3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Revo settings for mileage...what have you found?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TNT #7 Timing 3, tq 4, rp 2 19.5mpg
TNT #3 Timing 3 tq2 rp2, towing 22' boat 9-10mpg(sucked)
Old 07-25-2008, 02:57 AM

Oh ya and scrubbed on trailer and boat for three hours to get the black off from 600 mile trip.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:57 PM

I just went from 4.11 to the Revo tune and now at an idle I haze alittle and it seems to smoke under normal driving conditions alot more??? Any suggestions right now I am running SW#3, Tq #2, timming 4, RP2
Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 PM

Revo #7
Shift-0
TQ-2
Timing-4
Rail-3
WG-1

About 540 of this tank was Highway(To and from Burl. VT.) then 200 mixed driving highway and around town. 740 on the tank and 36 gallons to fill. I think I could have hit 800 if I pressed it. The goofy computer thing said I still had 13 miles to go and I have been at least 40 past that in the past.

Very happy with the driving manners. Still fairly smokey if I step on the pedal quick but that is more of the Turbo. Hoping sticks/cam may help that down the road...

This was the last tank before doing the free-spin hubs... Lets hope that the kit helps mpg even more..
Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by CoolumConst
Oh ya and scrubbed on trailer and boat for three hours to get the black off from 600 mile trip.
We have a very close setup. I am still only thing different is my injectors are f2 and my cp3 is a floor-it stg 2.. Have you found a combo that tows good egt wise and doesn't stain up your trailer yet?

I'm still searching. Tried beta 4.4 again but rail pressure while driving with a 12k trailer hits 25k all the time at like half throttle..
Old 08-01-2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
Revo #7
Shift-0
TQ-2
Timing-4
Rail-3
WG-1

About 540 of this tank was Highway(To and from Burl. VT.) then 200 mixed driving highway and around town. 740 on the tank and 36 gallons to fill. I think I could have hit 800 if I pressed it. The goofy computer thing said I still had 13 miles to go and I have been at least 40 past that in the past.

Very happy with the driving manners. Still fairly smokey if I step on the pedal quick but that is more of the Turbo. Hoping sticks/cam may help that down the road...

This was the last tank before doing the free-spin hubs... Lets hope that the kit helps mpg even more..
Question: Do you think that your performance with these settings has anything to do with your TNT? I don't have the TNT but was going to try your settings for heading over to Mexico this weekend (about 600 miles). I am looking for any and all assistance as I only got 18 mpg on my last long haul doing 74 mph most of the way and only lightly loaded.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:15 PM

This was using Revo not the TNT Revo...
MPH 65-68 with my 3.73gears and 34.5" tires is around 1600-1700 rpm (3.42 overall gearing). GPS calibrated my speedo using Smarty and Magellan.

What do you have for gearing? Tire size?
Speed uses fuel... Go slower and see if your MPG goes up.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:18 PM

Slower speeds, going over 1200 miles, means longer time in the saddle - not so much fun!

I managed to get 18.5 MPG at 1900 RPM, about 74 mph, with the Revo #3, Tim=4, Torque = 2, RP = 2, Wastegate = Off, and the XZT set at 3. I also tried setting the XZT to 0 but it seems to only have hurt the MPG (it dropped to 17.5). I am running 34.5" BFGs and not sure on the gearing (I think that they are 3.73's). I too calibrated my speedo using a GPS and I am within 0.5 mph.

This trip was from San Antonio to El Paso (round trip) and the average temp while driving was about 95 degrees with spikes in excess of 100 degrees. I don't know if altitude makes a difference either, but I was going from about 1000 ft. to over 5000 ft. above sea level throughout the trip.

I am starting to think that this is a lost cause. Traveling I-10 at 65 MPH when the speed limit is 80 is nearly impossible, unless I want to be a grease spot on the highway!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Just got my smarty along with some other necessary mods. Just wondering how some of you guys are running the Revo/TNT versions without larger injectors or other mods to gain fuel mileage?

What does the Revo/TNT provide in terms of tuning that the regular CaTCHER software doesn't? Still confused on this whole Smarty thing and scared that I am gonna end up screwing my truck up!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:38 PM

What does the Revo/TNT provide in terms of tuning that the regular CaTCHER software doesn't? Still confused on this whole Smarty thing and scared that I am gonna end up screwing my truck up![/QUOTE]

First of all don't link revo and tnt software. Revo is daily driver ( regular catcher) and tnt is the race tune...simple. Tnt requires tranny,turbo,injectors,springs etc. Revo does not unless you go above level 3 on a auto or level 5 on a stick. Relax and enjoy the power but be warned.........you play above level 5...you pay
Old 08-08-2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by N.Johnson
What does the Revo/TNT provide in terms of tuning that the regular CaTCHER software doesn't? Still confused on this whole Smarty thing and scared that I am gonna end up screwing my truck up!
First of all don't link revo and tnt software. Revo is daily driver ( regular catcher) and tnt is the race tune...simple. Tnt requires tranny,turbo,injectors,springs etc. Revo does not unless you go above level 3 on a auto or level 5 on a stick. Relax and enjoy the power but be warned.........you play above level 5...you pay[/QUOTE]

So are you saying that my CaTCHER software on my Smarty already came with Revo?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:21 AM

TEXWS6,
Smarty software:
Catcher 4.11 (No longer on Mads website) No rail pressure.
Revo 4.14 (Daily driver) Adjustable settings and adds rail pressure
TNT 4.14 (Performance)Designed for modified trucks. Can be used on slightly modified trucks using common sense.
TNT/R(Race Tunes) Only available from Bob Wagner and you need a well prepared motor to handle what this package can offer.

