3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Rickson 19.5" Tire Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rickson 19.5" Tire Comments?

Would like to get some comments from anyone who has Rickson wheels on their SRW vehicle. Since 'E' load range tire capacity seems to be the limiting factor in the GVWR rathings of the SRW trucks it seems that by going to 19.5 tires you could run up to the real limit of the AA axles on the HO 2500 and 3500, easily obtaining as much capacity as as a dual wheel load range E tire configuration. Since the DRW and SRW versions of the 3500 and HO 2500 have the same running gear (except for the extra tires on the DRW) it seems that there should be no other chassis limitations. So, wondering what experiences you've had running 19.5" tires? (Just comments on the 19.5" tires please - no need to note that 'the sticker won't change' or 'just get a dually'... I don't want a dually if there is another practical way to achieve the same end.). Thanks -
Old 05-20-2004, 12:37 AM

I've had the same goal.......

Would love to hear from someone running the commercial tires. Do they have a similar ride to LT tires? Do they really get such high longevity? Which of the ones advertised by Rickson do you prefer.

so on and so on
Old 05-20-2004, 01:44 AM

Hey.

I have the Ricksons. I've run them for 50K miles and the tread looks like they have another 100K on them. This is just a guess. I'll have to measure the tread on the running tires vs. the spare tire that has never been used to see how much it's worn away in this time.

I got the Dunlop SP351 tires (Load Range H 245/70/19.5) which are 4 steer tires totally for highway. I think that these were a little overkill for what I've done with them so far (max. gcw of 20,000 and not frequently), but for what I would like to do in the future, they will be good. I'd like to run right up to 26,000#. With a 18,000# trailer having a 4500# tongue weight, plus the stock rear end weight of the truck of say 3500#, I still have a 2000# safety margin before I hit the max. load on the tires (about 5000# each).

At first, the ride felt a little wobbly, which I wasn't expecting because of the stiffness of the tire, but I attribute this to the MASSIVE weight of the tires. My guess would be that the tire/wheel combination weighs 200 pounds each. But when you need it, these tires inflate up to 120 PSI! Talk about stiff.

I got 5 of them and they were $2500 shipped which is obviously not cheap. People give me looks like what the hell are these, and do NOT believe me when I say my truck has *nearly* the capacity of a dually. I would get a spare if you're going far from home, because you will be lucky to find a truck stop that carrys 19.5's in your size, brand and load rating or at all.

From a money standpoint, I don't honestly know what the price difference (new) between a SRW 3500 and DRW 3500 is. If the price difference is about 2000 bucks, take the SRW, sell the new wheels and get the Ricksons.

If you're getting them after the fact, with the tires lasting so long, you might be able to justify it. Maybe.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:41 AM

NJ, how was the winter/snow traction using those steer tires on all four corners?

Did it make a difference if the truck was loaded or unloaded?
Old 05-20-2004, 09:43 AM

Any pictures with the wheels and tires on there?
Old 05-21-2004, 09:50 AM

You will have the load capacity everywhere but on the door sticker. That door sticker will be very important if you ever have a to sit in the defendants chair in a court room. Believe me after a 1.6 million dollar law suit, I know.
Bryan
Old 05-21-2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Posm
Believe me after a 1.6 million dollar law suit, I know.
Please tell us more...

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2004, 07:15 PM
db

While the 5000 lb. rating of the tires are impressive - the rims are only rated at 3600 lbs. Go figure

I still want a set myself.

db
Old 05-21-2004, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Posm
You will have the load capacity everywhere but on the door sticker. That door sticker will be very important if you ever have a to sit in the defendants chair in a court room. Believe me after a 1.6 million dollar law suit, I know.
Bryan
ditto..... (tell us more)
Old 05-22-2004, 12:28 AM

Winter/wet traction is honestly not very good!

The rims are not rated at 3600, they're rated at 4500 according to Rickson and that is said to be a modest rating.

http://p90.cdevco.net:8080/rickson/ for some pics. They're not very pretty but they are functional!

You can have a shop that is qualified to modify trucks (e.g. chop off frames, swap axles, suspension, etc.) put a new sticker on your truck to show the new rating.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by njoverkill You can have a shop that is qualified to modify trucks (e.g. chop off frames, swap axles, suspension, etc.) put a new sticker on your truck to show the new rating.
Can you tell me some more about this? I keep reading comments around here to the effect that God himself could never change the manufacturer's GVWR once that hallowed sticker has been applied at the factory, yet I've also seen several references to having a vehicle 'recertified' for higher weights. Can the sticker in fact be upped after proper aftermarket chagnes are made?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by smiller
Can you tell me some more about this? I keep reading comments around here to the effect that God himself could never change the manufacturer's GVWR once that hallowed sticker has been applied at the factory, yet I've also seen several references to having a vehicle 'recertified' for higher weights. Can the sticker in fact be upped after proper aftermarket chagnes are made?
I don't know exactly. I imagine with proper mods you could have the GVW upped to whatever a 3500 dually is... Which is... 12000 or 12500 ???
Old 05-24-2004, 01:42 PM

Posm,

Your story if you choose to share it could be a real eye opener for some. I keep reading about these stories of accidents, lawsuits, and arrests for overweight trucks but nobody ever knows the details. The same is true on the RV forums alot of talk but no facts. You could do us all a service by sharing your insight into this subject.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:34 PM

The accident was in a rain soaked road out of state. I was working there at the time. It had not rained for several months and the roads were very slick. I came to the first stop light after leaving the motel and the light turned as I was aproaching it. I attemped to stop, but the road was slick. The other driver was coming up to the light as it changed and got into the intersection just as I slid into it. I T-boned him on the passanger side. He was hurt very badly, but was back at work in about two weeks. I pulled the law suit to see and the amount, it was 1.75 million. I was not loaded at the time so the GVW did not come into play. I cannot imagine the suit if I had been beyoyond the "design" paramaters of the truck. Th suit was settled for a lot less than the above amount, but more than most will ever save in there life time.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:08 PM

Glad to hear that you escaped a dire lawsuit! But... since you were unloaded at the time what you described was essentially a very common type of traffic accident. It doesn't speak to the specifics of this particular topic or any special liability of a loaded rig any more than any of the other thousands of ordinary traffic accidents that happen every day.

But again... I'm sure that it was a terrible experience, glad that it didn't turn out worse.

Quick Reply: Rickson 19.5" Tire Comments?