3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

rip 112, at 12:01 I will be ready to read about your new turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hurry up Rip. Put it all on today.Don't worry about running that mp-8.You've got a new clutch so go ahead and smoke that stocker!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I could get rid of the hangover I would be able to start!!! Lol I'm gonna take my time, no rush, just get everything on and maybe tonight or tomorrow I will have pics posted. Ya'll be patient....I had to!!!! I'm not putting the MP-8 on right now or the clutch, so I'm gonna see how much the stocker will handle. Ol girls held strong enough for a long time, wondering what it'll look like when they get it off.

So I would be safe to say that the Smarty should be updated to aftermarket turbo/ stock injectors? Or should I try for one of the betas? I need some suggestions. I'm not all for the super touchy lo throttle, but I need the best running program that wont be pushing my stock cp3.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
oh the anticipation! Hung over a bit are we Rick? now that is funny.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:23 PM
JRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you made your bed just to take that pic, dont lie!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:26 PM

Ya'll are too funny. I feel much better now, especially since I got that oil return line back on. Boy, talk about pain, I'd have to be a midget with itty bitty hands to get those screws back on. Now I know why it has been suggested to take the manifold off and do it on the table. I wasn't looking for any extra work so we did it with it on the truck. A little cussing, adjusting, a little rage, and finally SUCCESS. It makes the truck sound so awesome, the whistle is VERY noticeable, if you thought your stock turbos screamed, you'll love the whine of this baby! It has that flutter in the exhaust, whistlin' away, and when you go to shift it makes an awesome hiss like the big rigs. I'm very satisfied, thats for sure!

I currently have the Smarty set on 2.11b sw 7. The response is very linear, pushed past 40psi pretty dang fast, and 80mph gets there before you know it. Egts are close to stock; truthfully I couldn't tell much of a difference at all, holding 575*-700* on the road @ 65mph, didn't even see 1100* on the wot runs. The clutch isn't doing so good in 6th, signs of slippage are showing. I expected it, so the clutch goes in hopefully this week. Then I will add the MP-8 to the show, and see what I can come up with.

Rick
Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
Looking Good!!!!

This thing is a mammoth compared to the stocker!

thats a cute little guy
im just giving you are hard time. you have some nice parts to install im sure with that setup your truck will run strong and spool up quick
Old 03-08-2008, 09:36 PM

I know, I know, its nothing compared to the big boys and the twins, but it sure is big compared to the little stocker I had. I'm just glad its on, and I hope to never have to touch it again for a long time!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It wasn't that bad was it????? It was for sure a tight fit getting it under the exhaust manifold studs. That was the hardest part of the whole ordeal in my book. If you do it again you will be a whole lot faster at it. I can see doing this in 1 hr no problem. I beat lmills can do it that fast.....
Old 03-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Banned

Lets See....... A5k and a 62/13 Ya there is a little difference But I bet Your 62 is a blst to dirve stop light to stop light You'll be very happy with your decision. Your clutch(stocker) not so much. Your going to have a nice set-up
Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Its a blast to drive period. I have to get that clutch in!!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:51 AM

One more pic of it installed. Looks good!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:51 AM

Rick glad to hear the install is done & your happy

once you break it in with some miles / hours the turbo works even better
Old 03-09-2008, 12:56 PM

Did you notice much difference in spool compared to the stock turbo with the box? Is there more smoke at launch?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks desertchecker, I'm driving it as much as I can to get it broke in. Its starting to whistler louder in the exhause, its such a sweet melody!

Yes there is more smoke, and a difference in spool. It holds a lower boost # at normal speeds, as it is bigger and takes more air and fuel to spool it, so there is a little time difference, about 1 second, but by the time you think about it the lightning strikes and you're at 42 psi. There was a loss in low end power, since the quicker spooling stocker isn't there, but once the turbo lights it is all high balling! It sounds more like a 2nd gen 24 valve now at take off.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
Thanks desertchecker, I'm driving it as much as I can to get it broke in. Its starting to whistler louder in the exhause, its such a sweet melody!

Yes there is more smoke, and a difference in spool. It holds a lower boost # at normal speeds, as it is bigger and takes more air and fuel to spool it, so there is a little time difference, about 1 second, but by the time you think about it the lightning strikes and you're at 42 psi. There was a loss in low end power, since the quicker spooling stocker isn't there, but once the turbo lights it is all high balling! It sounds more like a 2nd gen 24 valve now at take off.

How do you feel about the "slower" spool????????????

Initialy right now do you "think" about your choice or is it AWESOME???????

Thank you for sharing all the fun new toys!

Quick Reply: rip 112, at 12:01 I will be ready to read about your new turbo