I have used all of the versions except for TNT/R. I do not think I could even use all of what TNT offers with my trucks current setup. The plain Catcher software 4.11 does not mess with rail pressure. Revo is comparable to Catcher 4.11 with added rail pressure and allows you to adjust all of the parameters to your choosing. I have used all of the various versions and seem to be getting the best MPG from the Revo. As many have stated it is usually the drivers habits that have the greatest effect on MPG.

You say you got Smarty and other mods? What other items are being added to your truck?

When you plug smarty into the truck. Do you see amenu that states " Adjust Options". If you see this it is the Revo software on the Smarty..
Do not tell yourself any modification you make to your truck is safe. You can break parts on a stock truck without ever adding performance parts.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:44 AM

Intake, exhaust, and gauges are the only mods so far...when you say added rail pressure, I assume you are talking about the ability to adjust rail pressure and not monitor it, correct?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Yes--
Smarty REVOlution software

For the first time the Cummins engine performance tuning software can be customized directly by the
user.
With the Smarty S-06 and S-04 this becomes reality. The first one in the industry !!!
The Revolution starts here…

What has changed?
At first glance not too much… Smarty’s update file now contains all truck models from 2003 to 2007
for the Dodge Cummins 5.9L Common Rail. The new software update is smaller in size than the
previous ones, so it takes less time to update Smarty.
The new update is perfectly compatible with the previous firmware versions.
It is still possible to download into the truck a ready-to-use performance software , just like today. You
do not need to become a rocket scientist to tune your truck, Smarty will do it for you.
Yet , over time your truck’s needs may ( or better worded WILL ) change and you need to adapt the
tuning software to these changes.

Today, this becomes reality!
When you enter the “ECM update“ menu on Smarty you will find a newly added chapter:
“Adjust Options“.
Once entered, this menu allows you to choose among several items and levels of customization.

The items are :

Speed-limiter

RPM Limiter***

Shift limiter***

Torque Management levels

Injection timing

Rail Pressure

Wastegate

The levels are :
Speed-limiter

From 25 to 250 mph in one mile increments

RPM Limiter***

# 0 - Stock
# 1 - 4000 RPM

Shift Limiter***

# 0 - Stock (On)
# 1 - Off ( also shift light indicator will be turned off )

Torque Management

# 0 - Default
# 1 - Stock
# 2 - Mild
# 3 - Moderate
# 4 - Wild ( aftermarket clutch / AT Transmission recommended )

Injection Timing

# 0 - Default
# 1 - Stock
# 2 - for stock injectors
# 3 - for aftermarket Injectors ( less advanced than # 2 )
# 4 - for fuel economy ( more timing advance than level # 2 )

Rail pressure

# 0 - Default
# 1 - Stock
# 2 - Mild
# 3 - Moderate
# 4 - Wild (aftermarket injectors recommended)

Wastegate ( for 2004.5 and up trucks only )

# 0 - Stock (On)
# 1 - Off ( for aftermarket turbo )

The above descriptions are for the REVO standard software.

Below is for TNT
Speed-limiter:
From 25 to 250 mph in one mile increments
Torque Management:
# 0 - Default
# 1 - Stock
# 2 - Mild
# 3 - Moderate
# 4 - Wild ( aftermarket clutch / AT Transmission recommended )
Then higher the # you choose then less torque management remains and then more aggressive the throttle response becomes.
Shift defuel:
# 0 - Stock (On)
# 1 - Off
Often called erroneously “ torque management”, this function disables the stock software engine power de rate during
automatic transmission shifts or boosted launch. Please note that the shift light indicator on the dash will also become disabled.
ATTENTION! The use of this feature is potentially DANGEROUS even for the best build aftermaket transmission!!!
Do not even THINK to use it with a stock transmission or a simple valve body! Full billet is a must here!
Injection Timing:
# 0 - Default
# 1 - Stock
# 2 - for aftermarket injectors
# 3 - for Hugh aftermarket Injectors ( less timing advance than # 2 )
# 4 – for use with NOs ( less timing advance than level # 3 )
The odd numbered SW's ( 1,3,5,7 & 9 ) use the advanced timing and the even numbered SW's ( 2,4,6 & 8 ) use the stock timing.
This is only true if you do not adjust the options! With the Revo you can choose ANY timing you want, no matter if the Catcher you'll
download is odd or even! You CAN, add timing to the software's that have none, or use the stock timing in the odd # ones. Your
pleasure.... By definition for all adjustable options the default is # 2. EXCEPT for the timing. The timing has two defaults. # 1 for the
even numbered SW's ( stock timing ) # 2 for the odd numbered SW ( advanced timing ). To avoid confusion and to help the customer
in returning all levels to default ( if need be ), key # 0 is used to return Smarty back to the default levels. This is most important for
the timing. When Smarty is set back to default with key # 0, the even numbered software's will use the stock timing and the odd
numbered ones the advanced timing.
The injection timing is critical for the engine responsiveness and overall performance. The difference between one timing level and
the next one can be as much as 85Hp! Which is the right one? That depends upon the mods done to the engine.... The only valid
way to find out is a dyno. Boost pressure readings “per se” just don't do the trick. A more advanced timing will typically produce
less boost than a more retarded one but that does not mean that the more advanced timing provides less power.
Rail pressure:
# 0 - Default
# 1 - Stock
# 2 - Mild
# 3 – Moderate
# 4 – Wild*
* In order to avoid damage to the injection system, do not use for prolonged time.
Wastegate: ( for the 2004.5 and up trucks with the electronic wastegate only )
# 0 - Stock (On)
# 1 - Off ( for aftermarket turbo )
Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 AM

How do you guys monitor rail pressure that are running the Smarty?

Quick Reply: Revo settings for mileage...what have you found?