a mount with coilovers you're dead in the water. The arms also look a little short for such a tall lift.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
It's interesting and looks like it will work well. I just don't see the benefit of switching to a coilover setup. Coilovers are much more expensive than a separate spring and shock. And if you blow a mount with coilovers you're dead in the water. The arms also look a little short for such a tall lift.

On a DD, as I have done my homework, are not that beneficial, especially with cost being involved. Now, on a dedicated off road rig, that you want/need the best, a coil over is going to provide it. Yes, typcially with more lift you want your arms to be longer. With more lift, you get more seperation, and with the shorter arms that can be a problem. They probaly used the short arm because of the stock location (at least in the pics in looks like they used the stock bracket location) I am getting ready to link my truck, and I am going to shoot for the 30-36" range for my links. I am also going to use stock coils and drop the stock upper coil bucket down 3-4", which will put me @ 3-4" of lift over stock, and since I am using stock coils, should give me stock ride
Old 09-17-2007, 04:44 PM

The drop brackets negate some of the need for londer arms...

The geometry of those arms look VERY similar to a stock truck.

It would not be my style...but I bet it works fine.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
i can bend springs in half and then throw them over a mountain. maybe youll need to eat some wheaties

alli gator

slap some tow mirrors on there for your brother too!

brett
That was the first thing I said to him, and he said, he hates the tow mirrors, that's why he bought this truck. I wouldn't have one without the tow mirrors. Oh well, to each his own...
Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
i can bend springs in half and then throw them over a mountain. maybe youll need to eat some wheaties

brett
Brett you are starting to remind me of "uncle Rico"
"How much you wanna make a bet I can throw this football over them mountains"
Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by SSminnow
I am getting ready to link my truck, and I am going to shoot for the 30-36" range for my links. I am also going to use stock coils and drop the stock upper coil bucket down 3-4", which will put me @ 3-4" of lift over stock, and since I am using stock coils, should give me stock ride
Why not spec a spring rate for a custom coil? Seems to be a lot less hassle than cutting the coil bucket.....and I'd suggest going longer on your links, my lower is 42" long.

You can spec a +4" coil with the spring rate of your choice for less than $400....

Then with the right shocks, you can have a better than stock ride
Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cowhand

You can spec a +4" coil with the spring rate of your choice for less than $400....

My coil spring was free (well, almost)
Old 09-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
Brett you are starting to remind me of "uncle Rico"
"How much you wanna make a bet I can throw this football over them mountains"
haha i love it! uncle rico rocks...i was wondering if anyone would catch that

brett
Old 09-18-2007, 12:17 AM

My coil spring was free (well, almost)
It's your truck, if you wanna hack the coil buckets off and weld them on again to get 4" of ride height, that's your prerogative. You'll still need longer arms, shocks, and a track bar drop of some sort.

Looks like you've done everything else right on your truck, be a shame to do a hack job like that on a 3rd gen just to save a few bucks....
Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 AM

Lots o' junk in this thread not pertaining to the original title, so I may as well pile on some more...

K, SSminnow..... I said it before that for MOUNTING purposes the shock was done that way. I calculated loads/forces with the spring travel/valving I used, the customers budget, and his want to run THOSE shocks. His budget would not fund the fender well/battery/electronics being relocated so the hoop could not be taller. I would have LOVED to put some 10" travel shocks on there in double shear droped right under the hoop..

This kid BEATS on this truck, does ZERO upkeep, and to this day it has had not ONE issue on MY end. Fords end of the deal I can't say that for though..

Double shear is the better, more stout option FOR SURE, but you to be telling me this is a "NO NO" is kinda getting lame..
Old 09-18-2007, 01:00 AM

Don hope you don't think I was being Lame I love your suspension stuff...I built my own rockbuggy 4 link front and rear with 16" Fox air shocks but I would still run your stuff under my CTD instead of my own

the guy being on a budget explains ALL of it IMHO..I know lots of guys just cant afford to do all the fab work it takes to make it perfect, and since it is a leaf spring set-up he could take the shock off and run down the freeway and not die
like I said early I over reacted when I said "death waiting to happen"
I apologize for that
Old 09-18-2007, 01:01 AM

Rise Kit

I'm gonna say that without seeing more detailed pictures of the steering bellcrank, I can't HONESTLY comment on that part of it, but the control arm bracketry and geometry looks pretty good and strong..

I can't see the trackbar drop either, which is really important..

The steering just looks like there is too much going on though. It very well might steer like a Porsche, but I would bet otherwise. One of the advantages of going to a bellcrank/idler setup would be that you can go back to a zero drop pitman, but it still looks like they are using a drop pitman, which would have more flex.

I'll be interested to see more pictures..

Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 AM

I am also going to use stock coils and drop the stock upper coil bucket down 3-4", which will put me @ 3-4" of lift over stock, and since I am using stock coils, should give me stock ride
Stock ride, AND stock travel... Coil bind??

edit: Mark, no worries at ALL...
Old 09-18-2007, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by THURENfab.
Stock ride, AND stock travel... Coil bind??
Eliminates the need for bump stops
Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cowhand
It's your truck, if you wanna hack the coil buckets off and weld them on again to get 4" of ride height, that's your prerogative. You'll still need longer arms, shocks, and a track bar drop of some sort.

Looks like you've done everything else right on your truck, be a shame to do a hack job like that on a 3rd gen just to save a few bucks....

Don't worry, there will be a build thread on teh truck after it is completely finished.

Maybe you did not read the thread??? I am making my own links, track bar, mounts, and such.

The truck was originally 2wd. How does that grab ya

Quick Reply: Rize Industries Announced their new Dodge lift